Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mikereddy wrote:
STILL want to know how people get on and off the narrow haka benches positioned way outboard on the akas. Anybody???

I am not sure if I understood your question.
If you are asking about the best way to move from the seat to the Haka in order to hike off, this is the way I usually do:

I put one hand on the Haka and the other one to Aka, behind my ass, then I push on both arms and move my body.
I can also suggest too you to put the 2 Hakas not parallel to the hull, but with a divergency, let's say not "| |" shape but "\ /".
You can see that in my video:

In such a way it will be easier to move your body.

Bye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy--thanks for that. Of course that makes sense (I hadn't thought that far) about being all the way outboard dunks the windward ama.

Blasius, thank you. I see your diagonal hakas and understand the movements you describe. I've now found that if I brace myself behind the AI 2 seat on the xbar with one hand, I can just about shift out to the haka in one hop, so that part is getting better. I'm thinking about the diagonal thing.

The butt slider works nice, even though I might not need it all the time. I can paddle a little in that narrow opening, probably enough to deal with the shallows or some kind of mirage drive failure.

FUNNY STORY--after I cut one board off the haka, to make it a 3 board bench, the first time I went out, the launch ramp was very crowded, and I was distracted, and I forgot to take the dolly out and and bungee it on the back of the boat. I sailed around for 30 minutes with this strange feeling (corroborated by the GPS) that I was sure going very slow. How could taking weight off the boat make it slower?? Then it dawned on me I was pedaling my ass of to reach 3 knots (didn't it used to be 5 knots in a sprint?) because I had the landing gear down. Felt really stupid, but boy did the boat feel wonderful after I fixed that problem. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Intro:
This is a first try at posting something like this. Photobucket works picasa web didn't.
I hadn't done wood working for 50 years or so, since 8th grade shop class and I don't consider myself good at woodworking. I got most of my ideas from many of you who shared them here. Thank you all! I adjusted where I thought it good to so so. I have use the haka for a year now.

If I make them again, what would I do differently:
The support is adequate, but there has to be a better way to provide simple yet strong support. I tried using a rubber material where the haka rides on the aka, but it ripped off. I would like to try something a bit tougher so I don't have to mess with banana foam each time.

Length is 2m: I guessed that I would be riding with my weight approximately centered over the rear aka. I extended it beyond the back akas for a sense of security and margin such as a place to put my hands…

Width is 30cm: My lumber choice was 90mm wide. I think it's maybe 1x4. I figured three boards and 15mm spacing for 300mm would be adequate for width space to sit on.

Attachment to the boat:
I place banana foam on the aka under each haka support, both in the front and back.
I make a loop of rope around the haka and aka from the front to the back.
On the back, I double loop the rope around the haka support and aka (for less movement), then tighten.
Note: If I ever need to fold the aka in toward the boat, I can because there is only one point where the hakas attach to each aka. Tested and works just fine. And I don't need any fancy fasteners....

Design:
-Rounded corners to reduce risk of injury.
-Support on the bottom was added to support 80kg+ centered between the akas.
-I attach boat seat cushions which are harbinger attached to the rope holding the haka. They can therefore move along the length of the haka, though I always keep them toward the back. The cushions are just for creature comfort.
-I attached a clam cleats to each haka to hold rope I attach when sailing downwind. I clip a rope to the back of the sail, bring it though a pulley at the ama end of the aka, and cleat it into place.
-I wanted to be able to use them with or without the trampoline, depending on conditions and passenger(s).

You can see them in use in fairly windy conditions:
Forward to about 18min where the action is a bit more fun.

Under calmer family sailing conditions but still useful:

Material:
Wood: I chose cedar because it was available, relatively strong and doesn't easily rot.
Main boards in mm: 2000x90x16. Support 45mm at the peak.
Screws: Stainless steel various sized
Glue: Waterproof wood glue.
Coating: Tung oil, then two coats of polyurethane varnish. (I was going to only use tung oil, but after a couple trips I wanted a little more protection for the wood. I am now adding another layer of polyurethane after a year of use.

Enjoying a 2012 TI
w/ hakas, a stainless steel
mast topper & furling jib

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good move trimming down to the 3-board Hakas. I think the transfer board is a reasonable addition too. Not needed for everyone, but a big help to some, especially guests on TIs.

I would think that most of us hike out to the middle of the akas or closer, depending on the length of your arms and legs (and other appendages). I face slightly forward, with at least one leg in or on the hull. I can lean way out, as required.

I don't recall if you've seen "TI3" thread, but on that boat we have 2 overlapping Hakas per side, one inboard- one out. I love the spot where they lap. Makes for a smooth and stable transfer, and sometimes it's the perfect spot for light winds, or just stay in dry!

Thanks for elevating the discussion here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok, now I want to know if this thread will hit 1) pages.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So here's a haka topic that hasn't been discussed yet. "Recycling Hakas" :lol:

These old AI Hakas were just sitting in the garage for a couple years so they were recycled to be used at our mini farm. Still strong and sturdy plus the plants love them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sheesh, it's 6:30 AM and I've been reading this thread for HOURS! Can't wait to try my spine board Haka. Muussst...sleeep...zzzzz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comments like that make it ALL worth while! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There hasn't been much activity on this thread lately so I'll share a simple accessory I made for my hakas.

After selling my TI and getting an AI2, the first thing I did was to cut down my TI's 4 board hakas to 3 board. However, one thing still lacking during downwind sailing was I needed a better method to hold the paddle in position while using it as a makeshift boom to rigidly extend the sail.

So I came up with "haka wedges". Simple to build, only needing several scraps of wood. It really depends on how you built your hakas though. Mine have a slot running between the boards with an adjustable bungee to secure gear or whatever. Basically all I do is drop the haka wedge into the slot and drape the bungee over it (bungee probably isn't even needed). Attach the notched end of the paddle to the sail and the other end slides under the haka wedge. Works beautiful and adjustable by sliding haka or haka wedge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murphy's Law...
I have almost finished my haka, which has been built from close-grained pine, with 4 planks, and 3 reinforcing struts. I decided to paint it rather than stain it, so many hours have been spent on its construction.

So today I looked up Alibaba.com, Chinese trading portal.

I was thrilled :( to see that I could buy a spineboard with the following specifications
Dimenmsions 184*44*5 cm
Nett weight 6.5Kg
Max load 159Kg
Unit price. THIRTY US DOLLARS!!!
Freight:" Express 82USD (but sea shipping would be cheaper)

Bugger! At that price, my carpentry work was a waste of my time...
I am sure there are many suppliers, but here is the link to the one I got the freight quote from.

http://dragoniec.en.alibaba.com/product ... 186.HJ0MX4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad you got around to making them Tony. The red spine boards look good too. With the straps. And fairly light.

Capt, thanks for the ideas. :idea: There are countless ways to accessorize the benches.

I like seeing cleats and starports on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone thought about using furniture grade PVC to build hakas? I have a design I think might work using 1 1/4" PVC and topping off the bench with polypropylene pegboard. It'll probably be a few months before I get around to this project but I thought I would throw it out there for comments.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I'm glad you got around to making them Tony. The red spine boards look good too. With the straps. And fairly light.

Capt, thanks for the ideas. :idea: There are countless ways to accessorize the benches.

I like seeing cleats and starports on them.

I decided to stick with the one haka I built (the Hobie spinnaker sock & paddle occupy the other side). I have added a motor mount for a 24# Watersnake trolling motor (here in unfinished form)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joining the Haka club with this first attempt to put on my 2016 AI.

I'm using Poplar slats (3 1x4's) with Mahogany spacers and Oak braces all stained Gunstock with Varnish. Many coats of varnish next before assembling to test out. Hoping to have one side done by this weekend to test but it's been super humid in Naples, FL so it depends how the drying goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Gus! It's a big club now.

They look sturdy. The main thing now is sealing the (stainless) hardware so no water penetrates and swells the wood.

Actually, the main thing is getting your okole out on one and enjoying the ride. Hope that's soon. More Picts then?

It's so cool your wife lets you varnish in the house. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 88  Next