Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Am contemplating mounting systems for a few electronics on my new 2015 TI.

Not really a fisherman (yet), so just after a good way to mount my handheld Garmin 78SC GPS, marine radio and other doodads within arms reach with the potential of expanding later.
Was looking at the YakAttack GT175 tracks and like idea of sliding stuff on and off as I need it, but noticed they have a new GTTL175 product that allows top loading as well.

What I want to know is where do others put these on the newer TIs? With a 1 3/4" width for the GT175 track, I don't see a wide enough place on the gunwales to mount these. Did the older TIs have wider flat spots for mounting than the v2s?

Are the narrower YakAttack GT90s a better choice given that they are only 3/4" wide? Are these solid enough if I use the FullBack plates under them?

Any and all advice welcomed and thanks.

~BoP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2015 TI and have mounted a 12" GTTL175 with backing plate on the starboard side at the rear seat position. I have a Lowrance Elite 5 mounted in a Ram mount and a Scotty rod holder mounted on the track. The only alteration I had to make was to cut a 1/2" section from the backing plate to allow for an internal molded obstruction. So far installation is very solid. Plan is to mount the second track on the port side at the front seat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have a 2015 TI and used the YakAttack GearTrac 8 inch 72020057, 2 pack with mounting hardware. It doesn't have a backing plate, just 8 screws. It is shown in the Hobie Parts and Accessories Catalog on page 30. I mounted mine on the port and starboard sides starting about a 1/2" behind where the rear aka attaches to the kayak. I attached a Lowrance elite 4 to it with a ram mount on the starboard side. I have scotty rod holders attached to each track. The front seat can turn and reach the fishing rod behind them easily. At first I was going to mount the port side GearTrac beside the front seat, but decided against it because the rod would get in the way of the front seat when facing outward. I also have the Tramps, this way the rods are behind the Tramps. I'm considering getting a Scotty Anchor Lock to attach to the GearTrac.