Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know that this topic has been covered extensively, but I would appreciated some recent insights.

My wife and I purchased a tandem TI and love sailing it near the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. As we are somewhat aging and lacking in upper body strength our biggest problem is getting the TI from our garage to the water--around 50 yards over a small boardwalk and onto a sandy launching area. We tried various mid-hull carts but the TI kept falling off. Rear wheels worked better but I am concerned about dragging the hull when the wheels don't lift up high enough.

We purchased a heavy duty plug in cart to try to solve this problem. It worked great when we had some friends to help us lift the TI but we found that the 2 of us could not lift it high enough by ourselves to get the posts in properly. Due to warnings about improper post positions and damage to scuppers, we decided not to use it and expended most of our remaining strength to carry the boat back from the garage.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, given the dire warnings about damage to the scuppers, assuming we are able to get the TI onto the post-cart, is it safe to try to mount the TI on the cart in the sand area and bump it onto the boardwalk (around 4 inches above the sand) or is it
better to carry it up to the boardwalk or try to mount it on the boardwalk to avoid this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help. This is a great forum!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you see Sun E Sailor's custom cart? He made it look effortless carrying by himself down extensive beach.

Maybe strapping the non-scupper type cart onto the TI? An extra step but possibly a boat and back saver?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"recent insights", Check the thread titled A NEW BEACH CART, under Transportation/Storage. Looks like you couldn't go wrong with SunE's APPEL CART!