Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wings were being used here before the Haka was "reimagined" in the Batcave. But they mate together nicely.

They're usually supported by the the rear Akas, so you can sit over them. Such as these.

You can make the wing come out as far as you wish, over the bar, if no other seating is used.

And however you want to make them - or label them, is fine. They are all just "means for an end".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that NOHUHU. Sorry if I am labouring the point, but I'm interested in all aspects of wing design and there is not much discussion of it on the thread. The wing in the first two photos, which is not resting on Hakas - how is it attached to the boat, to stop it sliding around or seesawing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hey NOHUHU are the rod holders i see in the first pic these? http://www.fishmaster.com/products/rodholders.htm

and if so how do you find them?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Astro wrote:
hey NOHUHU are the rod holders i see in the first pic these? http://www.fishmaster.com/products/rodholders.htm

and if so how do you find them?

thanks
West marine carries them in different shapes and forms. We use other solutions now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Thanks for that NOHUHU. Sorry if I am labouring the point,1 but I'm interested in all aspects of wing design and there is not much discussion of it on the thread. The wing in the first two photos, which is not resting on Hakas - how is it attached to the boat, to stop it sliding around or seesawing?
Not at all Chris. Anything for you.

Those are PVC pipe halves resting on the Aka Crossbar. They can be strapped on with pipe clamps or velcro or whatever. If you can make one that flips up to get at the rear storage, all the better.

Underside in the back is pipe or other stuff to to raise it level. You can also tie into the rod holders hole to make a steady platform.

I love the wing, and often miss not having one now. A mini wing is the way to go, I think - with or without Hakas.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's one of the original models. On the BatBoat.

When I saw how he calibrated the wood to curve up into the Akas, I almost gave up. A skill he has leftover from his days as a Paipo board shaper.

Folks don't know this, but Batman and I used to surf the same bay for many moons and never really met, till our Hobie days.

He probably almost took my head off a couple times with that board too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks NOHUHU 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

surferhunterguy wrote:
Thanks for this thread! Since I'm in south louisiana i figure i may as well go with cypress. A little heavier but will never have a problem with the wood. It's really solid and interestingly a single haka will float me (205 lb). So I guees it's also an extra emergency flotation device. Love it! Thanks

I see that you have knobs on your rudder control levers, would you mind telling me where you got them at? Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Folks don't know this, but Batman and I used to surf the same bay for many moons and never really met, till our Hobie days.

That's true. Here's a shot that I took of them back in the 60's.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tmann, they are Hobie part number 88991355

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Okay, call me stupid, but I just had a thought... What about yet another concept specifically for TIs?

For want of a label, let's call it the "V-bench". A haka runs on each side diagonally from the outer part of the aka to the cargo are behind the back seat, forming a "V" with its partner. The skipper then has variations of quarterdeck and haka to move about on.

I will leave you lot to nut out the details :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tony - not a stupid thought - I have been thinking about this for my new TI - not sure its the way to go yet but I do want to hike out from the rear seat so some kind of extended haka will be needed for that. something along these lines perhaps ?...
Its a long span so would need a support bar behind the back of the rear seat. Doiing it this way allows full hiking out to the amas when strong winds come up and more flexibility in weight distribution. It would make exiting the boat at a dock easier and drier. This v-deck would actually provide a great fishing platform and place to mount a few rodholders. It would be constructed of slatted boards like most hakas to keep weight down and reduce windage. I would probably think about raising it off the deck a few inches to reduce the water exposure. Obviously some weight up the front of the kayak would be need to offset anyone sitting right at the back however one positive might be that it could make rudder pin replacement a little easier. I think cost wise it would be quite economical to do. Anyway its in the ideas box with others to consider.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for keeping the think-tank rolling Aussie! I am tending to think along the lines of adapting the modified batwing concept (inspired by chrisj I think it was) where you could actually use the pedals (set fully aft) while sitting on the platform. This in turn means that the design changes more into a "U" rather than a "V" (or even almost semi-circular!), with a fair portion of the platform running at 90 degrees to the hull direction.

In this case, you could have a pretty wide section (or even all of it) padded, so the skipper can move around in a sort of arc.

By this arrangement, the existing seat area would be covered by the platform, bringing the skipper's weight about two feet further forward than with the V platform as you drew it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe a little more like this (ignoring the lack of drawing skill) ?
On looking at this I'm thinking it may need to be further towards the outer edge of the aka at the sides to give adequate foot room for hiking out and the rudder control would need to be accessible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting closer! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple of design considerations. The Haka/wing needs to be not too heavy or bulky to be transported. It should ideally be easy to fit to the boat and it needs to be supported, so that you can sit at any point without see-sawing. The only way I can see you achieving that with the above design is to attach it to the akas with hose clamps or the like, which could get to be a real pain. It's handy, being able to pedal from the wing, but personally, I wouldn't let it drive the whole design.
I actually like the initial V concept better myself. Much simpler and less bulky and easier to support. Looking at aussieonyak's diagram, it doesn't look much further from the gunwale to the rear aka than the distance between the akas, so the span is not that much more than a conventional Haka and a number of clever ways have already been devised to reinforce it, such as CaptainChaos' aluminium channel. If you are going to put a reinforcing bar behind the rear seat, you might as well go with the proven design of the T3.
<<End of unsolicited advice>>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 88  Next