Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wonder if the 2015 TI has the same issues with the lines being low and trying to take your head off?

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sail cut is higher so maybe not. I pick mine up on the 4th of April, I can let you know then.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TI_Tom wrote:
The sail cut is higher so maybe not. I pick mine up on the 4th of April, I can let you know then.

Sounds good. Thanks

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The sheet line does brush across the rear passenger's head, at least that's what I "hear" when up front and tacking. I just need to turn the music up more. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When furled the line actually fell across my shoulders in the back seat and I'm only 6'.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats the main reason I sail from the front seat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife has chosen the rear seat for the first few times that we've had our TI out. She is bothered a bit by the main sheet and I thought I'd take a crack at building a roll bar. I'm using sched40 1 1/4" pvc but notice that there's a bit of play between the molded rod holders and the PVC. Is tape of some sort the best solution for tightening the fit?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob:
When I did my motor mounts I had a similar situation. I made 8-10 vertical beads of GE silicone up and down the PVC covered the tube with saran wrap then shoved it into the rod holder and let it setup a couple days (I wiggled around a little before it setup so I could easily remove after the silicone setup, so the fit wasn't too tight). After the silicone dried and setup, I pumped in a little more around the top only to complete the circle. That was a couple yrs ago and I haven't removed or looked at them since, I assume they are holding up ok.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brilliant! Thanks, Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding the rollbar does effect the sail shape and efficiency some (how much I have no clue) If you wrap several loops of spectra around the stern of the boat, then attach the return pulleys for the sail control further back on the boat, this helps with headroom for the rear passenger (a little) without having to add a rollbar (I would maybe try that first). We have motor mounts in our rod holders and when I made the mount I made it with a removable roll bar that I can add if my wife wants to go along and wants to ride in the back (she absolutely hates the sail control line when she is back there). Actually I do too and when solo I usually ride in the front.
Currently I have the return pully in it's original position, and the roll bar removed (been that way for a while now), I really have no compelling reason why.
I see many others use the roll bars without issues.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the roll bar would be similar to moving the fair lead on a jib aft. This opens up the leach a little making the sail handle higher winds but possibly giving up a little in lighter winds. For how I use the TI, I am personally not at all concerned about details like this - but I generally am on my sailboat.

I sit in the rear on a 2015 TI and the sheet ropes will take my hat off if Im not watching but its generally not a big problem. When I furl the sail, the sheet rope is definately in an bad position so I have a little hook on one side of the main hull that I hook the sheet to - stays out of the way. I would think the roll bar would improve things while sailing but with the sail furled, the sheet rope would still be in the way for the person in the back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I was going to make a new roll bar I would make it fairly tall (taller than the one I have now). On the cross bar I would have a ring that slides back and forth on the cross bar. To that ring I would attach a bungy with a smaller ring at the other end that holds the sail control lines.
When sailing with tension on the control lines the bungy would stretch and shouldn't affect the sail too much. Once the main is furled the bungy would hold the sail control line high enough to clear the rear passengers head.
Maybe someday I'll do that.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been having terrific fun on our TI. I actually can't remember having a better time unless I go way back to our sailboat racing days. Yee Ha!!

I took the TI out this afternoon (solo) to try out my newly constructed roll bar; I've got the bottom portion semi-perm in the rod holders and have the top portion(s) of the two samples glued together and then held to the bottom by way of stainless bolts through the fittings. I had to chuckle because I was so focused on the engineering side of the project that I forgot what moving the sheet would do to sail shape.

My TI points upwind poorly already but it seems that my rollbar has exacerbated that. Moving the clew hook up has caused the foot of the sail to be taught relative to the leech. The sail twists and spills air out the top as a result when sailing upwind.

On to step two tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy your boats!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did anyone ever come up with an efficient "Roll Bar" and document it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dcross715 wrote:
I have a 2012 TI and experience the same problem of the mainsheet lines interfering with the backseat person. I think the solution is a roll bar that fits into the existing rod holders raising the mainsheet lines higher. I also want to attach rod holders on it.

This has been addressed before with pics and videos from Halibu77 and Living Waters but the videos and pics are no longer available.

Does anyone have a design that works for them? How does it affect the handling of the mainsheets and does it put an undue strain on the boat or sail with the mainsheets raised?

Anyone having any designs and pics and material specifications that they are happy with and would be willing to share?

Did you ever get a response with reasonable pictures?