Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Stringy,

Brilliant. Could you post info on the "tube clips" . Where to buy them what size etc... That's a great solution. Are the tube clips "unbreakable"? They seem like a potential failure point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim Quinlan, aka CaptnChaos, developed a very simple, fast bungee loop attachment which can be used with 3 & 4 board hakas. I have described it here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645&p=200342#p200342 and here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240 I've used this method of attachment on many camping trips w/o problem. It is especially useful because I remove my "table" haka immediately on landing to set up camp. You can see that in my week-long solo camp trip: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=255

Jim's loop attachment could be adapted to any other style haka easily. It is simple, easy, & secure.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased four Railblaza rotating platforms and four aka bar mounts. I plan to mount the platforms to the bottom of my hakas so they can stay on the akas when folded in. I have seen a few members do this and it looks like a great idea, although it's definitely more expensive than going the bungee route.

I hope if Hobie releases a set of hakas, they will consider an option like this.

Here is a video showing it in action...it is at the 1:00 mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91NTwZiNJUE[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure a CAD wiz could engineer something custom, but there's nothin wrong with bungees. Simple, fast, cheap, effective and movable.

Hawaiians were lashing their canoes and Hakas for centuries. They still do. Some use elastic now.

Add a couple eyebolts and clip onto those if you feel the need for speed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You are right, bungees are easy, affordable and quick...but the one thing that is wrong with them for some folks is you can't fold the akas in when the hakas are bungee'd to them. The Railblaza mounts solve that issue, but at a price.

It is definitely more convenient for me since I launch directly into the water off my dock, and it is too narrow to launch with the akas extended or I would be hitting dock posts. So I would have to undo and redo the hakas while floating in the water every time I launch/retrieve. Sometimes convenience is priceless (well, almost).

If Hobie came out with some hakas I'm sure the bungee method would be fine, and somehow people could figure out how to add the rotating platforms to them if someone wanted to.

Sounds like it will be a while before Hobie produces anything though...so in the mean time...I am trying to decide what to make mine out of. Abisal's look great on his TI. I hope to make a decision this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a knock on your design, Matt. I was going to do the same thing with the startports, but realized how functional the bungees were. Then I looked at the expense of doing this for 4 Hakas (on the TI3). Ouch.

But your mod is the only on so far that addresses the folding features of the AI/TI. I'm impressed that you took it to the next level.

At the same time, one of the "features" of the tramps/lashed Hakas is that they provide rigidity to the frame, which helps to prevent aka collapses, while providing an overall tighter feel to the boat. Less "wonka-wonka" as we say in the Batcave.

And if you leave your bungees loose, you'll find that you can also fold the Akas to a degree. I prefer them tight though, for the reasons I mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I kinda split both methods--i'm using Railblaza star ports on the front- with the attachment adapters screwed into the haka, and two paddle clips on the rear. If i want to fold the amas i just pop the rear, and fold she goes...

Spending way too much time messing with the boat right now, can't wait to get my foot outta this dang cast and sail it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have we seen picts of your mount Coach?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How have modders been dealing with the fitting shown in this photo? I've been working on my design while my boat is away in winter storage. I'm a bit concerned that the "c" fitting shown in the photo below will interfere with my 2 in half pipe mounting. Any thoughts????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

leelanauX wrote:
How have modders been dealing with the fitting shown in this photo? I've been working on my design while my boat is away in winter storage. I'm a bit concerned that the "c" fitting shown in the photo below will interfere with my 2 in half pipe mounting. Any thoughts????

Personally, I would remove it as it's become a less essential item as it's only used for the brace storage.
You just have to be mindful that the brace is now loose when your putting the AKA into storage and could give your knuckles a quick whack.
Ouch %#@%* !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you just cut a notch in your half pipe to fit the "brace home" you will also gain lateral location fixing, which surely is a good thing....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's one reason we ditched the original half pipe idea (actually, a 1/3 pipe works best), in favor of the universal fit using compression. But you can work around this. The pipes don't have to be full length, and they don't need to be fixed for that matter. The clips and short pipes could swivel.

Also, using "fixed" attachment points is likely going to prevent you from mounting your seats on both AIs and Tis, Trifoilers, etc. 8)

When you design yours, if you can preserve the ability to slide the seating in and out this will be a huge advantage.

Also note that if you remove one bungie on each Aka, the whole system is collapsable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All good suggestions thanks.

With the cantelever design there is some upward force on the front of the haka when you hike out to the back. I also sail with tramps and hakas as i run around the boat a lot as will have been seen from the videos.

So the front attachment is quite tricky as the tramp runs full width. So i am considering cutting a pocket out of the tramp to be able to run the bungees round in two places. At the moment they can only go on the outer end of the aka. Has anyone trimmed holes in the tramps? Perhaps some sort of hot knife would be needed?

Cc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would guess so CC, yes. Adding some stainless grommets should do the trick. They make snap on plastic ones, but most of these are pretty lame.

If I was offshore hanging off the extended Hakas, I'd go with a secure non elastic tiedown in front.

Are you able to eliminate any rocking with just you sitting out on the end of the boards?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a few shots of mine-- its in the garage, sorry about the pic quality. I used the railblaza mount in front, with the adapters, and then paddle clips in rear. The Railblaza adapter has a little washer that lets it swivel. So i can pop out the paddle clips (just pull up,and fold in the Ama. Right now i have the hakas in close, so they don't fold as neatly as when they are out a bit. I found that I don't even need to lock down the Railblaza (probably should, but i don't)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 88  Next