Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd posted here before, but apparently not or I've forgotten my login details.

Anyway, thought you all might like to see my AI.

http://youtu.be/Rqsmnu1YgQI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Submbi - very nice. Can you give more details? Looks comfortable and just the right height. Looks great and I like the adjustability. Where did you get the seat?

Vetgam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

vetgam wrote:
Submbi - very nice. Can you give more details? Looks comfortable and just the right height. Looks great and I like the adjustability. Where did you get the seat?

Vetgam

Thanks. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I have a Pro Angler 12 (used to have 2 but sold one to get the AI), so the seat is borrowed from the PA12. If it proves to be as good and practical as it seems it will, I will buy the seat back and bottom from Hobie as I will probably be selling the PA in the not too distant future. Hard to sell without the seat I would imagine.

Expensive yes, but I feel my back is very valuable and worth spending money on if I can save it from damage. A couple of weeks ago I spent 10 hours out in the AI and my back was sore for a week after.

Another thing I like about this is the fact I now have a dry ride. When I say dry, I'm talking about when there is no wind and therefore none of the water and spray associated with sailing. I know I am going to get wet when sailing, and I am fine with that, but when it's calm and I'm just pedaling I want to be dry.

I didn't take any photos during the build. The bracket is fabricated in marine ply. The two clamp sections that attach to the cross bar have aluminum laminated onto each side to give extra strength. The cross bar clamps are the only attachment point to the Hull and really only hold position. The section below the pivot points is contoured to the shape of the hull molding behind the seat well out to the gunwales.

So, with the seat fitted, all the weight is distributed evenly across the whole section on and between both gunwales and can not move forward or aft.

The pivot pins are just long SS bolts with a small handle fabricated on the head. The pivot pin puts load on the hole in the bracket, but also through the pivot pin handle onto the outside section above each gunwale. This was necessary because the seat frame is outside the backrest frame and will have the most load on it.

The whole thing was made at home with just basic hand tools: jigsaw, router, files, drills, sand paper and clamps. No plan was used, just an idea and a lot of sitting, looking and thinking.

Not sure if it would be achievable without the side boards? Certainly could not sling the seat base without them, but you could put a padded spacer under the front of the seat frame instead. Slinging the backrest might be doable from the handles on the sides of the hull? I've had the sideboards on since just after getting the AI and would never consider not using them. They just make so much easier to move around and a much more practical fishing platform.

So, now you all know a Vantage seat can be made to work. I would never have just gone and bought one if I hadn't ever sat in one for extended periods, nor if I had never seen one fitted to an AI. However, I am lucky enough to have one available so why not give it a try. I am just about to spend a whole week of all day sailing and fishing and will report back here how the seat goes over that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very clever Submdi! 8)