Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just installed my tramps(finally) and I am wondering how other people have handled securing their hakas if they want to use both tramps and hakas at the same time.
T2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bungees. Have a scan back through my posts for pictures
Cc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If they're rolled no problem, just longer bungies.

If they're deployed it's tricky. We have not done this yet but the solution would be to add large grommets where you want to strap on the Hakas, and thread the bungee through those.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
NOHUHU-I didn't look underneath, but from the picture, it appears his hakas are simply resting on a 1/4" thick clear, soft plastic wrap. It is a very nice protector. Keith
That stuff looks great! Know where I can find it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, it looks nice. No idea where it can be obtained. I just use plastic strips tacked on the bottom of my hakas--CaptnChaos invention. That way, the protection moves with the hakas as you slide them in/out along the aka.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like clear PVC tubing to me. Available from most hardware stores. Just cut it and slip it over the aka.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tsquared wrote:
I just installed my tramps(finally) and I am wondering how other people have handled securing their hakas if they want to use both tramps and hakas at the same time.
T2

T2,
After trialling a few options (including strapping through a slit in the forward tramp) I've found this to be the easiest way to fit the haka over the tramp. It has been well tested now in the open ocean and large swells/strong winds.

I bent some 20mm x 3mm aluminium into a 'hook' to fit around and under the aka. I lined it with wetsuit neoprene glued to the hook with contact cement.

Tube clips at the rear aka lock it down between the tramp straps.

It's easy to fit and remove. Locate it over the front aka/tramp, pull it back and clip it down.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5cfX_RENY[/youtube]
A strap around the rear aka can be added for safety but the tube clips do hold it securely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Stringy--that is VERY helpful. I am out this week after halibut(if the wind ever settles--blowing 30 knots at the moment) on the AI and I wanted to use the tramps so I can have some place to flop the halis onto.(here's hoping, anyway.) I need one haka while doing this because the haka is where I have my gps/fishfinder mounted. I have cedar hakas but I could do the aluminum hooks the same way as you. I love this site. I'll post some pics if I get lucky this week.
T2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well the weather finally allowed me to test out my hakas and get a few minutes of video. This was inshore with dirty wind about 10mph. Fastest reading on gps was 9MPH and the water is quite murky from all of the rain we have had lately.

I plan to get more footage offshore soon, but so far I am very pleased with the setup. Cantilever is definitely the way to go.

Cheers,

Jay

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8vW86N5hYM[/youtube]

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice video Jay.

I finished my hakas based on your idea, just made a different hole set-up. I am at the varnish stage. I will put pictures later. Just wondering, as i don't have my TI yet, i went to the Quebec boat show last week and there was a 2012 TI in display, I measured the distance C to C of the Akas, and i got 56.5 inches. You said you have 56 15/16 center to center. I already cut the front craddle of the haka to fit the aka, but not the rear to make sure it fits.....

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Richard,

Varnishing day after day for over a week is the step that takes the most time but possibly the most rewarding (except of course hiking out on them!)

The difference you are talking about is less than half an inch and if using 2" PVC as clips is negligible. No 2 boats are exactly the same and I'm sure that difference is within tolerance. the akas move and shift slightly in the xbars and as has already been identified the front aka ever so slightly deviates from parallel from the rear as they approach the amas. The difference of 1/2" is likely to be there, but again, negligible, at least in my case. So much so, that is i had not cut a trim out of the PVC to fit over the rear aka support bar clip I could slide the haka back and forth over the span of the akas no problem. Fitment is sound and excess play is absorbed by the natural flex of the PVC and insulating rubber liner.

The one thing I am going to modify is the orientation of the front PVC clip opening. Right now it faces directly down like the rear, but i have found when standing/sitting on the catilevered portion the from has actually popped up off the aka as the bungies stretch. I will be facing the openings more toward the front so you push the clip in on the front then lay the rear clip down. Does that make sense? the upward force on the front of the haka will be negated by the PVC clip wrapping underneath the front aka.

I look forward to seeing your pics!

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good stuff Jay. Liked the video, reminded me of how I sail, laying every which way on the Hakas.

We need to see you solo sailing out on the rear of those diving boards next. Will your hiking stick make it?

We never felt right about extending the Hakas that far, (for open water anyway) but with stringy's metal ladder hooks on the front end, I think I could ride back there with more confidence. You may want to consider this too.

Let's see more videos. I'm waiting for your girl to catch that "big one". :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK - who is this? Sailing Lake Mead. You been holding out on us!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYr2YWU5SE[/youtube]

Great video w/ a simple plot. A man, a woman, a lake, a boat, a beer. Classic fun out on the Hakas. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old 'eagle eye' Stringy picked up on the new covering on my Hakas. Just thought I'd post some shots.

Gotta still be the cheapest and lightest Haka out there though ( and looks it ). The blue foam, glued and screwed but removable, took the price up to $49 and the weight up to 4.5kgs. Soooo comfy !!!

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmm,.. What's up Eagle Eye - taking a yoga class now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 88  Next