Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aka Modifications
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have finished my bush modification on the Akas. I have made up 2 types of top hat bushes out of phosphor bronze. The crossbar bushes are longer and run the full height of the crossbar. The Aka bushes are shorter. When assembled there is zero play in the joint. The rim of the bushes provides a good size load bearing surface to help spread the load. The bush were assembled and then reamed to a snug fit on the pin. The joints pivot freely with no other movements. It is all a little stiff at the moment, but I expect things to ease a little with use. If not I will ream them out a little more. This has not been a cheap modification to do, but is very satisfying.

Post subject: Re: Aka Modifications
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Top modification mate. You could go into watchmaking after you finished that. Have you taken it out for a sail yet ? I bet the first thing you'll notice is how quiet the AI has become. It's the best mod I have done to date.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The weather has been crap here recently, so will wait until it improves. Starting on the tramps next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got to be happy with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So what's your thoughts with your tramp design ? I was thinking of just going the 1. My mate is an upholsterer which helps, although it may finish up look'n like a sofa.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think Pirate is on the right track with his setup. I was considering making some solid Carbon fibre platforms rather than using tramp material, but have decided to go the traditional route with 2/3rd width tramps. I want a big enough slot alongside the ama's to be able to use a paddle to mostly push myself off the mud when in the shallows. I have been considering the capsize issues, but have decided that the risk of it occurring is not great and if it does, it is not that bigger deal. I manage to capsize all my boats at some point, why should this be any different?

Whilst doing the tramps I will do a spray guard for the bow as well. I am considering running a tensioned hoop from the bow to the aka on the outer edge of the spray guards to give it a slight tensioned arch that will stiffen the material and help to catch some of the bigger splashes and shoot it under the guard. Also considering making the spray guards strong enough to stand on, which will make the AI a very useful size platform to operate from.

I am still thinking this stuff through and will let you know where my ramblings end up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I could be speaking out my arse here, but could you use something like an old tent pole ( i expect from a self assemble style tent ) as the outer rim of the spray shield?

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My original thoughts were along the lines of the whippy poles you get with the tents. They would be ideal to hold the shape, but I am working along the idea of them needing to be strong enough to stand on as well. It is probably an un-necessary complication, but it would make access to the bows and front stowage easier and as I have to make them anyway, it is not much of a stretch to make them stronger. I may make the the rear of the spray shield the full width of the aka, with the tramps a little over half width, so from overhead it would look like an arrow. The spray shield would then help to triangulate the akas whilst providing a good deflection for waves and a largish platform to work from at the bows. I am working along the lines of a pulley system that will allow me to tension the akas to the bows from the driving seat and designing the tramps so that they simply wrap around both akas and tension underneath in a similar fashion, that when the tension is released will allow me to simply push the tramps away from the hull towards the ama, sliding and crumpling up to provide a nice slot for easy access or poking a paddle through. Once ready to leave the shore, you would simply pull the tramp to the hull and tension in once in place, if that makes sense?

It is still just loose ideas at this stage and may change as I go along.

I am currently about to weld some eyes onto the akas to provide attachment points for the blocks that I use for the barber outhaul.
I think when I have finally finished modifying the akas and crossbars, I will get them hard anodised, as I can't see paint lasting long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep in mind, the front metal pad eye's connection to the bow may not be strong enough to take the stress from standing on a heavier duty sprayskirt. :o

I've tried many different size sprayskirts and at least here in Maui 1/2 to 2/3rd the width of the aka protects from all bow spray. Full width will catch a lot more air, like the full tramps can. I had high hopes for a design slightly wider at the bow, but it actually caused the bow to fail to "come about" at lower wind speeds than normal, because of the slightly larger surface area so far forward.

I look forward to see what you come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm. That is an interesting point, that I had not considered. I certainly do not want to make tacking tougher than it already is.
Some more thought required..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this thread is old but had the same idea as I just purchased a used AI and noticed that the akas have alot of play and thought bushings would be in order. does anybody know where I can purchase such an item or at least some bronze tubing to make my own. any help would be appreciated. with this much play in it it is going to get worse over time and oblong the holes.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I add a small piece of indoor/outdoor carpet glued to the flat area of the aka. It seems to tighten the connection, and after the initial wear that made them loose, I haven't seen any additional wear. If you search the forums, you should find posts on what others have done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

whow what a great idea, I found the thread that talked about this, went to the hardware store and even found self adhesive felt strips that fit perfect. the fit was tight and was hard to get pins in, but I trailer the boat and do keep the akas attached at all times not a bit of play.

Thanks for help

Marlen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Marlen. Is this the thread you're talking about ?

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13167&p=75628&hilit=rubber#p75628

I did this mod nearly a year ago with lasting effect. It has removed all the play, vibration and noise from connection and hasn't changed the hole shape in the process which was my main concern.

Hope this helps and that you have some luck with your mod.