Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roller Furler Jib
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

timo wrote:
Sterling,

I'm having some trouble finding a 3/4 to 3in pvc adapter. Is it possible that I have the sizes wrong or that the furler mchantism is formed of some kind of adapter plus some other pvc coupling parts? Regardless, what I'm after is something that attached the end of the 8ft 3/4in pvc pipe to a drum-like pcv fitting, probably 3 inches in diameter, right? How about the inside of the 3in part -- it is completely open space or is there some more complicated structure (I've seen these drum like parts both open space and filled).

Thanks!

your exactly right your looking for a drum style fitting. Mine is open and i saw at my local lowes two seperate parts that could make the same style drum
your best bet is probably two parts that attach together to make your drum mechanism

can't wait to see your pics!!

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sterling,

Still having trouble figuring out the pvc furler pieces. If you have a minute, would you mind taking a look at this lasco catalog http://www.lascofittings.com/Products/p ... 40.xls.pdf It's brief and downloads fairly quickly. Could you let me know if you see the pieces for the furler drum and its attachment to the jib's 8ft 3/4 inch pvc pipe. Lasco is what is carried up here in our Lowes' stores so I'm hoping this would have your pieces since you bought them Lowes.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

timo wrote:
Sterling,

Still having trouble figuring out the pvc furler pieces. If you have a minute, would you mind taking a look at this lasco catalog http://www.lascofittings.com/Products/p ... 40.xls.pdf It's brief and downloads fairly quickly. Could you let me know if you see the pieces for the furler drum and its attachment to the jib's 8ft 3/4 inch pvc pipe. Lasco is what is carried up here in our Lowes' stores so I'm hoping this would have your pieces since you bought them Lowes.

Thanks!

ok here goes... :D

the parts i used are the Reducer Bushing part number 438-288 for the furler "drum" and the Male Adapter part number 436-007

i found both of these parts at my local lowes

but as i was looking in the catalog you asked me to look in i saw the Reducer Bushing part number 437-288 and 437-334* which are both slip fittings and dont require the extra male adaptors

i used a reducing bushing that is 2 inches in diameter but i cited ones that are 2 and 1/2 inches and 3 inches in diameter in this post.
my 2 inch one works fine but a larger diameter might reef the jib quicker.

hope this helps!!

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks Sterling!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sterling,

The parts list specifies a 14 in length of pvc pipe into which the mast receiver is to be epoxied, but it looks like 14 inches is too long by maybe 3 inches to fit in the space defined from the uderside of the forward hatch cover to the bottom of the forward hatch area. I don't have my mast receiver at hand but I think it runs about 11 to 12 inches in length, though perhaps a little could be cut off. Did you cut yours down? I wonder what's responsible for these length discrepancies, if we have hulls that are different design or mast receivers that are different lengths. Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

timo wrote:
Sterling,

The parts list specifies a 14 in length of pvc pipe into which the mast receiver is to be epoxied, but it looks like 14 inches is too long by maybe 3 inches to fit in the space defined from the uderside of the forward hatch cover to the bottom of the forward hatch area. I don't have my mast receiver at hand but I think it runs about 11 to 12 inches in length, though perhaps a little could be cut off. Did you cut yours down? I wonder what's responsible for these length discrepancies, if we have hulls that are different design or mast receivers that are different lengths. Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

yea about that...
i remeasured that pvc section...
it was only 11 inches long....

i have no idea where 14 inches came from...

sorry about that! lol :oops:

hope this measurement works better for you!

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sterling, I'll add my compliments too!

I'm [im]patiently waiting for delivery of my very first yak, the TI. I too having been wondering how much a jib would help with increasing performance, reducing weather helm, and increasing bow lift.

Using the main mast seems a possibility, provided a ball bearing swivel is used, and light stays taken out (and somewhat aft) to the amas. However, I don't even know just what the top of the rigged mast looks like! If it's not too much of a hassle, would you kindly post a pic of it? Then I could see what I might be able to design...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

captain-max wrote:
Sterling, I'll add my compliments too!

I'm [im]patiently waiting for delivery of my very first yak, the TI. I too having been wondering how much a jib would help with increasing performance, reducing weather helm, and increasing bow lift.

Using the main mast seems a possibility, provided a ball bearing swivel is used, and light stays taken out (and somewhat aft) to the amas. However, I don't even know just what the top of the rigged mast looks like! If it's not too much of a hassle, would you kindly post a pic of it? Then I could see what I might be able to design...

The TI will have a proper hobie designed jib and i believe it attaches to the mainsail mast, which is different to the AIs mast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The TI will have a proper hobie designed jib and i believe it attaches to the mainsail mast, which is different to the AIs mast.

Awesome! Is this official from Hobie? I haven't heard of this before, nor does it feature in their vids or brochures...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

The TI jib is a planned accessory that is still in development. Jim Czarnowski (Penguin Man on the EC 2010 and chief engineer here) used a prototype jib on the race. The system needs further refinement before we can offer this as an accessory. The new TI is actually designed to accept this as a forethought.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The TI jib is a planned accessory that is still in development. Jim Czarnowski (Penguin Man on the EC 2010 and chief engineer here) used a prototype jib on the race. The system needs further refinement before we can offer this as an accessory. The new TI is actually designed to accept this as a forethought.

I guess I'd better not hassle my dealer for one of these just yet :roll: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. I've already 'placed' my order for one! Any pics or vids of the prototype jib? Need something to drool over while I wait for my TI. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Both... in the Everglades Challenge topic / Island Forum.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Sterling (hope you're still monitoring this),

We're just finishing construction of the mast base assembly and moving on now to the furler mechanism and mast stays and we have a couple new questions:

(1) The pics of the lines involved in the furler show three lines (a) an orange one that we believe is used to support the entire sail from the top of the mast to the bow pad eye, (b) a black and red line that looks like its purpose is to make the sail furl or unfurl, and (c) a black and blue line. What is the function of the black and blue line? What does it attach to -- the sail somewhere? Would appreciate whatever extended description you can supply of how to rig all these lines.

(2) When mounting the pad eyes for the shrouds behind the cockpit aka cross bar, it appears that they must be attached with screws because it it seems you can't get inside the boat to hold a nut or a bolt from underneath. Are screws really sufficiently secure? Did you drill a starter hole for the screw first? How deep? A little nervous about this step since putting holes in the boat seems so risky!

Thanks!

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whoops, one more question:

Our last step in building the mast holding structure is to epoxy the pvc pipe to the hobie mast receiver. Can you describe how you did this? One way to do it would be to put the pvc pipe on the mast receiver and then try to flow or inject epoxy down the inner side of the pvc pipe and the outer surface of the mast receiver, but then we aren't sure how to get the epoxy to flow down that relatively narrow space. Another way might be to try to splotch a lot of epoxy onto the mast receiver and then put the pvc pipe over the gooped up mast receiver. Which did you do? What do you recommend? We haven't done this type of thing before and aren't sure how much flow to expect from the epoxy when mixed up.

Thanks Sterling!

Timo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next