Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Bob,
I thought it would be difficult to out-do your TI mods but those mods to your Oasis are incredible! 8)
Thanks for posting them, though I wish you'd done it back in 08. :?
I might still be sailing my Oasis and and saved on purchasing 2 AI's and a TI! :wink:
Seriously though, did you use some sort of mast height or sail area formula to calculate how much weight was needed in the keel? Or was it just experimentation? I have been toying with the idea of a weighted daggerboard that would allow me to sail the AI in Adventure mode (without aka/ama) but still using the AI sail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy:
nothing scientific, my pool is heated, and I experimented in the pool trying to tip the boat over (many hours, I'm sure my neighbors loved the entertainment). One of the reasons for the keel weight was I got tipped over by a big boat wake while sailing and was too exhausted and unable to get back into the boat (the Oasis is kind of tipsy), and had to be rescued. I was being swept out to sea by the strong tide current in big pass (a really bad place to Kayak). If I had to do it again I wouldn't use the 1 inch diameter rubber tube, it made too much drag, I would likely dangle the weight from 4 spectra 1/16 (500 lb test) lines under the boat. One thing I discovered about the keel weight was it had magnetic properties, if there were any weeds within 10 feet of the keel, they would clump up on it (just like a magnet to iron filings LOL). There seems to be a correlation between the amount of weight, and how far it is below the boat. I also had to endure alot of ridicule from my wife that it looked very much like a dolphins dork. Imitating nature, my boat had two sets of penguin fins (mirage drives), and some dolphin parts. The sails on AI's and Tandems are pretty big. If I were to design a keel weight for my tandem I would start with weight about 3 feet long, and about 40 lbs shaped like a torpedo. I'm not going to do it but I would make a pattern from plastic tubing and foam of the torpedo, then sand cast the lead in two halves (split down the middle) then bolted together, each half would have carry handles built in, so you can carry two 20 lb pieces to shore then quickly bolt them together with wing nuts or something and attach them to the spectra line with clips. This has been fun to think through just for fun. The finished product would look something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,

Do you sail your TI by yourself or wwith a passenger? I primarily sail alone but have been out with passengers and have never had a problem with my bow nose diving like my AI does.

When sailing alone I always sail from the rear seat so I can see what the sail is doing and the bow tends to lift out of the water when the wind picks up. It feels like the boat is trying to take off. I have a set of trampolines that I made for my boat but have not used them yet. I made them so I could carry an extra person but haven't been in that situation yet. I can't see putting them on the boat unless someone wants to ride on them.

Here is a picture of my boat under sail. Like I said it seems to be trying to take off.

Hopefully we can get together and do some sailing. I live just south of the Jacksonville city limits.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry:
Most of the time I am out myself, I'm Canadian so going in 60 degree water is like summertime for me (they have very hard water up in Canada this time of year), but my wife is native Floridian, and won't go out unless the water is 85 or higher. I have always sailed from the front seat. I will try moving to the back seat and see if it helps. Thats one nice thing about the TI, it doesn't really care where you sit to drive it. I always put my tramps on, which is the most time consuming parts of setting up, I will need to re-think that also. But alot of the time when I'm sailing I hike out on the tramps to keep the boat level, and just lay out there (pretty comfortable). You have to be careful in high winds though with the tramps, if the wind gets under them, you can turtle (though I haven't yet). Hey if you ever down by Sarasota bring your boat, I'm out there every weekend, and I will do the same, if I come up that way.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,

Do you know any decent hotels or motels that don't charge an arm and a leg for a room? I haven't been to Sarasota in years but it sounds like fun.

Jerry

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry:
I think the trick is to not get a hotel near the water (the price goes up 3x). I did a quick search on Travelocity and the Hampton Inn at 5995 Cattleridge rd has rooms for about $92/night. It is about 5 miles from the water but is a nice place, it is right off of the main road (Bee ridge rd and I75). I live near there and it takes me around 20 minutes to get to the city park next to Sarasota Sailing Squadron out on City Island (thats where I usually launch). There is another Hampton Inn Suites right next to the airport for $127/night ( closer to the launch site). There is also a Sleep Inn by the Airport for $89/night that looks nice (brand new, across the street from the Hampton suites). There are many launch sites in the area and lots to do. From Siesta key you can launch from Turtle beach, and from Lido key they have a nice kayak park which is just south St Armands Circle (city Island is just off St Armands Circle north on the way to Long boat key). My wife works out on St Armands Circle, it's a pretty neat place to shop and spend the day (when not sailing of course). There are quite a few AI's and TI's up here, most of us sail around in Sarasota bay, on a nice weekend you will typically see 3 or 4 Ti's out there and everyone is always very friendly, plus many dozen sailboats of all types. The Watertribe EC challenge ( http://www.watertribe.com/) is on March 5, they all launch from Ft Desoto park at the mouth of Tampa bay about 20 miles north of here ( I sail up there and back all the time from City Island), I will definately be up there for that event to root on my favorites ( I'm not entered this year though). The EC challenge is a 300 mile race down to the keys, I am hoping to enter maybe next year. Even if the wind dies, there are plenty of mangrove tunnels and stuff to explore. I'm usually out there every weekend as weather permits. Once the weather (and gulf) warms up my wife may even go out, (likely April). This time of year the gulf is in the mid 60's and I always wear a wet suit.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,

I don't own a wet suit anymore so I normally don't sail this time of year.

When I mentioned to my wife about getting together to go sailing with you she suggested that when the weather warms up we all meet in Cedar Key for a weekend of sailing. I don't know if you have been there but it's like going back in time before Florida was commercialized. We stayed a block away from the boat launch and the prices were very reasonable.

If you're interested we might be able to get a bunch more TI and AI owners to join us.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob, I am just north of Sara Bay Marina and have an AI that I sail often. I will run from here to Longboat Key Pass. when can we get together. [email protected]

Post subject: boat registration
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the following is on the Sarasota tax site.

The following vessels are exempt from registration:
bullet Non-motor powered vessels less than 16 feet in length.
bullet Non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell or rowing scull, regardless of length.
bullet Vessels used exclusively on private lakes and ponds.
bullet Vessels owned by the United States Government.
bullet Vessels used exclusively as a ship's lifeboat.

I hope this helps

If you put just an electric motor on the kayak it must be registered. but even a 25 foot non powered kayak does not have to be registered unless you run into Karl, the heavy bald county cop, who will make your life miserable even when you are in the right. To put him in a good mood just ask him when he is going to grow some hair. Be sure to have a compass and whistle and life jacket on your kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
OK this is by popular demand, from forum users to show my Tandem Island mods.
I have around 500 miles on the boat to date with the mods and everything seems to work well in pretty much all conditions when used wisely (you don't raise the spinnaker in 4 ft waves and 25 knot winds (Duh). The Hydrofoils are not to raise the entire boat out of the water like those crazy Moth boats, but do serve the purpose of raising the boat just enough to keep my bottom dry, and keep the bow from nose diving (not fun in 60 deg water). The outboard motor is only for emergency use, for when I am 30 miles from my car and the wind dies, or the rudder breaks, and I am exhausted. I keep the boat on top of my car, and it takes around 35 minutes to unload off the car and setup by myself. I sail mostly around Sarasota, Florida and Key West, and am out pretty much every weekend on an adventure somewhere year round. I'm also an avid Scuba diver and love to combine my two hobbies. Here is a link to hi def pictures of the boat on photobucket http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... /?start=20. My only word of warning to anyone is don't do these mods unless you have a pretty good understanding of sailing, and engineering, because if done incorrectly you will exceed the design intent of the boat and it will break, and you could die (don't blame me). There is alot of rigging, that has never gotten tangled yet, but I keep a knife handy just in case. I'm happy to answer any questions, and will post some video one of these days (hard to video yourself).
Bob
2010 Tandem Island
2007 Revo
my rig

Hi Bob, just wondering is your motor one of these and if so how are you liking it?

http://www.smalloutboardengines.com/20hpoutboard4strokecamouflage.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave:
Yes that is the motor I have, when I bought it a year ago it was only $525 (inflation I guess), I am very happy with the motor, the three times I have used it, it helped me out of some pretty bad situations, otherwise it just sits mounted and tilted up on the back of the boat (in a bag to keep it dry). The motor weighs 20 lbs so I always take it out with me every weekend. I always carry a full tank and 1 extra gallon of gas (~6 lbs), this gives me enough fuel to go at least 40 miles (max distance I typically go from launch). The salt water is pretty tough on everything (screw heads, exposed aluminum, etc) so you have to keep the motor clean, and always rince it off when done. I'm a motor head so I tuned the motor up a little (mostly carb adjustments), and it runs very well now. My motor mount is two pieces of 3/8 dia steel rod ran through PVC 1 1/2 tubing, and filled with automotive body putty, the PVC fits into the rod holders on the TI. The 2 x4 pressure treated wood motor mount, I drilled two holes in the end, and glued the steel rods into the wood with marine epoxy. I should have used stainless steel rod, I painted the steel rods and covered with PVC tubing to prevent rust. I filed notches into the steel rods so the epoxy grips better. The throttle and tiller can be locked so I can climb back to the front and steer with the main rudder. It's not fast by any means (3-5 mph), (can't pull skiers) but it gets me home if I'm broken down (mostly rudder breakage, blown out sails, or loss of wind) and exhausted.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave:
I was out today and Dudley from this forum and several others were on shore and we had fun chatting, there was also a guy there with a WETA and we talked quite a bit, he likes his WETA, and it seems to do a good job for him. The WETA seems a little more technical than the TI and AI with alot more sail area(265 sq ft I think), probably requires more sailing knowledge than we need to make it perform well, we just use our pedals to get us out of trouble. I used my motor on purpose when I left the harbor today with my GPS on for the first time just to see how fast the motor really is. The winds were from the northwest at 6mph, and I left the harbor due north at 4 mph with the motor wide open. With no wind and calm it probably would have been a liitle over 5 mph. If your looking to pull skiers with this little motor, I don't think it will do the job, but for my purposes as a backup safety it seems to do the job. If I pedal at the same time at a moderate pace (with motor on full) I can go around 7 or 8 mph for long distance (6 or 8 hrs if needed), If I pedal like mad I can get to 10-12 mph (with the motor full and pedaling) for a few hundred yards, so if you need to avoid a cruise ship or something to get out of trouble you can do it, probably still can't get that skier up though.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

had a good read on there website and they don't recommend it for choppy ocean conditions, which is hilarious considering its apparently an island hoping motor. Trying to get a second hand 2.5HP mariner or yamaha, don't think they are available outside the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is it April 1st already :?:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

In your image you mention "Re-enforced bow (1600 lbs lift), epoxy filled inside".

Is this to handle the extra forces caused by using the mast topper for the forestay and aftstay? Or is it required for the additional sail area? Both?

Basically, I just want to use the forestay, aftstay, and mast topper so I can mount a small vhf antenna, do you think I would require the re-enforced bow?

Also, can you explain your how you re-enforced the bow in a little more detail?

Great work! You are taking the AI/TI to the next level :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next