Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks.

Both the AI and TI have eyes at either end of the AMAs. Do they serve any purpose?

Cheers!
Oatesy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oatesy:
Too sea better ( humor)

I think someone asked not too long ago and the answer was no particular purpose use them for anything you like. On the TI the metal eyelets in the middle were for a jib option that never got released.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You mentioned a jib option that never got released. Was that something that was announced by Hobie and then cancelled? I guess what I mean is did Hobie have official plans for something like this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leelanauX:
When first released there was the promise of a future Jib option that was still in design. If you look at any TI you will see the two metal padeyes on the AMA, about 3/4 up the mast you will find a black mesh fabric strap, for mounting the future jib option (we were told).
Jim (chief engineer at Hobie) sailed the Florida EC challenge with prototype jibs from the factory a couple years in a row. Each time I'm thinking the hull was over stressed and the jib option went back to the drawing board for further refinement. It never did get released, I am just guessing here but I think they felt that the basic hull and boat design would require too many changes to be able to safely warrant a factory jib design (warranty liability, and risk of hull/mast failure).
A few of us have designed our own stuff and use at our own risk with the full understanding that Hobie is not under obligation to honor warranty claims from modified boats (things like snapped off masts, torn out hulls around the v brace area, etc.

In my case in south west florida the wind is typically very light ( <5mph wind), so I added the extra sails to suit the local conditions. It's rather boring sailing a basic TI in <5mph winds (your lucky to go 1-2 mph under sail).

I'm only guessing here but I would guess the current TI rig is tuned for best performance between 8 and 14 mph which covers 95% of the users out there. If you get over 15 mph winds, the stock 90 sq ft sail is too much for the hull and must be furled back anyway (you would not be putting out a jib in higher winds anyway).

Chances are Hobie is working a super TI design with jib and spinnaker options, however it would need to be a new hull and AMA design. (all speculation on my part, I have no affiliation with Hobicat company)

1: hull would need to be much stronger, with the mast mounted further aft, and a bow sprit added to get some distance between the sails.
2: The AMA's would need more flotation than the current design (currently around 250 lbs), we would need at least 350 lbs flotation.
3: The AMA's are too close together for more than the current sail area. With more sail area the boat would need to be at least 12 ft wide (currently 10 ft wide).
4: The entire boat would need to be longer to allow the mast to be moved further back (around 21 ft length)
5: I would like to see 1000 lb max capacity so we could take 4 adults out (on the tramps) ( though some do this now anyway)

Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Oatesy:
Too sea better ( humor)

I think someone asked not too long ago and the answer was no particular purpose use them for anything you like. On the TI the metal eyelets in the middle were for a jib option that never got released.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm thinking I might make up a line of small fenders with a carabiner at each end for parking at the jetty of the local cafe. I know. Pretty hard-core, right? :lol:

Oatesy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually made a fender for the Ama by taking a swimming pool noodle and cutting it into 5 one-foot long lengths and stringing a line through it with carbiners at each end of the line. Slip the carbiners around the Aka's where they go into the Amas [say that three times real fast] and you have a fender to protect the Ama from a wood or concrete jetty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pool noodle would be ideal.

Cheers. :wink: