ZIPSILVER HOBIE COMPASS INSTALLOBJECTIVE:
Install a Quality Compass while minimizing potential for failure due to stresses.COMPASS USED:
RITCHIE V-527 KAYAKER BULKHEAD MOUNTAPPLICATION:
Hobie Tandem Island Rear
The compass comes with small screws but I wasn’t comfortable just screwing it to the hull. Over time flexing and pressure such as accidentally stepping on it would loosen the screws, strip the plastic, and leave a potential large open hole into the hull while offshore. My arm isn’t long enough to access the backside to attach washer, lock washer and nut/wingnut.
I fabricated a back plate with from acrylic plastic and used the same 3” Hole Saw blade to cut the hull hole and then the back plate hole. This delivers the ability to tighten much firmer without stripping plastic and can be removed easily for servicing if needed.
1. Drilled Hole in Hull with 3” Hole Saw
2. Drilled Hole in Back Plate with 3” Hole Saw
3. Placed Compass in Back Plate Hole
4. Drilled 1st bolt hole & placed bolt in it
5. Drilled 2nd bolt hole & placed bolt in it , (repeat for corners 3 & 4)
6. Traced outline on back plate then rough trimmed to shape with a mini circular saw
7. Placed compass in back plate and installed all 4 bolts, washers, lock washers and wing nuts.
8. Applied 5 Minute Epoxy all around the bolts to lock them in place and let cure 24hrs.
9. Placed Compass in Hole in hull, leveled, drilled 1st Bolt hole in Hull through the Compass as template & placed Bolt in it.
10. Drilled 2nd hole through compass as template and inserted bolt, repeated for #3 & #4.
11. Very important to use this method as holes must be perfectly aligned to be able to engage nut on backside / no access.
12. Fed a string through Hole in hull up to Forward hatch, tied it to back plate, then pulled back plate to back side of hole.
13. Inserted bolts through kayak into template to align then Duct taped all 4 sides internally to temporarily hold in place.
14. Installed Gasket on Compass and inserted bolts and tightened down firmly. Printable PDF Link: (with images)https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... file%2cpdf