Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Talking about a 2015 AI 2 right now. I don't want to add a tiller extension and start hiking out with the steering handle behaving the reverse of a tiller in normal sailing. I'm afraid my tiller reactions on other boats i sail would get reversed and confused. When it's just a handle moved by my wrist--that has not interfered with sailing on other boats where it is my arm and shoulder that move the tiller. So I've been content until now that I think about adding haka benches, tiller extension, and hiking out.

Can I reverse the lines at the cam underneath the steering handle? Does anybody have a picture or some information on what that looks like in there and/or how to do this?? Only way I can see it is with a mirror at this point. People must have to replace broken lines sometimes, so I would guess there's info about this somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the fleet. I see you are local, where will you be sailing?
Don't sweat the reverse tiller thing. You will get used to it. Use two fingers as it will be a different action than a normal tiller.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the shout. Where are you? I live south of Pottstown and west of Phoenixville. Stuck with Marsh Creek or Nockamixon mostly because of time issues. Barnegat is 2.5 hrs for me each way, so that's less attractive.

I saw somebody heading for Marsh Creek recently with a red AI 2, or TI. Was that you? Thinking of calling up Jack Ott at Clews and asking if anybody else has bought this summer.

This is my 3rd Adventure Island--had an AI 1, tried the TI for social reasons (but she didn't like it), and have now come back to the AI 2. I do still want to look into the steering switch. Marsh Creek in any strong breeze is extremely turbulent, and I may be sailing a laser also there. I really don't want to mess up quick reflexes. Also I have sailing friends that freak out at trying the AI when they realize it steers reversewise.

So, anybody out there? I'm still looking for info about working with the steering lines. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am near Doylestown so nockamixon is my favorite.
When there is no wind I go to barnegat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

what launch on Barnegat. I know a ramp at Tom's River, beach at Trixie's landing, and the public dock at Tuckerton. Do you have others or a favorite?? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Admin

mikereddy wrote:
Can I reverse the lines at the cam underneath the steering handle? Does anybody have a picture or some information on what that looks like in there

This is not the same system, but may help in understanding:

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trixies is my favorite. I have launched from the state park, but only in a regular kayak.
Would like to find a new place farther north, but have not explored yet. I take RT 530 out so it drops me right there.
Looking at going again saturday, winds not looking like much locally.
Barnegat is a wet ride but always fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mikereddy wrote:
So, anybody out there? I'm still looking for info about working with the steering lines. Thanks

Maybe you can be interested in my mods.
I added steering lines to existing ones, have a look to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54440

Just cross the lines to get the behavior you are looking for.

Bye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, Blasius--thank you both very much. I'll look at both links within a couple days. Today and tomorrow I'm focused on building and testing a crude haka bench for the port side of the AI 2. Back later....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, Blasius, I looked at your steering video today. Very nice! What is the secondary steering line doing while you are using the normal handle? I see you put it through the "rollbar," but I can't tell what it's doing as the regular handle is moved. I has to be moving as well.

Also, do you have to keep pulling the secondary steering lines taut (by keeping your arm pressing towards the bow of the boat) while you are using it?

Also it looks like I am seeing combination backrest and seat in the second video. Also very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt--thanks for the twist and stow repair pdf. The AI 2 (looking with a mirror) appears to have a semicircular cam as opposed to a control arm under the steering handle. Can I take that cam down into the boat by unscrewing the handle from the top? If so, I would guess I could get to the lines visually and with my hands in order to reverse the lines.

So the question becomes--how does that disassembly and reassembly operation work? Is that described someplace? Can I just wing it and try it or are there any pitfalls in that approach.

There's clearly no way to reach the cam while it's attached to the handle via the shaft going through the hull. I could try to position a mirror for visual access, but I'd still be doing everything backwards.

Thanks very much. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dear Mike,
let me try to answer to your questions:

mikereddy wrote:
OK, Blasius, I looked at your steering video today. Very nice! What is the secondary steering line doing while you are using the normal handle? I see you put it through the "rollbar," but I can't tell what it's doing as the regular handle is moved. I has to be moving as well.

Yes the secondary steering line, when not in use. MUST stay so that it can freely move, without any risk that it can get stuck when you move the handle. I tried different solutions, and the one that seems to work better is the one you can see in the video, where the line move inside a piece of pipe (yellow one) that I put in an hanging position when not in use. The second pipe (black one) that is connected to the previuos one, as you can see in the video, is used in order to block the yellow pipe in different positions when in use, so that I can use it as an handle. As you can understand depending on the side you are hiking off, you need to pull the line from a different position.

mikereddy wrote:
Also, do you have to keep pulling the secondary steering lines taut (by keeping your arm pressing towards the bow of the boat) while you are using it?

The secondary line is able to steer in a very smooth way, there is no reason to keep it taut, unless you need/want a very fast steering reaction. In normal wind conditions I use to keep it slack and tighten only when needed.

mikereddy wrote:

Also it looks like I am seeing combination backrest and seat in the second video. Also very nice.

There are different reasons because I made and prefer the wooden backrest to the original hobie seat.
The main one is that the original one tends to fold under my ass when I am pedalling.

After that I made it and tried, I realized that it improves and adds functionalities (e.g. Rollbar, it can be used as a raised seat, it can be used to hang the secondary steering line and so on), and expecially it is much more confortable for my back than the original seat.
The one you can see in the video has recently been modified with an additional lumbar support because of my hypolordosis problem.
In the next days I will publish a new video where you can see the last mods.

I am very happy with it, and I will never turn back to the original seat.

Bye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mikereddy wrote:
I saw somebody heading for Marsh Creek recently with a red AI 2, or TI. Was that you? Thinking of calling up Jack Ott at Clews and asking if anybody else has bought this summer.
There is at least one more guy, and he has a yellow AI-2. Cannot recall the name, but I believe he bought from Jack Ott and that Jack knows his name.

I've got a new grey (oops, "Dune") AI-2. but my hope of cartopping it has not worked out - so I will not be able to get to Marsh until the trailer I just ordered arrives - probably sometime next week.

There is also a guy who pedals a grey Revolution 16 for exercise and that guy *motors*... I can always spot him because he is moving so much faster than everyone else.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll try to email you offline from the forum... :-)

Yes... too big to cartop... Jack did a nice trailer for me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know not too many are interested in this, but I've made the switch so that the steering handle behaves like a normal sailboat tiller. It was pretty straightforward after all.

Get yourself plenty of slack by untieing the rudder steering lines, putting an end stop knot in them, and letting them pull tight against the throughhull fittings, shown above.

Unscrew the steering handle, push the vertical rod up against the spring, and pull the pin out that holds the rod in place. You can then put the steering cam up on the deck (there's enough slack), and tie the lines exactly like they were, except reversed. Put it back together, retie the lines to the rudder back aft, center the action and it works fine.

When you put it back together, make sure that the circular part of the cam faces aft (the way it is shown in the picture)

One thing I cannot figure out is that now there is much less friction in the steering than there was. I love how easily it moves, but am puzzled by the change.