Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great solution Larry! Simple, effective, guaranteed salt-water proof, plus you effectively have two extra vessels with you at all times. I can envisage occasions when that would be really great if you had extra passengers on board. Those SUP's look like a lot of fun in their own right.
I like the way you have them strapped down. It means you can shift your weight well aft without the nose of the board coming up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See? That's EXACTLY what I was talkin about! "Lazy man's" Hakas. Ready made! :lol:

Now we just got to convince Larry to trade up to a RED TI.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I now have the name for my TI to go with that great snake graphic!

PUFF LADDER
LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Chris, Yes you can walk all around the boards. Place your weight any where you need to, but the main reason for them is to keep friends butts out of the water while fishing. Nohuhu, I like the color blend, I tried to find yellow boards but they were too much money. That would have cut into my toy fund too deep. The boards are fun by them self and funny to watch friends try them.
Remember He who dies with most toys wins!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

larryhts wrote:
Hi to All. Guys this is my favorite thread here. Great ideas from all over the globe. I use my tandem for flats fishing and chasing dolphins and just sailing fun. After looking at all the ideas and thinking about how I use my boat, and the fact that I never know who if any one will be going with me. This is what I have come up with. They serve many purposes. I am still working on the tiller extension. Lets keep this going.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6596/3d2.mp4

Woah Larrry !!! Very nice job. Those look like they would be very comfortable and practical. Great for passengers to lay or sit on too. Have you had a chance to weigh them?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah. If you think of them as Hakas, they're fairly expensive, but if you think of them as additions to the fleet, which can also serve as Hakas, they seem quite reasonable. It's all in the framing 8) .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Jim, Each one weights 48 lbs. But will float 300 lbs. So I am hoping to test them more this weekend, probably Fort Desoto again. Working on the tiller extension, thinking about using one of the paddle boards T handle for the extension.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A simple multi use solution Larry- nice! 8)

Tony,
Very clever coming up with that name.
I found out more about that aluminium/foam sandwich. It's called Panelink and is made by Versiclad: http://www.versiclad.com.au/walls/?id=walls#finishes
The offcut I have is their 38mm random groove aluminium (both sides) panel.
A 2.4 x 1.2m x38mm sheet costs around $250. You would have to add extra for the edge extrusions but considering you'd get 4 haka out of that sheet it's quite reasonable. As I'm well into the ladder haka project I won't be going with the Panelink just yet, but for someone starting their Haka from scratch this could be viable. You would need to confirm that it would span the 1.5m/AI, 1.4m/TI aka distance OK but I'm sure with the right edge extrusion that wouldn't be a problem. Based on the offcut I have it weighs around 2.8kg/sqm. The only negative I can see is that it may be prone to dents as the alu is very thin, but its strength to weight ratio is amazing. Think of an aluminium clad surfboard and you'll get an idea of how stiff/strong/light this product is. :)

Last edited by stringy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

larryhts wrote:
Thanks Jim, Each one weights 48 lbs. But will float 300 lbs. So I am hoping to test them more this weekend, probably Fort Desoto again. Working on the tiller extension, thinking about using one of the paddle boards T handle for the extension.

If there's good wind this weekend, maybe I'll take a trip down to Ft. Desoto to see your setup :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the resale value of my tramps just took a nose dive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Jim, I'll have my cell on me all the time. I have started the tiller extension and will try it this weekend.
3/16 bungee adjustable to go around the knob and then twist to tighten and lock on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NICE tiller extension!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What KB said! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to this inspiring thread that helped me decide on how I would build my haka. I spent a lot of thoughts on every material possible (wood, fiberglass-reinforced pine planks, ladder, aluminum tubing/angle bar, HDPE sheets, and a whole lot more) for about a month and I ended up using FRP channel. I got it out 2x on the water, San Francisco bay and Monterey Bay. They work so well that I can not go out without them.

Last edited by tailwalk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NICELY DONE! Extra points for the rod holders. 8)

I was looking at cable raceways and the like for just such an idea, but FRP seems to have a higher load rating. Going with only 3 slats, they need it...

Looking forward to more info on assembly options, weight and performance.

Great first post!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 88  Next