Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The AI Penthouse
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I received a Hennessy Hammock for Christmas and finally had some time to construct a support struture. The design was simple. I was so impressed by Chris's design and setup, I just copied his. I ordered the Explorer hammock with the larger hex fly and Hennessy have a holiday special where they are throwing in an extra hammock and snake skins. Brilliant deal.

The AI Penthouse.

I used 40PN12 for the main outer supports but glued a 32PN9 into the middle ( perfect sliding fit ) to give it some added strength. The top 32PN9 extension here acts as a attachment for the fly and also the guy ropes.

I probably need more photos to explain but I have slit the pipes so that the hammock rope goes through the centerline of the pipe and this locking ring locks the connection together.

Stainless snap clips are used to connect the guy ropes from the support pipes and fly.

One thing to note, if you are considering something similar, due to the AI's mast support being on center, the hammock pipe support has to be off center. Therefore to keep all support attachment points in line, I have attached the front hammock rope strap off center as shown. This seems to keep equal tension on all guy ropes meaning that the pipe supports are not leaning to the right or left.

If the sun comes out over the holiday period, I'll see if I can get a video of the setup but I reckon under 5 minute is easily achievable.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post subject: Re: The AI Penthouse
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool hammock.

Did you know your left rear cart tire is going flat?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter
That is awesome! We must catch up for a sail and a sleep over so I can check out the setup - I must have one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day mate!
Nice penthouse!
Did you get the underlay as well?
I'm guessing you bought it online?
Santa bought me a 2011 which has lots of improvements - if that could be possible on such a perfect lady :roll:
Hope to catch up soon. Got a whole bunch of newbies down here in the past couple of weeks - all keen to go on adventures :D
Hobie New Year :lol: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice one mate! We'll have to organize another overnighter sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mickey. Glad to see you back on deck. Where ya been, we all missed ya. 2011 AI, I'm jealous.

Gringo - I was going to mention the wheel but I thought I would see who the 1st eagle eye was. Well spotted. How's life in paradise going mate ?

Dave - Always keen. The beauty of the hammock married with the AI is that places like national parks are now potential camp sites. :wink: I havent used it for a full overnighter yet but it's gotta be more comfy than sleep'n on the ground.

Chris - I had to change your design a little so that I don't have your patent lawers knock'n on my door. :lol: When are we all off on another trip ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet. Needs decking on each side.... :D

Maybe in the new year I should look closer at this...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work Slaughter! 8) I like your further refining of Chris's original clever design. Perfect for legally exploring Cowan Creek and other places with camping restrictions. I can see I will have to go this way as well, though a double version on the TI might be pushing it a bit! :wink:
I showed your pics to Kathy and her reaction made it clear to me that a double version won't be necessary! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Stringy. Yea, I think a double may be pushing it. I must admit, that I still don't feel 100% confident that it will all take my huge body mass. It's not so much the support poles but the guy rope attachments take a lot more stress than I thought they would. Also the 'tee' connection has to be fixed so that it can't slide but still must be free to rotate.

May go down to Pulbah in the next few days and give it a try in a restricted area. I'm such the rebel. I want to be the first on a National Parks and Wildlife wanted list with my picture and a huge reward stapled to all the trees. :lol:

I'm also looking at attaching a couple of steel poles to my new trailer so that when I get to a spot early morning or late at night, while I'm waiting for you blokes, I can have a nap without raising too much attention.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, I've found this arrangement works well, with a 6mm eyebolt and eyenut. It holds the guyropes securely and also supports the ridgeline from the hammock.

I haven't needed to stop the Tee sliding - once it's loaded, it isn't going anywhere. One thing I do is: I orient the hammock with the opening facing backward (towards the stern). Then I sit in the hammock with my legs dangling out. If the rear pipe has any tendency to lean over to one side, I move the Tee sideways on the rear crossbar, to correct. This only needs to be done when you first set it up.
I don't think you'd weigh much more than I do. You're taller, but I exceed you in errrr other dimensions :roll:.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the hobie tramps or NOHUHU's wooden Hawaiian deck, can the penthouse be constructed on the water without inadvertently entering the water.
Yes, crazy idea try to stay dry on AI!

:twisted: Glad post 69 is in the penthouse forum! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've put mine up out on the water, with no tramps. It's a bit awkward, but do-able. I prefer to put it up in shallow water, so I can walk around the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It can be done Fly4v. Here is a clip http://www.youtube.com/user/summers65
I don't yet have the tramps so, like Chris, it looks like I'll be erecting it all on shore and then launching. How hard can it be. ( I must stop saying that ! )

Chris - What I have done as far as the guy connection goes, is tie a huge knot inside the pipe so that the guy line cannot move. Then when disassembling, the knot falls down inside the pipe to the tee so that the rope is inside the pipe for storeage. Seems to work OK in the garage so I've probably got a 50/50 chance of it working on the water. ( I'll certainly keep your design photo as a backup plan though ).
With the hammock, I procrastinated over the velcro or zip for ages and went with the zip. Dunno if it was the right move yet but the reason I went that way was not for the differenty entry methods but for the fact that for warmth, I can get a self inflating bed roll down under the sleeping bag and not have to juggle getting up through it from the bottom. My concern was the zipper material and size, but it finished up being a mother of a zip and in plastic so it should be OK.

Last edited by Slaughter on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v wrote:
With the hobie tramps or NOHUHU's wooden Hawaiian deck, can the penthouse be constructed on the water without inadvertently entering the water.
Yes, crazy idea try to stay dry on AI!
I was thinking the same thing. A very nice expedition mod. The benches can be removed for a number of camp uses or both put on one side, for a true sleeping platform. BTW, the new bench design for the TI Amas will have 4 slats.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like it NOHUHU. Do you use it as a camp table with the ama as a seat ? What is the main reason for use ?