Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Purchased a set of AI crossbars (version 2) to install onto my recently acquired Adventure. The goal is to allow me the option to provision my TI's akas, amas and tramps when I wish to run my Adventure as a light weight outrigger setup. By installing the rear crossbar about 2.5 inches forward, I can match the distance between crossbars with that of my TI's.

So far so good with the test fitting in the above pic. More details to follow...

Aloha,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool. Another "Hapa".

You plan to paddle for fun, or just slowing down so your pals can keep up?

(cheaper this way, rather than buying them AIs) ;-)

Curious how she tracks and if you will need a larger rudder to turn smoothly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very Nice!

Are you going to install one of the larger mast receivers or keep the small kayak sail receiver?

If you want to try the smaller sail, and have it roll toss three airsoft BBs in the receiver before installing your sail. The 6mm resin balls make a good and cheep substitute for a bearing plate to decide if you like roller reefing on you small sail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

Yes! Another “Hapa.” Just in case Batman needs a backup :)

The project has been feasible so far. Purchased a used Adventure from P&P who later helped me order the version 2 cross bars and aka brace ball connectors. I’ll list the parts and supplies when I’m done.

It’ll be more for my quick paddling/pedaling workout runs. Lots of swells on the side of the island I live on so working the boat like a surfski can be fun. A single ama will help keep me upright especially when the swells come from different directions which I experienced recently while out with an ama-less Adventure. :shock: More so, the large TI ama can provide addition load capacity just in case I need to haul a big fish back to shore. :mrgreen:

I liked running my TI as an OC-1 and so I wanted to somewhat duplicate it using my Adventure hull. My TI tracked well in this configuration but unsure what the effect will be having a smaller hull and rudder relative to a larger ama. I’ll try to be as precise as possible with aligning the ama and plan to test it out in Hilo Bay’s flat water.

Fly,

Thanks for the great idea of using air soft BB’s. I plan to keep the existing mast receiver and purchase a small sail kit later that I can stow away. But having the AI’s front crossbar bearing plate gives me the possible option of installing an AI mast receiver. Who knows? Thinking out loud - if the AI mast receiver’s diameter can fit a TI’s mast, an adapter could possibly be fabricated to make it work. But an 18' mast has the potential to break stuff not designed to support the additional stress...

It’s raining cats and dogs out here in Hilo, Hi – more than usual :P Good time to work on projects in the garage.

Aloha,

Cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All this time I have yet to run the AI in OC-1 mode. Have meant to. I do like surfing under sail though.

Would be interested to hear how how the tramps effect things. I imagine they would be a liability when running with the swells as you intend.

While on the WW side of the boat, there's nothing to keep you from a huli if they are lifted by wind and waves at the same time.

Its never going to fly like a 30 lb waveski but your Hapa should be fun. Take some video on a run if you can. All of us in the batcave will be watching. ;-)

Imua!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Had a chance to work on the Hapa OA-1 this weekend. Here’s the parts list:

Used 2011 Adventure hull.
79512601 X BAR AI V2 - FWD (For AI but will be adapting my TI's akas and amas)
79512701 X BAR AI V2 – REAR (For AI but will be adapting my TI's akas and amas)

79525001 BALL / BRACE (qty 2)
8030212 SCREW (qty (2), (Replaced with longer versions and so wasn’t needed).

From TI's parts list but I think they're the same as the 2010/2011 AI's.
79510721 X BAR CLAMP TOP (qty 4)
79510731 X BAR CLAMP BOTTOM (qty 4)
8032088 SCREW (qty 8 ), (Replaced 2 of 8 with longer SS screw for forward attachment of clamp. So all you need is qty 6)
8080561 WASHER (qty 8 )

Using two pieces of scrap wood between the akas to help measure, the distance between aka’s on my TI was about 54 15/16” +- 1/8”.

Installing the front xbar was straight forward since I was able to utilize the embedded forward xbar mounting hardware as is.

However to match the distance between the xbars on my TI, I mounted the rear xbar a few inches forward. Luckily I was able to use the forward embedded rear xbar mounting hardware to mount rear of the xbar clamp. But I had to drill a hole just above the built-in cleat to mount the front of the xbar clamp. I used a ¼” x 3” screw, 1 ¼” fender washer, and a matching nylon lock nut as a fastener. While tightening the lock nut, the fender washer bent and wedged itself between the cleat and rail cavity for a secure hold. And later filled cavity with silicone sealant.

The aka ball brace was installed 9 5/8” (center to center) behind the unused embedded rear xbar mount. I replaced the screw with a longer ¼” x 2” screw, 1” fender washer, and matching nylon lock nut - sealed with silicone adhesive.

Before

And After

So far so good. Waiting for the weather to clear up so that I can test…

Aloha,
Cliffs2yak