Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

12.5# unfinished--my experience has been that 1 coat of stain and 3 coats of marine varnish really increases their weight.

Nice job though, so far..

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not using stain, so I'll save that bit of weight. I like the natural color of the wood, or rather the honey color it gets with just the Helmsman. (Hey, it'll go with the yellow of the TI... :wink: )

It appears I should be able to cover both with three coats using a quart of the urethane, just finished the first coat and it used about 1/3 of the can. A full quart weighs just a bit over 2 lbs, including the can, so worst case the hakas should be about 13.5 lbs each. Or so I hope...!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

300#? Another 1.5 in varathane ain't gonna hurt! :lol:

Well done Joe. They look sharp and get the Hawaiian seal is approval.

Speaking of seals, make sure the hardware is countersunk and well sealed, stainless or not. The wood tends to flex, expand and swell, which allows for corrosion traps. I think I gflexed my seated screws before using spar to finish.

Salt and UV eat away at our coatings here. Particularly plastic ones. Water seals alone did not do the trick.

As far as the offset spans, no biggie. NOW you can tell the port from the starboard one. :wink:

Welcome to the club Bro!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I set out to build a set of 'haka' benches to let me hike out when sailing in good wind, and to free up the rear cargo area to enable the little fella to come out sailing/fishing.

Thanks stringy, I pretty much copied your basic idea.

Parts list:
Bunnings -
DIY screening 'rear fix' rails (19mm) x 4 ~ $33 each (ouch) - here.
Protector 'End Rail' x 3 - ~$10 each here.
Aluminium Bar, 1m x 3mm. here.
Heat shrink, 20mm. (no running link)
4mm x 9.2mm blind rivets (aluminium) (more than 100). I also used a few 3.2mm I had lying around.
1 x second hand aluminium security door $30 (the mesh, 7mm, fills the gap between the rungs and rail perfectly.
4x Quick Fist clamps
2x 4packs of closed cell EVA foam mats (I chose the mats with holes)
4mm shock cord.
S/S countersunk bolts (for quick fists)

Process:
I cut the 'End Rail' into 333mm lengths, giving 6 per 2m length. These are the rungs. First go, I used 6 per frame (located where there were pre-drilled holes in the rails, no need to measure and mark)
Once these were sitting into the rails, got a measure for the security mesh width. Leave a couple of mm gap, or they can scratch the rails.

Dismantled the door, found a profile that was perfect for hiding the messy ends of the mesh.
I got the grinder out and ran it down the length of the security door to give the two panels (with a thin section left). Much file work later there no sharp edges left (all up there were about 30+ cuts each length!)

I also cut the profile to length, and recessed a bit off each end so it sat nicely on the rails.

With it all sitting together, I started to drill and rivet:
1. Rungs to Rails

2. Mesh profiles to rails (at ends)

3. Mesh to rungs

Test fitted to get mount points for quick fist clamps and front hooks.
One hole for each quick fist:

I made the hooks (for the front aka) by cutting the aluminium to length, bending around the aka.

I then superglued some foam to the inside of the hook, cut the heat shrink to length, wiggled it on and heat-gunned it down tight. I then drilled out enough foam for the rivets to work and used 3x 4mm each side to hold it in place.

(Using the hooks lets you move the haka in/out as the akas are not parallel).

After another test fit it was found that the rung spacing in the seating area (back half) was too wide, and the mesh flexed excessively. I ended up cutting another 2m of end rail for 6 rungs, and using these in between the back three gaps. This made a much stronger structure.

I then cut the foam mats to size, and laced some shock cord around the outside. This gave enough comfort for sitting on.
I attached a scotty mount to the side near the front of one of them, to use as my DIY camera mount

All up weight is about 5.7kg each with mounting hardware/foam etc.

I use the quick fists as is to hold the rear of the hakas, and occy straps tight on the front as backup. The mesh gives ample points to used occy straps to hold my esky, storage box etc. I also place an occy strap across the back of the haka, and tuck my inactive rods under it lying along the haka.
(The esky is out of the way of the sail in almost all conditions.)

I also make a cheap tiller extension handle - 3mm U shackle, some shock cord and an extendable aluminium handle from a brush (cur off some plastic, and drilled a 7mm hole for the shock cord which was knotted tightly after passing through the shackle. Also added a SS bolt to stop the plastic separating from the handle).
(I drilled a 3.5mm hole in my old-style steering handle for the shackle)
This lets me steer from anywhere, you can see it in the pic two above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to see some more aly haka as an alternative to wood. Nice work Deefa! 8) I've been very happy with mine. After a year of use the powder coat aly still looks as good as it did when new. Works great in the marine environment and the only maintenance has been a quick rinse after use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And also nice work with your wooden haka RJ. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:

Every # slows you down compared to your buddy who is an 160# weakling and doesn't use hakas.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Every # slows you down compared to your buddy who is an 160# weakling and doesn't use hakas.

Keith

I have noticed that! I've dropped a few pounds in the last few months and am noticeably faster on the water. Now if I could just leave a few more pounds of extra safety gear, tools and spares (but not my haka) back on shore, I might be a force to reckoned with. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm curious about a couple minor details: What did others do about the existing paddle bungees and clips? They are in the way if I want to slide the haka close to the hull, so I am going to remove them. (Maybe relocate the bungees to the hakas.)

Did you do anything special about the screw holes for the bungee screws? Just fill them with silicone or something to keep water out?

I notice the bolt that holds the clip on the aka brace also holds the retainer strap that runs between aka and brace. Just take the paddle clip off then put the bolt back in place?

Put the third coat on today and the weather looks good for this weekend. Looking forward to trying out the hakas!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking at spine boards as a possibility for hakas and see that they are available in both 16" and 18" widths. Is there any reason to select one width versus the other ? I was thinking the extra 2" would be a plus.
Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RandomJoe wrote:
I'm curious about a couple minor details: What did others do about the existing paddle bungees and clips? They are in the way if I want to slide the haka close to the hull, so I am going to remove them. Good. (Maybe relocate the bungees to the hakas. Yes.)

Did you do anything special about the screw holes for the bungee screws? Just fill them with silicone or something to keep water out? No need to fill them to keep water out--lots of water gets in because there is a hole in the plastic fitting at the outer end of the aka. Also, the rivets often leak (that is probably the reason for the hole at the end of the aka.)

I notice the bolt that holds the clip on the aka brace also holds the retainer strap that runs between aka and brace. Just take the paddle clip off then put the bolt back in place?

Put the third coat on today and the weather looks good for this weekend. Looking forward to trying out the hakas!

Buckaroo wrote:
I'm looking at spine boards as a possibility for hakas and see that they are available in both 16" and 18" widths. Is there any reason to select one width versus the other ? I was thinking the extra 2" would be a plus. 16" is wide enough, 18" is just adding extra weight.

Thanks

Chris

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith
- Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Buckaroo wrote:
I'm looking at spine boards as a possibility for hakas and see that they are available in both 16" and 18" widths. Is there any reason to select one width versus the other ? I was thinking the extra 2" would be a plus.

One consideration: If you want to be able to put both of them on one side to make a wide platform the akas (at least on my TI) are 32" from the edge of the knuckle to where the aka bends down to the ama. If you use 2 x 18" you'd have 4" unsupported at the outer end.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't know that Joe, thanks for mentioning it.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I added self sticking jet ski floor mats to my spine board haka which fixed all of it's slippery and padding problems.

The extra pieces are mounted to the bottoms to cushion and stop slipping on the aka.

Thanks Chris for the mats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 88  Next