Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will do on the pictures, I think we will have some better weather later this week.
The texture on mine is about the same as the satin areas on the TI. It's a hard surface for sure and could use a cushion or kayak seat for sitting. Spine boards are famous and controversial for patient discomfort in their intended use.
Seadek would be fantastic on them but pretty expensive.

My narrow behind doesn't end up on the hand holds, time will tell if it's a problem for my wife :oops: .

You may be right about moving them for rear seat access. I need to try that.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've read every page in this interesting thread over the past three months. It's kept me engaged while waiting for my 2015 AI to emerge from the factory. Soon my impatience will be at an end (July delivery!), and I'll be enjoying an immensely capable and fun craft.

I'm sold on hakas. Of all the options, reading this thread has me believing that the simple wooden designs offer the best blend of light weight, comfort, looks and value. Unfortunately I have only the most rudimentary of tools. I think I can get a local hardware store with an attached lumber yard to do some limited milling. Has anyone assembled a parts list and schematics for a reinforced 3-slat design to be used (occasionally) over tramps?

The work on display here is impressive. Assembling a wooden haka must be child's play to you master craftsmen. I'm not the least bit handy. If there's a mistake to be made, I'll find it. I could always take the easy way out and purchase spine boards. Is there a consensus for a good lightweight yet strong version for US delivery?

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished my haka's---I have not tried them out sailing, but I have sat on them, and they feel very firm. Pix later. I used 1 x 3 pine boards, 6 ft long; no stain, just spar varnish. Used 4 cross braces, and a 4 ft alum square tube for bottom support. I think they look just great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good going, guys.

PAL - don't stress. Out boats are for fun. Go for the spiners. The ultra-loc looks like a great light choice with the best set of colors I've seen. You need to consider the bottoms on any of these boards, so that mounting is not a pain, though.

https://ironduck.com/product/ultra-loc/

Get yours custom printed with your boat's name. Or "SUPERMODELS ONLY!" if they're red.

Gary - outstanding!. Keep the info and test drive picts coming. And Dude, wear a leash! :roll:

Bucky - first not to pimp their ride with seadeck wins,..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
Good going, guys.

PAL - don't stress. Out boats are for fun. Go for the spiners. The ultra-loc looks like a great light choice with the best set of colors I've seen. You need to consider the bottoms on any of these boards, so that mounting is not a pain, though.

https://ironduck.com/product/ultra-loc/

Get yours custom printed with your boat's name. Or "SUPERMODELS ONLY!" if they're red.

Gary - outstanding!. Keep the info and test drive picts coming. And Dude, wear a leash! :roll:

Bucky - first not to pimp their ride with seadeck wins,..

Only 6 lbs a side, and $200 per, unless you get them on Amazon. Then it's $300 each, with free shipping. What a deal!

These Ultralocs look splendid but are unfortunately not in the budget. All my spare scratch is going towards Seadeck. Priorities ya know. Might put a dent on the supermodel supply. Oh well. I figure you have the market cornered.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm pretty sure that each one weighs 14lb, but that's better than 16-20lb and very competitive with wood.

The rest of your observations are spot on. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really boring first video, ducks eye view of Iron Duck spine board Hakas. Also shows the large drink holder pvc adapter with an Ecoxgear bluetooth speaker. I moved the Spaflex\Hakas inboard to make it easier for my wife to climb onto the Hakas but now I'm thinking of just covering the entire aka with Spaflex so I can put the Hakas anywhere.
These spineboards are Pinned which makes a convenient place to hook bungee cords as long as they are ones with smaller hooks that will fit in the cutouts where they are mounted. There's an Ascend kayak seat on one Haka. The kayak seat clips right into the pins but I had to use a wide velcro strap around the seat bottom and spine board to keep the seat from sliding.
Thankfully the video is short :)
No SeaDek yet.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not bad for a 1st youtube video!

Even as a woodite, I like this solution. The bottoms of these are flat and the the color match is great.

My advice would be to remove the flexhose quickly when you are out of the water. It will accelerate corrosion underneath.

And use the Haka seats for passengers only. It's really unsafe to sail this way if you are the pilot. Keep your feet on the hull and one hand on the railing or sheet at all times.

Nice boat Bucky..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks ! I will heed all of that advice.
I'm only in fresh water but will keep an eye out for corrosion. Some shorter rings of Spaflex might work just as well and not trap water but I really want to implement a pivoting mount I've been thinking about that would allow the akas to fold to the point that the hakas come alongside the hull. That would really be helpful at times.

The spine boards are not perfectly flat on the bottom. They rise up near the handholds to allow grabbing them when loaded with a patient. The ones I have are perfectly flat on the top and could be strapped on upside down but they seem to work fine right side up and don't rock when lashed down with a cam buckle strap on each end.

Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PAL wrote:
I've read every page in this interesting thread over the past three months. It's kept me engaged while waiting for my 2015 AI to emerge from the factory. Soon my impatience will be at an end (July delivery!), and I'll be enjoying an immensely capable and fun craft.

I'm sold on hakas. Of all the options, reading this thread has me believing that the simple wooden designs offer the best blend of light weight, comfort, looks and value. Unfortunately I have only the most rudimentary of tools. I think I can get a local hardware store with an attached lumber yard to do some limited milling. Has anyone assembled a parts list and schematics for a reinforced 3-slat design to be used (occasionally) over tramps?

The work on display here is impressive. Assembling a wooden haka must be child's play to you master craftsmen. I'm not the least bit handy. If there's a mistake to be made, I'll find it. I could always take the easy way out and purchase spine boards. Is there a consensus for a good lightweight yet strong version for US delivery?

Thanks all!

PAL--go to http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=255 and scroll up/down to find “Construction of Expedition Hakas.”

In that post is a link http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645&p=200342#p200342 to my original post on my first pair of 3 board hakas Scroll down to “Very Strong, 3-Board Hakas—Details of Materials, Costs, Time.”

Both of these links spell out in detail the wood, the tools, the stain/varnish treatment, costs, and the construction of these 2 sets of hakas. The first link spells out more details. I’m currently working on my 3rd set to fit my new AI 2.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

abonnin wrote:
Here's another variation on the haka theme.
That looks attractive because it seems to mitigate the issue of water pressure on the bottom of the haka when punching through a wave.

Is there a reason for attaching the cross brace to the top instead of the botom?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm starting to think about and build haka benches for an AI 2. Is anybody else doing that or have already done it? Should I try to start a conversation about this here, or do you veterans at this think it should be a separate thread?

I've spent several hours reading this amazing thread. So I'm another person thanking all of you for all the experience and design wisdom that has shown up here. :D

The new seat (which is great) makes the quarterdeck or batwing idea less practical it seems. You can fold the seat back forward, but I would not want to put weight on it. Or maybe I'm just older now and not so agile. Also, the amas are so much larger that hiking out (even though I want to do it) is not nearly as necessary as it was on the AI 1. What I've experienced so far in over 20 knots of breeze or puffs is that the ama does not bury easily or at all. I do see the sail deforming a great deal when I reef it. That first batten almost has to be wound all the way around the mast up to the top or else it creates crazy warps and convex to windward wrinkles up near the top.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike, Hakas are just as fun and functional on a TI as they are on the new, or old AI. So it's not about the size of your Amas. Go ahead and build a universal set which can fit any island.

Your point about the new vantage seat is well taken.

Join the revolution. Post your design here when you're finished.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those spine-boards look to be the perfect solution...

Pity they seem so expensive (as with most things) down her in Oz (unless any locals know where they can be had for a decent price).

I'm surprised Hobie haven't jumped on this idea and produced a proper roto-molded HAKA of their own.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike, I have been beating on that drum for a long time, and have never received any meaningful response from Hobie as to why they aren't making a haka instead of all of us having to make our own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 88  Next