Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all the folks, who post their AI vid or pix on the web! :) I saw some mods regarding the seat in the AI. The seat, which comes with the AI, is great, but during longer legs I'm would like to lean on something solid for a moment. Does anybody has some mod suggestions what the easiest and best approach would be? I generally like to keep mods, which require holes in the hull, to a minimum.

Any tips are appreciated!

Cheers,
Torsten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Torsten and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what seat you have or exactly what you mean by having something solid to lean on. Perhaps you are referring to the need for more back support?

IMO, the '07 to '09 seatback is the least supportive of all 3 that Hobie has used in recent years. The '10 is a nice improvement in that regard. Shown back-to-back here, the '10 (right side) has a higher back and higher strap mounts for firmer back support.
Both have a lumbar support, but the '10 version is deflatable. Personally, I prefer the straight back and the '10 gives that option.

On the other hand, the '06 seatback offers the most support of the three. Again, compared with the '07 - '09 in this next picture (shown face to face), it is taller, with higher strap mounts and wider wings.
You can see it has less padding, so the fiberglass staves support the back more directly. It also is the best breathing of any of the seats for less back sweating. There was an aluminum stave version of this seat that unfortunately could be easily deformed and became uncomfortable. This seat (with the correct staves) is still available from Hobie, and probably at a great price. This offers the best back support and is my favorite seat by far -- I even have spares for when the current one wears out! Because it is thinner, it also gives a little more effective leg length for tall pedalers who are otherwise maxed out on pedal distance.

Moving beyond back support, the i-comfort seat pad is a tremendous improvement over any of the standard seat bottoms. When sailing the AI, it isn't as noticeable since you're moving around quite a bit, although it doesn't fold under your butt like the standard pad does. But after pedaling 1/2 hour, its comfort begins to really be noticed. Shown here with my '06 seatback, I never go anywhere without it.

Finally, moving beyond comfort to convenience, here is a pic of the three backpacks that come with each of these seats.
The '06 version has loads of space, two compartments and holds cameras, lunch, and a wind breaker. Additionally, it has 2 bottle holders and has easy access to both compartments. Below it is the '07/'09 version -- much more chic and stylish, it at least holds a set of keys after unzipping it - twice (once to expand it, once to open it). Finally, the '10 version is so petite as to be virtually invisible and holds nothing at all. It is designed for the ultimate weight reduction and clean lines. Both the top two are detachable and usable as a fanny pack.

Hopes this helps address your back support issue and other matters that might be considered relevant to Hobie seating. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Torsten,
I wanted more back support and I also do not like to drill holes if I can avoid it... I came up with this mod for my AI seat...I went to the local thrift/second hand store looking for aluminum tubing parts etc and found a used bathtub seat to help older people shower in the tub...I used the plastic back and and a curved aluminum tube piece to construct my seat...cost $2...the seat back leans against the AI back crossbar and is held in place by a two bungee straps...I added an old fanny pack to the back of the seat for storing stuff...I use my AI wheels to help support the back (see photos)...I didn't like storing the wheels in the scuppers because it might put a crack down in the supper while leaning back against the wheels...(the scupper on my PA had a leak there that took awhile to find)...there is a strap and buckle from the AI crossbar to the wheel crossbar to hold the wheels in place while sailing...I use my padded AI seat for lower back support and my life jacket cushions the upper back against the plastic seat...it's comfortable and gives me freedom to turn side to side when needed...I also use a 1/2 in pad under the AI seat to give me a little more cushion on the tush...It works great for me...hope this gives you some ideas....

Ron

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"