Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello! I didn't like the mast bag I got when I bought my TI in 2010 and last summer it disappeared in the sea. I don't want to buy a new one. I would rather see another solution. I imagine that you could fasten a pipe for the mast on the akas. It doesn't have to be longer than 1,5 m if you have softer materials in the ends, like in the original mast bag. Preferably you could also have some harder cups in the ends.

The front end of the pipe would preferably be able to rotate a bit. The back end of the pipe would be easy to remove from the aka. In that way it would be easier to put the mast into or out of the pipe, even when you're on the water. Especially if the pipe is far out on the aka and you move the akas forward when you want to get the mast out of or into the pipe.

The mast would get a better shield and a pretty safe place onboard, even during transport on land. The risk of losing the mast would be much lower and the same would be true for the mast shield.

Does this sound like a good solution to you?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on how long the pipe is it would be pretty awkward trying to put the mast which is as long as the hull into the pipe while on the waster. It seems like most people just lash the mast to their hakas or across the akas. But if you really want a pipe based holder I would split a piece of pvc pipe and either just use one side of it as a cradle or hinge the second piece back on to make a clam shell assembly you can just lay the mast into. With some padding inside the pipe the mast/sail could be captured pretty securely. It's interesting to think about but probably unnecessary.

Chris