All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome kart!

Reminds me of this...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi;
I'm new to the TI world and will be ordering one for sailing on Lake Huron (Michigan - USA) within the next month, or so. This cart is first on my list of gadgets to build through shameless immitation. I've been thinking about alternatives, but haven't found many ways to improve your idea.

I have been worried about how to safely move this 175-lb monster around. I've read about the dangers of gouging the scupper holes and bending the hull. This solves both problems (and gives me a fun project as well!)

Thanks for sharing your great idea and the photos. This is exactly what these types of forums do best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks so much JS, This Hobie forum is a great place to learn and share and that's why I throw my friends designs out as food for thought.

The cart is still a work in progress. A winch was added recently, presenting some challenges, but the basic idea is sound, (join together 2 wheeleez beach carts anyway you can and add some padded rails).

I'm a fan of simplicity myself, and modular flexibility (as in 2 traxx carts). Batman's goal though, is to be able to safely transport, beach launch and recovery a TI sized boat solo.

If he adds those solar panels, motors and too much more, we may have to design a trailer for the cart though! :lol:

Please share what you come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Flat tires, broken frames, punctured hulls and torn rotator cuffs,.. why can't transporting our big Hobie sailing kayaks be easier and safer? These questions have been plaguing us for some time.

After all, what good is the "ultimate AI/TI" if you can't shlep it to and from the water? Or you go around ripping scupper holes during launches? In a hopeful sign, this test vehicle was recently spotted rolling out of the batcave,..

It's built on 30cm beach wheels and designed to effortlessly pull the weight of a fully loaded TI.
As usual, further enhancements are planned.
And yes, it is not cheap!

ImageImageImage

For closeups and details you can check out the Hawaii Kayak Sailing Club forum http://hawaiikayaksailingclub.com/hkscf ... opic=196.0

There are more picts of this 4WD "Bruddah Built" design and a few other concepts that are floating around the twisted minds of our members. :evil:

Any updates on these carts, w pictures.
I have 0.75 mile, of flat flat road to a launch ramp
Found the _very_ short videos of the ?2? Wheeleezz somehow hooked 2 gether
I have discovered my 2027 AI is too heavy for me to cartop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I followed the instructions for this DYI cart - except I put on bigger, wider wheels. It works just fine - even with the weight of all the AI mast, amas, drive, paddle, etc etc etc on board. I thought it would break but its been a pretty reliable and relatively cheap assembly. I think if I did it again, I would make it with up pipes that go into the AIs hull through the available holes, just to keep the cart in place under the kayak when the wheels hit something. I made two of them for all my kayaks though so went with the generic plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtTLspkNuME