Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

in thinking about numerous ways - shown in others' posts - to modify the ai to allow for better sailing downwind, i had a brainwave regards attaching any sort of boom to the mast. a surfboard leash. basically, if you cut the stretchy cord part of the leash off at the ankle end, you'd be left with the padded ankle strap and attachment lug. this fits around the mast below the sail and above the furling ring, and as it overlaps it provides cushioning whilst being easily attached/detached. it cant swivel right around (360') the mast, because of the lug protruding and the sail tensioning line.
where the leash cord attaches to the ankle strap, the hard rubber lug*, often with a built in swivel (not that we would need twist) is how the cord is plugged and set to the ankle strap during manufacture. this lug, due to its proximity to ones ankles when surfing, is tapered outwards and contains the end of the leash cord as an insert. any rod or hollow ended boom could be sized to neatly fit onto/over the lug, and all pressure from the sail would push it directly onto the protected mast. any sideways movement would see the velcro strap slide and the lug is designed to flex in all directions without failure.

although i am probably going to use the two 2' bungee idea for downwind sailing, anyone who wanted to attach a boom should visit a surf shop and look at the leashes (ankle strap specific). i will post a picture of the above, soonish.

till then

trippingwet