Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to get this out of the way first.. I unfortunately do not have a Lowrance ready model.

This idea just came to me and was wondering if anyone ever thought of mounting a fish finder transducer in the cassette plug? It seems this would put the transducer in the water giving the best possible signal and temp readings. It would also be easily removable when you needed to use the mirage drive. For people who use Tandems solo this seems like it would be a perfect alternative to mounting inside the hull. In my case I am never solo but for the most part I try to use the sail and/or make my girlfriend peddle, lol.

Just brainstorming here as I plan to upgrade my finder and was looking to get it in the water.
By the way, I am torn trying to pick a new finder but will make a new thread for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming you like sitting in the rear seat, solo, as I do, it's a long run with the transducer cable from where you sit. I like the FF right next to me in the cup holder with a railblaza setup. Not a bad idea though and gives me food for thought, I was using a thru hull setup. Also I use a downrigger out on the amas but having the transducer so far forward may not be ideal for seeing the ball.

I'm thinking of using this lowrance transducer mount (http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/detail ... egory_id=0) in one of my scupper holes right behind my seat. Pros are that it would probably pick up my downrigger ball and it would never be in the way of the cart or trailer or drag on something. Downside would be that it would be in the way of a live well, if one was inclined to have one back there. For me it would be to much weight back there anyways with my motor mounted in the rear. Think I may DIY a live well for the front seat area of the TI or out over the akas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The transducer cable is usually very long because it's designed for installing on the transom so it should be more than long enough to reach the front mirage drive well. I'm not sure about it being too far forward as I tend to use mine mainly for depth as I am not very good at actually finding fish with it, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, it's not the cable length itself that worries me with your idea. It's the clutter it would bring having a cable running forward on top of the kayak, getting kicked and stepped on at times (especially with a passenger). I like to keep the cockpit area as clear as possible for bringing in fish and boat operation. The more I think of it, it wouldn't work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the reverse on my TI, as I sit up front, with my Fishfinder in front of the centreboard lever, while I use the Lowrance transducer scupper mount in one of the rearmost scuppers. I used this for two reasons.. it is out of the way, and doesn't even interfere with my trailer.

As for the wiring, Hobie's excellent through-hull kit makes it really easy to send the wiring into the hull next to the transducer, and resurfacing next to the head unit. The transducer, while not as flush as with a Lowrance-ready hull, fits neatly in the groove under the hull.

I wouldn't bother fitting as transducer in the drive plug, far better to have a "set-and-forget installation IMHO

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice. I may try using the Lowrance scupper kit since you confirmed that it won't interfere with the loading and unloading from the trailer. I just bought a Hook7 to replace my HDI-4 so pretty excited to get out there on the water. Of course here in MD it feels like we skipped summer this year and went straight to fall.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you do use the Lowrance transducer mount you can get it much cheaper on Amazon. I don't like the bad reviews on it being skimpy so I would suggest a DIY approach making you own, such as done here on this thread forum posts #4 & #7.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... pper+mount

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered it from Amazon before I saw your reply. It was $40 but of course dropped $5 the next day. Either way I installed it yesterday but will have to wait for the weather to finally warm up to test it out on the water. It does stick down a considerable amount so I will have to be more careful when beaching to keep the rear in the water. I usually anchor a bit from shore anyway to save the kayak getting constantly pounded by waves. I am talking about the Chesapeake bay here so the waves are small but still beat up the boat pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay Chuck, definitely keep us updated on how it performs. You may do like I do when beach landing, install the wheels first on the water. That way you will ensure not having the transducer dragging on the bottom.