Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Bottom line I doubt I will be taking my boat out anymore is anything over 10-12 mph winds, it's just not as fun for me.
Bob

Bob,
Haka make it fun to sail in those conditions and more! We were over the bucketfulls of water, sitting in a bath etc. that come with 20+ knots sitting in the Hobie seat but now we really enjoy sailing in those conditions sitting out on the haka. I was hoping you'd develop those polycarbonate sheets that proyak is giving you for Christmas into some lightweight haka.

I keep going on about it but haka are the single best mod I've made to Island sailing.

John_h,
I'm enjoying following you're jib experiment and I'm looking forward to the results from your testing. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Which reminds me, I need to make up some hakas too.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must be a masochist then, because I LOVE getting smashed in the face with firehose strength spray going over my head even though I am sitting up high in my skipper seat! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John_h wrote:
Which reminds me, I need to make up some hakas too.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

John, you can also drop by for your 2 free Lexan hakas!
(sorry but they won't fit down your chimney son)...HO... :lol: HO... :lol: .HO.... :lol:

Wise men still seek Jesus!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

John

My jib is off having a furling spar added by these chaps http://www.aeroluffspars.co.uk/ and I when i get the boat back at Christmas i will start on the fitting tasks.

Can you post a picture of your fixing for you ali tubes onto the AKA's. At the moment I have an idea but need to get the boat home to give it a try

CC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
I don't mind getting a little wet, that kind of goes with the territory, Stringy , Haka's are probably in my near future.
For some reason the waves were more extreme than usual, I don't mind 3-4ft rollers as long as there is some interval between them. But man alive this time it was like being in a blender (actually unusual for open water), and I would crest one then go under the next, and many of the waves were breaking even though I was in the 100 ft plus deep cruise ship channel. I swear I was completely underwater a couple times and started to get cold, like a dummy I didn't have my wet suit on (I'm sure the inside of the hull stayed warm (that's where the wetsuit was stowed LOL).
Everybody keeps telling us it's a little dangerous at the big opening to Tampa Bay, now I believe them.

My Honda motor went completely under a couple times and sputtered some but it kept going (the air intake must be designed to not fill with water somehow, I'm very impressed with that Honda 2.3). If that had been my old Island Hopper motor it would have quit and filled with water.
Maybe I'm getting softer in my old age, but being very cold and wet, and to add to that I had tore a couple muscles in my back a couple weeks before and had a back brace on, the brace didn't help at all, if you've ever had torn back muscles and start getting spasms, you know what I'm talking about.
Once my back heals, I'm sure I'll feel batter about going out in rough seas and be back out pushing the boat again.
In the mean time I will probably just grumble about it. Actually I'm probably being just a wimp about the whole day, since my back was hurting the rough seas magnified every movement making me very uncomfortable, probably just seemed much worse than it really was.
Even with all that I had a really fun time.
Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

proyak wrote:
John, you can also drop by for your 2 free Lexan hakas!
(sorry but they won't fit down your chimney son)...HO... :lol: HO... :lol: .HO.... :lol:

Wise men still seek Jesus!

A bit too far for me to travel, but thanks anyway proyak.

Chopcat wrote:
John

My jib is off having a furling spar added by these chaps http://www.aeroluffspars.co.uk/ and I when i get the boat back at Christmas i will start on the fitting tasks.

Can you post a picture of your fixing for you ali tubes onto the AKA's. At the moment I have an idea but need to get the boat home to give it a try

CC

I just used a stainless steel u-bolt like CaptnChaos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Tony:
I don't mind getting a little wet, that kind of goes with the territory, Haka's are probably in my near future.
For some reason the waves were more extreme than usual, I don't mind 3-4ft rollers as long as there is some interval between them. But man alive this time it was like being in a blender (actually unusual for open water), and I would crest one then go under the next, and many of the waves were breaking even though I was in the 100 ft plus deep cruise ship channel. I swear I was completely underwater a couple times and started to get cold, like a dummy I didn't have my wet suit on (I'm sure the inside of the hull stayed warm (that's where the wetsuit was stowed LOL).
Everybody keeps telling us it's a little dangerous at the big opening to Tampa Bay, now I believe them.

My Honda motor went completely under a couple times and sputtered some but it kept going (the air intake must be designed to not fill with water somehow, I'm very impressed,...

Once my back heals, I'm sure I'll feel better about going out in rough seas and be back out pushing the boat again.

Even with all that I had a really fun time.
Bob
Great post Bob. I sure hope you get a gopro for Christmas, because we've been missing out on seeing some really good action.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John_h wrote:
proyak wrote:
I just used a stainless steel u-bolt like CaptnChaos

John, I recommend you move the aluminum square tube to fit under the aka cross bar and turn those u-bolts around so the excess bolt is sticking down. Besides looking better, there's less sharp protrusions sticking up that potentially could be harmful. I've done it both ways.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John:
There seem to be quite a few answers as to how big the H16 jib really is.
Someone posted on ask that it measures]
luff 16'
foot 5.75'
leach 15.75

If these dimension are correct, my Solidworks computes the sq ft to be 44 sq ft. (assuming the edges to be straight)

So you now have a Genoa sail ( LOL)

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Genoa for sure. John will want to watch that the big clew plate stays away from the AI mast/mainsail.

By caparison, the Windrider 17 has a fully battened, Hobiecat-style mainsail with boom, about the size of the the TI. But the boats are 3 times the weight of the AI and have a long, deep and strong bow areas. The 22' mast is stiff and rigged for those loads.

Windrider offers a 43 sq ft furling jib and a reacher kit. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's what it should look and feel like, when it all comes together,.. Check out the tacks at the 1:20 mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYSleXDAgI#t=90[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It is looking like this jib I have is too big. That clew was worrying me and is another good reason to have a furling set up so I can get it slightly forward of the main.

On water testing will reveal all I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CaptnChaos wrote:
John, I recommend you move the aluminum square tube to fit under the aka cross bar and turn those u-bolts around so the excess bolt is sticking down. Besides looking better, there's less sharp protrusions sticking up that potentially could be harmful. I've done it both ways.

Thanks Jim, I was thinking that, but just put it on top as it was easier and doesn't interfere with my bow spray skirts. If I end up keeping the jib I will certainly heed your advice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you lower your aluminum square tube to fit under the aka cross bar you could use a few wire-ties to attach the inside line of your Sprayskirt to the aluminum square tube. As long as the transition from leaving the rear of the aluminum tube is handled well it (not sharp or rubbing/wear problem) should be great. Interesting...

Your project is looking great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 35  Next