Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi! I am thinking about putting in an extra seat for my 5 year old son in the luggage area just behind the original seat on my AI. An old car seat for children, or perhaps something I make myself somehow. At least something more stable and less prone to get wet than a pillow... Has anyone done this or got any ideas? Suggestions or ideas are most welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't done it myself but apparently it is not too uncomfortable without anything at all but how about the one-piece plastic moulded seat and back from a cheap outdoor chair possibly built up on a block of foam or similar?...Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea! If your child is a strong swimmer I like it! I would like to see how you do this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Ocean Kayak brand kayak seat is very versatile and adapts easily for use in the rear of the AI (facing backward). I don't have a photo of it in that situation, but here it is set up on a trampoline.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding an extra seat has been done by a few forum members:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=13424
For a solution for keeping drier check out Chrisj's innovative idea
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23746

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went for a kayak on my local river this afternoon and thought i would try sitting on my 22l icebox which fits beautifully in the back. Sitting up higher and paddling is a wonderfully adventurous technique we all should try. It is not easy to keep from swimming which I did manage to avoid as I was wearing shorts and shirt which are not for swimming in. It wass fun though and i will keep practicing the balancing skill. It would be a perfect seat for when using the amas....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for great advice! I think the seat from Ocean Kayaks looks perfect. The setup on the tramp was very nice, thanks for the photos! I have now placed an order at https://www.austinkayak.com/ where they are on a discount right now ($25).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Joakim, I had the same question when I bought my 2010 AI. I was dead set on a rear seat for my then six yr old. My local dealer advised me that a rear seat for a small child is a bad idea. Are you really confident that you would hear your child falling off the stern and notice them disappearing at a reasonable rate of knotts, if you have any doubts then dont do it. That was enough for me, I bought the tramps and never looked back. The AI is about enjoying being on the water, if you are always checking behind then you will not be having fun.
Well thts my opinon anyhow.
JJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've taken a 6 year old out in the back of my AI and rigged a safety belt up for her with a side snap buckle (as well as a PFD, of course). I wouldn't have done it in conditions in which a capsize seemed even remotely possible.
That's not to deny the tramps are a good option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JetJester wrote:
Joakim, I had the same question when I bought my 2010 AI. I was dead set on a rear seat for my then six yr old. My local dealer advised me that a rear seat for a small child is a bad idea. Are you really confident that you would hear your child falling off the stern and notice them disappearing at a reasonable rate of knotts, if you have any doubts then dont do it. That was enough for me, I bought the tramps and never looked back. The AI is about enjoying being on the water, if you are always checking behind then you will not be having fun.
Well thts my opinon anyhow.
JJ

Good thinking. I'll have that in mind. I have the tramps, so I'll probably go for that tramp-seat-combo seen above - we'll see. Makes the communication more fun as well. There is no way I'll take out any of my kids in rough weather - they are the most precious that I have. (I might be an AI noob, but I have been sailing a lot.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey you know what, you've vot me thinking now. Putting a seat on the tramps maybe exactly what I need for my timid seven yr old. Is the seat you have phrchased the same as in the earlier post picture?
JJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may find it a little more complicated to set the seat up with the standard Hobie tramps, because they wrap around the front aka, but I'm sure it's doable, with a bit of ingenuity and some long tie down straps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@JetJester: Yes, they were the cheapest. :) If you have a large wallet and/or are in the need of something more comfy there are other options from Ocean Kayaks that look really good.

@chrisj: Padded fairly wide hooks?

/ Joakim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joakim wrote:
@chrisj: Padded fairly wide hooks?
/ Joakim

I've only done it with tie down straps Joakim, because that's what I had to hand. I would just try running the straps out diagonally, to either side of the tramp.
You need straps at the rear of the seat as well, so, alternatively, it may be possible to run the front straps over the front of the tramp, then all the way back under to loop over the rear aka and connect to the seat.

One hint, although it's more applicable to an adult passenger - it's better to install the seat on the starboard tramp. Then, if you're on a port reach, you can sit out on the port tramp to counterbalance the weight of the passenger and still reach the rudder control without needing a tiller extension.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Would still have the issue of how to secure this to your tramps but here is a paddle float that can be used as a seat.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/256 ... Float.html