Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may be violating my NDA already,...

Hang on -Lemme check w/ Batman. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tspbrady wrote:
Quote:
It not only sails great but as you can see, it has picnic seating for 8.

Hmm... That's actually a pretty good idea. With a folding table on one side and a folding bench on the other, not only would it be easier to carry camping equipment and supplies, but would have a dual use later at the campsite!

Yes, you're getting it now. We're still working on a way to integrate a pop up table and gas grill. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
And here it is: (Drumroll ---)

The "Ultimate AI"!

OK, try to picture it in all red. :wink:

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
OK, try to picture it in all red

or all yellow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

OHHHHH now we are talking. How ya like them apples,, or should I say bananas. Now we have some speed, HAHAHA. All kidding aside, increase in drag and weight for performance calls for and increase in sail area. I see 2 options. Buy a TI sail and take it to a shop and shortened/tailored on the mast end or buy an AI sail and lengthened on the backend with an extra batten sewn in it. The length reguardless extending just past the back T&S hatch. Or just measure the 2 diff AMA's and get a percentile increase of the TI AMA's and adjust the sail size accordingly. At this point my question is what do the TI AMA's bring in performance??? Craft attitude only? Or ????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm interested in the increase in drag too. A longer kayak is a faster kayak, so will the longer aka's hurt the speed? Help the speed? or remain neutral?

They should help in higher winds because the extra volume will stay afloat, and you won't bury ama's.

We really need a report on how this thing works on the water!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it would be faster if it was red... :mrgreen:

Kidding aside, I'm considering getting an Adventure hull before this post. Liking the TI in single outrigger kayak mode. The extra length of the ama seems to be helping with supporting an extra 100+ lbs of gear/ice/fish I have loaded on the tramp.

I'm wondering if I can install TI crossbars onto an Adventure so that I can run it in single outrigger kayak mode utilizing one of my TI's amas. My local outfitter can give me an additional discount if I purchase an Adventure without a paddle and mirage drive. It would be perfect for those quick solo fishing runs or when I just want to paddle. Very tempting.

Hope to see the Bat-boat in the water soon. ;)

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

cliffs2yak wrote:
I'm wondering if I can install TI crossbars onto an Adventure so that I can run it in single outrigger kayak mode utilizing one of my TI's amas.
The TI is a wider boat, and the crossbar mounts are spaced accordingly. You'd have to get a set of Adventure crossbars or build an adapter. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 2011 AI crossbars have the same "new" connector as the TI. What would the TI bars offer?

If you don't want the AI sail then you will need (if possible) to fit an aft crossbar on the front so you don't have the big metal mast loop.

Sounds like an interesting conversion to make a true paddle adventure outrigger.

Was able to find the TI amas for $340 each but wonder if replacement amas include the handle, plugs, and bungees?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fly4v,

I was thinking of using two rear TI crossbars and cutting to fit. Also, I wasn't sure if the new AI's crossbars would be compatible with my TI's akas.

It'll strictly be for paddling and/or pedalling.

I wonder if Hobie can make it an option for new AI buyers to upgrade their amas to the TI amas.

For Nohuhu:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Matt has said that the TI and new AI share the same connections. I have not heard that the tubes are different sizes or lengths, but could have different end rake (or maybe just height).

If so, crossfitting the Amas should not be that big a deal.

There are 3 issues I know of:

1. IIRC, the AI Akas are spaced a little wider than the TI, so the TI Ama holes are spaced a little closer. (One reason the AI tramps are too long for the TI). This causes a little toe in for the AI Akas but the Amas still track straight. In the picture you can see that the Aka angles look pretty square. However, if the 2011 AI Akas rake back as badly as the TI's, the resulting geometry may actually toe the Amas together slightly (it would turn better, but sacrifice speed).

2. You could experience a problem trying to fully retract the TI Amas against the AI hull, but on the Bat Boat, the Akas are locked in place and braced by the bench seats. They do not retract on the water, so this was not tested.

3. The depth of the Amas is a little different and the receiving holes are different depths. I believe the TI hole is deeper and requires an adaptor to fit snugly with the AI Aka nipples. Maybe someone can post a pic of the 2 different Aka endcaps to clarify this.

Will try to get you a few more details and a sailing report this weekend.

Anyone with both an AI and TI can easily compare them and noodle with ideas to make them mate more securely. By now, a few of you are out in the garage looking at ways to graft these 2 boats together. Don't forget the double bungees!

A Hui Hou!

(Excellent signal, Cliff - we could see that all the way from Hilo!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jerry D (dosjers) has both. I know if I had them I would have done it already. That would have been my first operation as soon as I got the TI home. Hey Jerry, can you help us out?? :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Consumers are always able to purchase replacement parts from the TI... amas and akas. We are not likely to recommend or actually offer a kit for this option due to concerns about proper function (folding against the hull is one) and added stress to the hull and rig beyond the original design. The volume of the AI ama is a safety feature for the rig. You can only place so much pressure on it before it simply sinks. The larger amas will cause a significant increase in load on the rig and hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
The volume of the AI ama is a safety feature for the rig. You can only place so much pressure on it before it simply sinks. /quote]

Not sure I understand what you are refering to. What pressure. Lateral from a larger sail? Burying the AMA? The TI AMA has even more volume.

Quote:
The larger amas will cause a significant increase in load on the rig and hull.

that i can see, increased torsion/torque on the crossmember mounting that it is not designed for. I would need to see the design specs to figure the upper limit. I think the upper limits specs would handel that part. Just the standard AMA's put a huge amount of stress on that area and I never heard about cracking or pulling out of the crossmember mounts. so a factor was built in for sure. The TI AMA's arent really THAT much larger. Just thinking to myself guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When the wind is < 5 mph, Im not even thinking of my AI. =>5 but <=10, I might go if I have nothing else to do (rare on a Sat or Sun) ... =>10 but <=15 Im starting to think of excuses to give my wife ... =>15 and Im stuffing my Credit Cards in her hand whilst ushering her into her car wishing her a happy shopping trip

mmiller wrote:
The larger amas will cause a significant increase in load on the rig and hull.

I was thinking the opposite ...

... in 15mph or greater, the downwind AI Ama is pretty well submerged and thats got to be some good amount of load - was hoping that switching to TI Ama's with greater displacement might alieviate that some.

not that Im running out to buy a set but just thinking ...

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next