Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GPS suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Checking for little holes in the main screen post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

resurrecting this thread as i will soon be looking for a GPS of my own and I presume there have been new models released since the old posts. I'm looking for something reasonably cheap but the features i would...

need:

a screen showing Speed, location, compass
waterproof
Charts of the waters around Western Australia
computer interface to see what you have done, like bob :)

Wants:
barometer/thermometer
the ability to add new maps
Ability to play music
Ability to double as car navigation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSx. The compass feature is a trivial application—you have a GPS which pretty much relegates compasses to emergency bag backup. In 5+ yrs use, I’ve never had to use either the 76’s compass or a traditional compass.

Although I have not checked them out in detail, as far as I can tell all handheld Garmin units have the same functioning software. They give you speed, average speed, max speed, VMG (velocity made good—very useful to sailors), lay down a track, save tracks, routes, bearing, heading, odometer, etc, etc, etc. I use the altimeter when I am in the mountains out west (in the USA). The mapping ones will provide car navigation—but they are not going to talk to you.

It seems the main differences with the newer more expensive devices are touch screens, maybe, faster processors, and more sensitive GPS receivers. i.e., compared w/ my 5-yr-plus old 76. The comments on this thread about the Garmin 400 vs the Garmin 76 seem to be on the mark—the 400 is more difficult to read.

I would never buy a black and white display unless there was an insurmountable money problem—again, too hard to read. Color is like a quantum leap in easier reading.

If your unit will be in contact with saltwater regularly—like every time you go out—I recommend all GPS units be kept in some sort of dry bag (AquaPac or at least a baggy like Chris uses) otherwise they have an 18-24 month lifetime—it does not matter that they claim to be “waterproof.”

When I must buy a new GPS, it will be either another 76 or, possibly, a 60. A friend of mine bought a 60 (she says on my recommendation), it is definitely faster and better at picking up satellites (mine is 5-yrs old!), and gets 30 hrs on 2 AA batteries. Since I am very good at turning off my GPS when not in use, 30 hrs on 2 batteries would last me on a 7-day AI-camping trip.

If you want to play music, get an mp3 player.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Keith said, Dave. Also for local conditions, Garmin Topo Australia (map software) is excellent for most boating purposes, plus very handy as an in-car navigator. Blue Charts Pacific is the nominal boating software, but really only useful if you go out to sea a lot, as it has little detail about inland waterways or coastal landmarks. BTW, Bob has a GPSMap 76CSx also, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Keith (edit and Chris) says ^^^^^

I've got an older 76s. The features are great although it's showing its age with small internal memory and hard to read screen. I'd go a new color one in a flash. New ones have got USB interface (mine's still RS-232), memory cards and much better color screens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cheers guys,

Chekika, the reason i want the compass is so I can know where winds will be coming from, If i know the forcast, but yeh i think its a common feature.

looked up some reviews on goodgearguide.com

GPSMAP 76Cx 3.5/5 stars
A handheld GPS device that offers good value. Review by James Hutchinson (Good Gear Guide) 06/11/2008 10:20:00

Despite a significant price jump from the GPSMAP 76, Garmin’s GPSMAP 76Cx is a handheld GPS device that offers good value. With a colour screen, USB connectivity and expandable memory, the GPSMAP 76Cx is a decent buy.

The GPSMAP 76Cx has the same design as the rest of the GPS 76 range, with the device’s buttons arranged above the display and rather dated styling, making for a somewhat ugly look. Still, it does the job, with a case built to IPX-7 standards and a design that allows it to float. An external antenna port means the GPSMAP 76Cx is can be used in areas with sub-par reception.

Garmin doesn’t specify the GPSMAP 76Cx’s GPS receiver, though it does perform adequately. Cold signal acquisition took slightly over three minutes on a clear day, with accuracy to within 5m.

There are a number of benefits that the GPSMAP 76Cx has over the base model, including a 256-colour LCD. Oddly, this device actually has a lower resolution than that found on the , though the difference isn’t substantial. Colour isn’t strictly necessary on a basic GPS device, though it does help in distinguishing features on more detailed maps.

One of the most appealing features of the GPSMAP 76Cx is the addition of USB connectivity. The can only connect to a PC via a serial port, but this unit provides both the proprietary serial connection as well as a mini-USB port.

Garmin bundles its MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager software with the device. Though the software is rather basic, it allows you to easily transfer waypoints, tracks and maps to the device.

As with most handheld GPS units, the integrated base map on the GPSMAP 76Cx doesn’t quite cut it. It provides basic city and major road information for Pacific countries, but lacks even the railway and nautical topography information included on the . However, while users of the GPSMAP 76 are restricted to a rather paltry 8MB for storing additional maps, the GPSMAP 76Cx offers a microSD card slot for expandable storage. The slot is hidden discreetly under the unit’s battery cover.

Although we weren’t able to test the device with detailed maps, the device’s redraw rate for the integrated base map is significantly better than the 's. This may have been because of the less detailed map (bar the addition of colour), but it allowed for a quicker refresh between each zoomed position.

Oregon 400c 3.75/5 stars
Sail the seven seas without getting lost. Review by James Hutchinson (Good Gear Guide) 23/09/2008 10:20:00

Sitting at the top of Garmin’s handheld GPS range, the Oregon 400c doesn’t have all the frills of Magellan’s but it still has a host of features to suit a wide range of situations.

The Oregon 400c follows the familiar styling of other Oregon devices with grey plastic and rubber casing. Built to an IPX-7 standard with rubber protection for the unit’s mini-USB port, the Oregon 400c is shock- and water-proof, making it suitable for the rigours of outdoor adventures. The unit’s cleverly designed back cover clamp allows for the attachment of a carabiner.

In terms of features, the Oregon 400c is identical to the Oregon 300 in almost every way. A 3in touch screen eradicates the need for a confusing button layout and provides easy access to the device’s map, electronic compass and other navigation functions. Like the Oregon 300, the Oregon 400c has a microSD slot and enough internal memory to save up to 10,000 user-generated points of interest and 20 tracks.

Whereas most of the Oregon 300’s internal memory goes unused, the Oregon 400c comes preloaded with Garmin’s BlueChart g2 coastal charts for Australia and New Zealand. The maps provide a huge amount of extra information on top of the base map, including tidal charts, shaded depth contours, major land features and submarine lines. Complemented by basic depth information for up to 100km offshore, the BlueChart g2 maps provide invaluable information for a seafarer.

Although these maps aren’t available separately for Australia and New Zealand, the $249 premium for BlueChart g2 Pacific Ocean maps makes the $100 price hike between the Oregon 300 and 400c a softer blow. If you need marine maps for these regions, going with the 400c is a cheaper option than upgrading the Oregon 300’s maps. Preloading the maps onto the unit’s internal memory also leaves the Oregon 400c’s microSD slot free for adding other marine detail maps or Garmin’s City Navigator maps, purchased separately for $195.

A common problem we encounter with Garmin’s Oregon series is slow signal acquisition. The Oregon 400c was fairly surprising in this regard. Although initial start-up took over three minutes, the device’s HotFix technology meant that subsequent cold acquisition times were closer to a minute. These times are fairly reasonable, though we would have liked the 400c to have an external antenna port as found on the for greater sensitivity in difficult environments.

Unlike the Magellan , the Oregon 400c doesn’t boast an integrated camera or flashlight. Still, the unit provides basic navigational features such as geocaching, location-specific fishing and hunting times, and an electronic compass. The Oregon 400c’s 'Share Wirelessly' function remains our favourite addition: the ability to share routes, waypoints and geocaches between compatible Garmin GPS devices wirelessly.

Regular sea-voyagers and off-coast fishermen are likely to find a valuable companion in the Oregon 400c.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

guys with the garmin gpsmap series can you add maps from other companies besides garmin, like navionics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

got the gpsmap 60Cx with the Garmin Bluecharts, sweet! I thought the mount look flimsy so i'm just gonna hold on to it or keep it in the pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave, I believe you are stuck with Garmin proprietory maps for their devices. The good news is that you can use other software like National Geographic TOPO! to set up waypoints and routes. These can then be uploaded to the Garmin GPS (but not the Natl Geo maps.) I don't know what Natl Geo has for TOPO! maps in Australia.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12060&p=66634&hilit=topo#p66634

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I managed to score garmin bluecharts for next to nothing, with mmy new GPSmap 60cx! Now i just have to figure out how to use it properly, the instructions are so so. For example say i want to go to Garden island, which i can see is labelled on the map how can i choose to go to that location or do i have to put in a new waypoint there and then choose to go to the waypoint? Also for those guys that upload there stats of max speed distance etc how do you do that????

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a GPSmap 60cx but this style of GPS typically uses waypoints or a string of waypoints (route). The GPSmap 76 family has a trip log function. It gets reset at the start of the trip and keeps a running tally on your trip stats as you go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yep managed to get my tracks uploaded to the mapsource software but can't figure out how to see the screen showing speeds and distance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
yep managed to get my tracks uploaded to the mapsource software but can't figure out how to see the screen showing speeds and distance.

You want the Trip Computer screen. See page 37 and 52 of the manual :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:

I'm told the 60CX has an identical interface to the 76CSX, in which case you keep pressing the "Page" button, to cycle through the available screens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next