Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New jib furler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,
Just saw this on youtube looked fantastic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtH-We0 ... detailpage
I have a old jib I'm going to give it a try.
Hope there is no copy-right problems.
Cheers Mike 8)

Post subject: Re: New jib furler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What a great idea !
FYI, the following Ninja Spider video has some great scenery in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice job, Mike.

Have you had a chance to try the jib yet? Please keep us posted with your progress.

Can you take the jib down if you need to reef the mainsail and continue sailing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes Salty the spider is an interesting boat :shock:
Marc, I'm not the designer, but I hope he is watching this forum and can give details. It does look like it has a halyard and tack outhaul. :?:
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mike for bringing this to our attention.
Roger Mann is the inventor and he has now registered on the forum. This looks to be a very clever design and deserves its own topic so I'll reply to Roger here.

Roger,
Brilliant looking design and innovation! I love the simplicity and will be following your progress with great interest. 8)
Please keep us informed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello guys, new to the group. I am having great sucess with the jib so far. A short history on how I started the jib attempt. I was in the EC2011 and saw the normal jib so first I attached to the strap that is on the sail. I had problems with overpowering the mast so I put stays on and that prevented furling the main without first dropping the jib. That was not going to work so I decided to go with a smaller sail and unstayed because one of the reasons I bought the TI is the quick furling main. So I attached the jib lower and now I am unstayed and self tacking and it does not overpower the mast but sure improves the tacking and work into the wind. It also works well furled or partly furled. I need to get into some higher winds and watch the bow carefully for any problems like Jim was having in the EC. So far so good but only time will tell.
I see no reason why this could not be used on the AI as well. My jib is cut down from a hobie 14 which started at aprox. 29 sq I believe so mine is around 20-22 I believe, I will have to get out and measure it to get the correct number.
I would really like to be able to purchase a jib like this from hobie and put away my cut down one. I do think that this might be the answer for folks wanting a jib on a AI or TI. It really seems to improve most in light winds which makes since because of adding sail area and not getting caught "In Irons" tacking. Plus no worries about over powering the mast. Most winds that I have been in with it so far is 10-12 so no real challenges yet and since the answer to submarining is reducing sail it should be no issue. I put it on youtube hoping for folks to pick it apart and tell me what was wrong with it and what I am overlooking but nothing has come up yet.
I'll try and get some video sailing and posted. That may not be for a day or two, no wind in the forcast for the next few days.
Enjoying the forum so far, lots of info. I can't wait to get a new rudder and try it out as I don't care much for the one I have altho it has been plenty of control so far. That is another thing that I will be watching for in higher winds.
Roger

The jib can be taken down quickly if needed but I just roll it up with the main and stuff in the bag. Its not much different, just one added line which I cleated right beside the main sheet so I can release them at the same time. I will keep updates going on my blogger page. link at www.rogermann.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

look forward to it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOTbQdqpuQ

Here is a video with the final version and the details that folks have been asking for.

Thanks,

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roger
Thanks for that clip and the details. Very clever! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a really elegant idea. However, looking at your second video, it appears that there is no way to trim this jib in or out depending on the point of sail. That is, the jib always seems to be trimmed for sailing as close to the wind as possible. Is this the case, or have i missed something here?

Also, I was not able to understand how you have attached the head of the jib to the main mast.

Again, really cool idea.

MR