Picked up my Adventure Island last week, and after just one sail I decided that I wanted to mod the sail controls to be more suitable for me as I'd grown used to the outback with the port side furler. I hadn't really seen a mod as simple as this for port furling controls (seen a few complicated ones...) so I thought I'd post this up for anyone else who wants to try this. Its really neat, simple and effective.
Apart from regular hand tools, the only materials I ended up needing were as follows:
9/64 Drill bit, very specific but it MUST be that size
Four new screws, 1 1/2" long 8/32 thread and washers/nuts to suit (for installing cleats, the original screws are too short)
Harken 29mm cheek block (conveniently I had one already located on my outback)
First step first, remove the two cleats from the RHS aka bracket and put them somewhere safe. Keep the curved spacer that was under the main sheet cleat; this will now be used to keep the pulley tight and flat on the aka support bracket. Position the Pulley on the curved spacer and put it between the left side aka mount bracket and the end trim, get it nice and square and drill one hole to 9/64. Take the block away and tap that hole with the 8/32 tap.
Using one of the original cleat screws, screw down the block in this hole gently, then accurately line up your block for the next hole. These holes must be VERY accurate, if not you risk the screws not doing up together. Drill and tap the other hole, and screw the block down using thread locker. Don't go too tight, you don't want to strip threads. You'll also need to cut your screws shorter so they aren't protruding and rubbing on the aka attachment. Once the pulley is installed, the line goes really nicely on and off of the furler drum.
Next step is to move the cleats to the gunwales on the left and right sides, just in front of the mesh pockets. Drill and screw down using the longer bolts, its easy as that. Again, use the 9/64 drill as the screws will cut a nice thread and improve sealing and grip to the hull additional to the nuts grip. If you get lucky like I did, the bolts touch the inner guide tube for the rudder control cables and don't touch the cables at all.
I also replaced the furler line with the rope that came with the outbacks sail kit. Much better rope.
All up I think the mod is fantastic and seeing as it would cost less than $30 bucks I think its well worth it if you like a control line on either side like I do. Yes the left cleat is a bit harder to lock being on a bit of an angle but having said that I think its a good thing cause the furling line doesn't lock itself up in the cleat when pulling hard on the main sheet, and vice versa. When either rope is dangling it can be easily placed in a pocket. Its a good simple system and I hope you all enjoy my modification that cleans up the cockpit greatly, as you can see below.
Thanks for reading,