Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The transducer mount worked well. With the new Mirage Drive locking system, it was easy to install the plug after getting underway. And easy to remove before beaching. The silicone and a set of stainless steel screws helped secure the mounting and withstood the pressures of going about 5-6mph avg on the TI.

The rod holders did get in the way of paddling. But realized upon landing on the beach that I could have rotated them forward to clear my paddling stroke. Note, the rod holder bases just barely clears my pedal range where the Mirage drive is set to 5. I'm 6' tall. If any taller, then the next setting (6) would cause the pedal to hit the rod holder bases.

Despite having the aka's "popping" out of the crossmember twice, it ended up being a nice sailing trip today. The setup seems to be working well for me so far.

c2y

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cliffs2yak

do your rod holders pivot at all around the crossbar? like if you were to catch an unexpected fish with the rod in the rod holder?

thanks
Sterling

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

S. Yoars,

No, the Scotty rod holders will not rotate when a fish strikes. The Scotty system incorporates some gear teeth to prevent rotation but can be lifted out of the gearing to allow for rotation adjustments. It's one of the reasons I went with Scotty holders since the ball type mounts may inadvertently rotate on a large fish strike.

c2y

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

S.Yoars,

Here's a pic of a Scotty base mount. It shows the gear teeth.

c2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pics c2y.... and a nice setup. Where do you put your transducer on your TI when not fishing solo?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ReefWraith,

I use a threaded plastic tubing through one of the foward scuppers. But it's a bit of a hassle to get into the water to install.

Works well despite. But looking at using a bracket mount on the rudder and have the tranducer live on it.

Aloha,

c2y

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is the rod solution I chose after researching this WAY to long. :roll:
It's the RAM lightspeed quickrelease holder and RAM-271U-12 rail clamp that just fits over the Akas (which are a little smaller than 1.75 inches BTW).

They are going halfway out on the rear Akas and get christened tomorrow morning,.. look out tuna!

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cliffs2yak wrote:
ReefWraith,

I use a threaded plastic tubing through one of the foward scuppers. But it's a bit of a hassle to get into the water to install.

Works well despite. But looking at using a bracket mount on the rudder and have the tranducer live on it.

c2y

Sounds interesting... will the rudder mount then be a more permanent option? I'm wondering why you seem to shy away from placing the transducer in the hull (foam/glued down or wet approach)? Have you seen a major difference in intensity/accuracy or is their some other reason? Again, great detailed pics!

RW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ReefWraith,

I went with an external mount since I follow sea surface temp reports and use temp readings on my FF to help find temp changes. Here in hawaii, we have shallow water abrubtly meeting deep. Mixed with currents and the occassional volcanic activity, you can get a nice warm water circle that likes to hold fish.

I didn't want the chance of the hull of my kayak to skew or delay temp readings. So, I'm going through the trouble of mounting my transducer externally. If you don't use the temp readings, mounting inside your kayak would be preferable.

c2y

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Makes perfect sense c2y.... thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
It's the RAM lightspeed quickrelease holder and RAM-271U-12 rail clamp that just fits over the Akas (which are a little smaller than 1.75 inches BTW).

They are going halfway out on the rear Akas and get christened tomorrow morning,.. look out tuna!

Image Image

This combination really does the trick. The rail mount gets installed a few inches past the Aka's crossbrace joint and fits nicely between the tramp webbing. You could put it out in the middle of the Aka if your reach is long.

The unit is very solid and it pivots and rotates quickly to any angle you want. The spread is nice and you could achieve close to 20' line spread with a couple 7' rods. The fishing rod clicks in place and releases with one hand. There is a lock you can engage with your thumb.

When the Lightspeed is removed, there is just a low profile ball there with no sharp edges, so I can still enjoy hiking on the tramps during pleasure trips.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LBNb0XqL6A&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Image Image

This combination really does the trick. The rail mount gets installed a few inches past the Aka's crossbrace joint and fits nicely between the tramp webbing. You could put it out in the middle of the Aka if your reach is long.

The unit is very solid and it pivots and rotates quickly to any angle you want. The spread is nice and you could achieve close to 20' line spread with a couple 7' rods. The fishing rod clicks in place and releases with one hand. There is a lock you can engage with your thumb.

When the Lightspeed is removed, there is just a low profile ball there with no sharp edges, so I can still enjoy hiking on the tramps during pleasure trips.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LBNb0XqL6A&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

I can not endorse this method. I have blown a LOT of cash on the RAM mounts and even taken them to a machine shop and had them index drilled and pinned on the ball and tube attachment. The first trips, the tube grip was not up to the duty even tightend with a wrench, the tube slipped/turned down and the rods went out of the tube on big fast runners, and the drag was fairly light set(Black Fins). Then I had them pinned and the post that the ball is moulded too snapped off. I will post pics. Be advised that the inside of that ball is a post and it has a hardened pin manufactured in it to secure the rubber ball. the metal does not appear to be a good grade aluminum but more like weak pot metal. Its sitting on the end table next to me. I'm going with the Yakass method but with a mod to it. This is an on going issue. This MUST be solved. The ONLY area on this craft that offers perfect positioning for trolling while under sail is the rear AKAs. This MUST be solved. For Offshore fishing the RAM is not the solution in my book. No way. And those big heavy duty rod holders that can be clamp mounted on to Large Craft T-Top Towers,,,,, well too heavy,,major. I have a plan. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

S.Yoars wrote:
cliffs2yak
do your rod holders pivot at all around the crossbar? like if you were to catch an unexpected fish with the rod in the rod holder?
thanks
Sterling

S.Yoars,

My apologies. I think I misread your question. My rod holder mounts does rotate a bit around the crossbar if you put pressure directly onto the mounts. It takes some doing since the silicone tape seem to add additional grip to prevent rotation. I still yet have to take a large pelagic strike on these. Will report back on how they hold after I get one though.

Nohuhu,

I was considering ram mounts since they have a more flexible mounting system. Good idea to mount them on your aka's. Let us know how it holds. We're still in ahi (tuna) season so good chance of putting it through it's paces. :wink:

c2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure will.

Did have a large pelagic strike that ripped my double-rigged 'Opelu in half but no big hookups yet. I ran large lures and skirted bait at speed through choppy swells all day and kept a close eye on things. (I had borrowed a friend's rod/reel). No issues that I can see.

Those tube holders are a whole different animal. I had one to test. They are long and pivoted at the bottom. All the weight and force is exerted at the top of the tube. It is much easier to torque these models, plastic especially.

The center pivoting joint on the Lightspeeds is ratcheted and balanced - it can not break or slip. The rail clamps are not going to rotate on my Akas, the way I have them secured. The lower ball joint feels good and tight.

Only thing I would worry about (as sammy suggests) is a 1.5" ball failure. (Anyone else wish to report on this problem? Or is not one?)

That and the rods releasing by themselves when struck, which could happen but did not. I intend to use the thumb lock from now on, though.

If you have super heavy rods and conventional reels you may need a big stainless 2" rail boat-style holder. A friend uses those, but they are permanent and you can't fold the Amas with them. My spinning gear is medium weight, like Yakass and I keep a light drag on my 15 and 30 lb lines. Leashes too, of course.

So NOHUHU - until that first sailfish strikes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU,
Here is my deal. The Ram mount probably would not have snapped off if I had not had it drilled and pinned. However If I had not had it drilled and pinned surley that fish would have pulled the tube down. I run 4 rods. 2 Penn 750s at 30lbs and 2 850s at 50lbs. The drags are set fair because I know I can not get to them all at once (TUNA, DORADO school) and once they are all banging the boat and rods will need to do it. If I set to loose I'll get spooled. Ok so run less rods you might say. Okay you first. :D
I'm still in progess. And the ball,??,,wait till it is fully wetted. I'm not trusting my 300 dollar rig to that. Also a work of caution rod leashes. The shock cord bungee type? NOGO on big rods/fish. The small plastic clamps on the ends only dig into the fabirc covering the rubberband strands inside. They pull out pretty easy. They are good for inshore guys, but not offshore. Go to your local thrift store and get old coiled phone cords (round, not flat) and use a vice and press the small end fittings on. Just try and break it. Just try. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next