Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
Slaughter wrote:
I don't know if you noticed or not but in summer65's video he had the rear upright fixed in some way rather than pivoted and the whole post looked like a huge banana. Poor old summer was oblivious to it all cause he was nice and comfy, smiling and waving from his new hammock.

Yeah, Phil had his T's pre-fixed to the crossbars with hose clamps.

The release buttons on the V2 crossbar really don't allow rotation so I guess the V1 crossbars are superior for the hammock construction.
This ends up being a case of newer isn't better.
Still want V2 bars for my 2010 hull
But I also wanted to use the forward hammock PVC support as "bow spit" for the jib but the lack of rotation ended that idea rather quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still waiting for a thread about that jib.

Now if you could figure out how to sail that rig from the hammock,.. the ultimate ride!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The only thing that would roll better is the Imperial Roller or as originally posted the Bat Cart.
I only pull the kayak on dry loose sand past the high water mark or the base of the dune line. On water packed sand and bike paths, it is walk along side the nose with the occasional pull on the handle.
All I need is a way to steer and this would be a fun ride down a hill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still working on the jib. The first was very boiler plate and proved that fusion engineering's stay reinforced system is the only proven safe way to date.
What I need is
1.) main sail needs to roll.
2.) have other stuff on top of the mast.
3.) need to lower the mast while underway.
I can't use his system and what I did fails #2 and jammed 3 times. Initial success was dumb luck. Its minor but the last time I lost a glove in the process. I don't like to loose equipment and really don't like failure... so have gone back to the drawing board.
I have a feeling that Hobie hasn't released their jib for good reason but I still have the attitude of how hard can it be.

Having the jib out or at the ready with the hammock up is a recent thought. Never know when you need to get going and can't tear down, not like I would out run anyone but it shows a willingness to leave if caught sleeping where unwelcome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I think he means "height adjusted" so that the scuppers don't bare the brunt of the load. There should be 3 points of contact, and the blue noodle should take 1/3 or more of the total weight. (Too much - as with a TI, and the rod will snap)

No -the opposite in fact. The scuppers should bear all of the load on an AI. If any part of the hull bottom is loaded it will dent. A TI being so heavy can have problems so the hull should be more evenly supported - hence Hobie's new cradle cart. I am using a webbing strap on my modified Trax 2 TI cart.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34910
The worst thing about the scupper cart is getting it back in after sailing. I have nearly finished a cradle type cart similar to sEs's (and now Hobie's new cart) which should make this easier.
The tennis balls spread the load evenly around the scupper tube base (which is the strongest part of the hull). I have wheeled both my AI and TI long distances and have had no problems. I am using half a tennis ball with half a sponge rubber ball inside it.
The three point rule is explained in a bit more detail here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38015&p=155216

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Hmmm. The hammock is rated at 300 lb static load. One average male plus one average female in the hammock would weigh about 240 lb to begin with (assuming Slaughter is envisaging only one female). Add a few impact forces and you would be seriously stressing the hammock.
I've never glued my T's on. The forces are all compressive anyway. Also never had a problem with the T's sliding sideways, though I admit I've never stressed them as errrr vigorously as Slaughter is suggesting.
Fly4v really has the best of both worlds now. A hammock to "sleep" in and benches to party on.

When it's time to make some waves, this is where he'll want to be: :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aHLk5t6pU[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
When it's time to make some waves, this is where he'll want to be: :wink:

The back of your truck? :?:

Don't know how soon it is going to happen but half tramps are coming. They will have grommets to tie up to the benches so no sagging wet bottoms like the stock tramps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys amaze me. Yogur ideas go a while forward. GreAt work! Thanks for sharing them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hay Cavendish,

Glad you like it but it is no where near as good as your turtle rescue video.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Found a cheep way to fix the Hobie tramps after the buckles fail.

Target has large dog collars for $5 that are about the right size. Just need to cut the steel D ring off and then install on the fiberglass rod.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did Stringy's tennis ball mod to the Hobie cart. Not only did it support the kayak better, it made a big improvement pulling it.
The mod didn't last long one tennis ball burst. :?
The balls were no name brand that was on the shelf at a trading post so it was that or nothing.
But it goes to show the concentration of force on the scupper cart even with a second cart under then nose when going over dunes and deep sand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been using red bungees for tie downs in the aft cargo area and barber haulers.
Tried NOHUHU's adjustable bungee idea for the barber hauler. Great tip.

Not only is the bungee adjustable for better control over the sail but the hooks have clips.
Keeps you from firing a bungee broadside when releasing the sheet.

Edit: reposted photo

Last edited by Fly4v on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kind of bottom feeding on this one. It appears in prior photos as a bit of rasta colors on my seat.

It is a Dakine lease that I got for $2, use it to clip the Hobie water bottle to my seat.
Good for keeping my drink, out of the drink.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You run a tight ship there my friend. 8)

Thanks for the K9 collar tip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v wrote:
Did Stringy's tennis ball mod to the Hobie cart. Not only did it support the kayak better, it made a big improvement pulling it.
The mod didn't last long one tennis ball burst. :?

Fly4v,
The original idea to use tennis balls came from Roadrunner. I still reckon it's one of the best ever mods found on these forums. It has enabled me to wheel my kayaks hundreds of km's each year without problems.
More info here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14028
I've found the best combination is to use half a tennis ball (best durability) over a half or whole rubber ball (best suspension).

AI Trax1 cart

TI modded Trax2 cart

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next