Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: mast light
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

toomanyboats wrote:
Jim -

Next time I'm out your way, you can bet on it.

By the way, those Eveready Glow Sticks use a single LED, and I noticed the item description for your Paddlers Supply deck light indicates it uses two LEDs. But I couldn't find any information about the red and green navigation lights you have. Do they use one or two LEDs? I ask because I was wondering about the brightness level difference, and the viewable distance that two LEDs might have over a single.

The only difference between the white light and the red & green lights is the color of the plastic lens. It's the same two LED light.

We look forward to seeing you. If you can't bring your boat along, I'm sure we can find one for you to play with.

Happy (night) sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

I have not been following this thread, but I think the mast is robust enough for a couple pounds up there, no problem.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Those twin led marker lights are made by Tektite. See here http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2162

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sailorsloan wrote:

Those twin led marker lights are made by Tektite. See here http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2162

Yep, those would be the ones.

Happy Night-Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've just been out giving my sail a good wash now that the gale force winds have died off...

Originally I thought of running a cable down the inside of the mast for the on/off switch but didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the mast. However why not run a small cable down the sail sleeve that goes around the mast?

I'll have a bit more of a think and see what switches and cable I can find....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:

Originally I thought of running a cable down the inside of the mast for the on/off switch but didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the mast. However why not run a small cable down the sail sleeve that goes around the mast?

I'll have a bit more of a think and see what switches and cable I can find....

What kind of lights are you using? LED or light bulbs? Also, how long do you leave the boat rigged for? In a test with my LED light, I left it running and it stayed lit for between 4 & 5 days. More than 110 hours, but it died while I was at work, so less than 125. This was using the same batteries that had already been left on overnight twice when I came back from night sails and left the boat tied up at the dock. All told, that puts it somewhere around the 140 hours that the package said to expect. So, as long as you're unrigging the boat (or tipping the mast over to the dock as I did) at least once every 6 days, just turn it on when you rig & turn it off when you tear down. It's only three AA batteries, and I suspect that you can buy a lot of batteries before you make up what you'll spend on the parts & the weatherproofing. And you're right about not drilling the carbon fiber mast. That would create a weak spot right near the area where it is under the greatest stress. Last I checked, a replacement was about $800 US.

Happy Night Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you know or realise you're going to be out after dark, it's no biggy to take the mast down and put the light on anyway. From a safety angle, it's the bow and stern lights that are important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In a long discussion a year or two ago at Kayak Fishing Stuff forum, it was suggested that kayaks only show a solid white light at night, like a boat at anchor, because when powerboats see the normal red/green lights, they expect it to be able to get out of their way, not expecting it to be a slower kayak. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a good point Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhh, and you will also find mention of 360 deg unobstructed light (above head height). So depending on local laws the mast may be the best "legal" place to put a light while sailing.
That's not to say it's the only place of course.

I was also thinking about LED lights shining back onto the sail from the AMA's. Shouldn't be able to miss the AI's sail all lit up like that. A torch could be used to do the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:

Ahhh, and you will also find mention of 360 deg unobstructed light (above head height). So depending on local laws the mast may be the best "legal" place to put a light while sailing.
That's not to say it's the only place of course.

I was also thinking about LED lights shining back onto the sail from the AMA's. Shouldn't be able to miss the AI's sail all lit up like that. A torch could be used to do the same thing.

The white light on the mast head gives visibility at the greatest distance.

Lights on the amas, directed at the sail, would make the sail visible from a good distance. It would also, however, completely ruin any night vision you might have. You want to be seen, but you also want to be able to see. If you want to have a light shining on the sail, use one that is mounted behind you, so it's not shining into your eyes.

I use the white masthead LED light, and the red & green LED running lights mounted on the foredeck. I also keep a 3 D-cell mag light within reach. If an approaching boat does not appear to have seen me, I can shine that on the sail, or even towards the approaching craft. I've only done that once, and it turned out that they had seen me, but were curious what kind of boat I was. Go figure, even in the dark the AI draws folks in. :D

Happy Night Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a 360 degree kayak light on the suction cup on stuck to the front hatch, and carry a Sears 19.2v flourescent light in a dry bag with a window. I can turn it on and illuminate the sail without opening the bag. I believe that being able to illuminate the sail is the only Coast Guard requirement, but a continuous light is a good idea but not required.

I'd be afraid to mount something more than a few ounces on the mast head, you never know when you'll get caught in a blow, and if the mast starts getting whipped around, 2 pounds leverage on 16 feet adds up quick!

Playing around in Puget Sound, if I need to cross a shipping lane, I think I'd like to get something up on the mast head.

Matt, can your geniuses at Hobie come up with a small masthead light and radar reflector that would mount on the mast?
I think if it had a simple waterproof pull off switch that you could attach a small parachute cord line on, and run it down the sail sleeve. Having it pull off gives a fail safe, if the cord comes loose, the light comes on, tugging down and securing the line turns it off.

I'd be willing to spring a few bucks to pre-order something like that, if it would help defray the R&D costs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started into AI's cause I thought there were no real rules and regulations except common sense. Now I'm gett'n this 'Section 12.8.03 clause B of the Maritime Illumination Code' etc...etc.
If some Coast Guard comes over and fines me for shin'n my torch at the Disco Ball mounted on top of my mast, then I'll flog off the AI and sign up on the Trainspotters Forum. :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Don't kneed mast lights out here, but a friend from CA recommends having a flashlight handy. When a boat is in your vicinity, simply shine the light on your sail. It then shines brightly to those who might mow you down. Comments?

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Chris

That also is how we do it here on Maui, during early morning fishing.

Kayaking Bob