Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm installing the kit and don't understand how parts of it are supposed to work. Neither the booklet nor the "installation" video show certain parts in action. Possibly I've just not understood things yet. Thanks for any clarifications or mods that help out here.

First, the cheek block behind the snuffer. If you run the continuous halyard/snuffer line back forward through the block after exiting the snuffer so as to get a good lead to the harken cleat forward on the Xbar, then you seem to have a very bad lead when you try to snuff the chute. Either you are pulling forward with your arm and shoulder so that the line doesn't make a right angle across solid plastic on the cheek block casing (not much strength), or you pull towards yourself where you are sitting and then you have the added drag of a foul lead from the cheek block casing. On land, at least, I would not trust myself to get the chute back into the snuffer. I know it's harder without wind in the chute pulling it forward, but still--this arrangement looks odd to me.

Then there is this loose length of the continuous halyard/snuffer line when the chute is up (between the harken block and the snuffer cheek block), which, if it is not sitting it on top of a trampoline, just looks impossible to stow anyplace securely. The video does not indicate whether the demo guy lead it over or under the tramp forward to the harken.

I'm starting to see why the "travelor pulley" is necessary, but I still don't understand how to rig it. Where does the "knot" go?

And then people are talking about a length of pipe necessary up top to keep the halyard from fouling on the wind indicator mast. On an AI2, is that pipe in front of the mast or behind it?