Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE TI3 PROJECT
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
yaknrugger wrote:
Question for you on the camcleats.

I would suggest doing the easy sheeting line mod (or swivel cleat) and holding off on the furling line work, until you have experienced it for yourself..

the Spinlock swivel cleat has worked ok for me so far

CC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty cool. Will have to price one out.

I forgot to mention how well the extreme angle fairlead was working on the Waikiki run. Pretty much flawless from any position I rode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aloha Kakou! It's been a good summer, and the TI3 Crew managed to squeeze in a few pleasure sails, between our trips to the mainland. We even accommodated some large family excursions. The extra seating was perfect for this.

We just experienced a rare month of NO WIND, but are about saddle up again. 15-25 mph trades are just around the corner and the whales are back!

I took this down time to repair this thread and meticulously replace ALL the missing photos in the TI3 and HAKA threads. (Due to Apple's lack of commitment to their customers). I was thrilled to repost the Tiki Bar/Tsunami story and details of some of the cool TI3 upgrades.

I hope everyone enjoys this. Thanks to all the readers who hounded me to get this done.

A Hui Hou!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good fix of a great thread!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, but it's a lot of propaganda work for just one guy.

I'm hoping someone will post details here soon about a sister-ship. Maybe dune-colored? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI3 DOWNWIND RUN – HAWAII KAI TO AIRPORT

Aloha Hobie Junkies!

It’s been too long since I posted one of our TI3 Hui’s aqua-adventures, but there have been many. We’ve sailed in old cane fields, raced in flat water, soaked moms and their kids, tempted big wind and had several excellent runs along Diamond Head and Waikiki. I’ve assembled hours of cool GoPro footage, all of which helps us document our antics and illustrate the TI3’s unique functionality.

But this trip was special, cuz we have been planning it for over a year.

So, in this installment, we take the Hobie TI3 on a full-speed, downwind surfing run from Hawaii Kai to Sand Island. A 3+ hour opportunity to do nothing but surf, with the wind and waves at our back.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In March, 2014, conditions were excellent: sunny with 20+ mph easterly trades and 2-4 ft bump. Gale force winds were on the way. Capt Gurr and I were stoked and ready.

Batman kindly agreed to be our shuttle driver and cabana boy.

For you “deckhands” on the forum, the “TI3” is a modified Hobie Tandem Island, with an extra set of Akas which provide seating for the pilot in the rear position. The boat is usually assembled with 4 Haka benches, which create a wraparound deck, (very handy for hiking out, fishing, and moving the crew weight back while surfing).

Our upwind launch site was the Hawaii Kai Boat and canoe beach. Don’t think “Bikinis and Maitais” – it’s a hot, trashy, rocky area, mostly used by fisherman and jetski operations. I’ve launched my AI there at low tide (right where the google guy is standing) and trashed my Mirage drive.

Today, we trailered the TI3 and used the ramp. (I don’t want to talk about what happened right after putting her in… :roll: )

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At 9am, the wind was up already. (Across the road there was a large carnival set up that had to be shut down that evening, when 40-60 mph gusts whipped around the leeward slopes).

Sliding out on our Hakas, and “reaching” out of the long channel, we cruised by a commercial operation where you can rent a jetski – or fly a real “jetpak” out of the water…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2rxEqrp2u4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After winding our way past endless channel markers, we finally beat upwind through open swells (4-5’ this day) in the direction of Hanauma Bay, the world famous marine refuge.

Go snorkel there if you ever get the chance (and tell “Aunty BJ” at the dive rental counter that NOHUHU sent ya!)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would have taken over 30 minutes (and a kidney belt) to make it to Hanauma in these conditions. Our real goal was to head offshore a couple miles, so that our downwind surfing angle would head us toward the coast, rather than out to sea.

And so, we turned downwind and rode the waves

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This 16 mile trip around Diamond Head and Waikiki is a true pleasure, and not just because of the scenery. Riding the nonstop rollers, we averaged about 6 mph (including stops) and regularly reached 11-12 mph before stuffing the bow. Relaxing and fun at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even on the TI3, downwind sleigh rides are very wet, with lots of submarining. The experience of constant bow diving and loss of speed potential leaves you frustrated about the shape of the TI hull and its other limitations, (like its lack of foresail options).

Hawaiian outrigger sailing canoes are designed perfectly for these conditions, and would reach speeds of 20 mph, racing over (rather than plowing through) the waves.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w39 ... CN4142.jpg

Well, at least we had the Hakas!

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun May 04, 2014 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before we knew it, we were getting close to the iconic “Diamond Head” (Le'ahi), an extinct volcanic cone (so far). The wind, swells and reefs here funnel to create some dramatic moments. Frequently, squall conditions.

It’s a miracle that we didn’t break a rudder or pin on this trip. It’s a common occurrence here.

But the only turn we needed to make this day was a quick port tack at the crater.

Then it was a straight shot, past Waikiki and Honolulu all the way to the Honolulu International Airport. Our destination, Sand Island’s Keehi Lagoon.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happily, we had the water all to ourselves, until we rounded Diamond Head and encountered the sightseeing cats, dive boats and even submarines buzzing Waikiki.

We stopped for a snack on the Hakas and a quick dip in shallow green waters. It was the tail of whale season here in Hawaii, and being spoiled, we were a little deflated that none were sighted on this run.

The rest of our cruise was a quick and stable broad reach, riding the waves till we arrived at the busy Sand Island Channel. There we had to beat and pedal directly upwind to reach the canoe beach, where Batman was snoring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next