Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the update Stringy. Personally I think it looks in proportion(-ish) to the hull. I'd love to see it in full flight.

Great mod.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I'd love to see it in full flight.

Great mod.

Thanks mate...and so would I!
Aagh...so much to do and so little time. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, your initial post ended with "much more to come...", so personally, I've been waiting for your further reports. I've found the large rudder a bit more of a hassle when transporting, but not that bad when you get used to it and very worthwhile if you're using the AI in sailing mode, even with the regular sail.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you're right Chris. I was initially very excited that the TI mast/sail combo worked OK but then TI sailing took priority again.
It also took forever to get the upgraded TI socket screw from Hobie. There was a parts mixup and they were on backorder. I didn't want to do too much testing without replacing it.
Re the rudder - I store the AI above the TI on the trailer and I slide the AI hull on/off from the front of the trailer twice each week. It's another reason I've been reluctant to instal the vertical rudder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a heck of a mod for the AI, Stringy! I do worry about the stresses it may put on your "ordinary" AI.

stringy wrote:
I first posted this nearly a year ago and had one response… Nohuhu’s aussie encouragement. I’m not sure of why the sudden amount of interest lately...

Upgrade anyone?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Refresh me,.. can you unfurl all the way now? Complications? Sailshape? Headroom?

I'm hankerin to see sideview shots with the TI sail fully deployed. Would be awesome.

I can't do this on mine. It's a hybrid hull, like yours, but has the original male-pinned sail base. Maybe I can get Batman to do this on his ride. :twisted:

Anyway, it's not a fair test yet without the new rudder and some wind. Good luck. We'll be watching.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Refresh me,.. can you unfurl all the way now? Complications? Sailshape? Headroom?
I'm hankerin to see sideview shots with the TI sail fully deployed. Would be awesome.

I haven't got any good side on pics yet... but I will.
In answer to your guestions:
Unfurl?-Yes all the way
Complications? A couple:
-building up the mast drum with plastic film to fit the AI and then having to remove it for the TI
-the furling line looks funny wrapped around the mast but it works OK,
Sailshape? Normal as far as I can tell,
Headroom? Plenty

Chekika wrote:
That is a heck of a mod for the AI, Stringy! I do worry about the stresses it may put on your "ordinary" AI.
Keith

I look at it this way Keith. The AI was designed by Hobie to handle the energy from a certain wind strength. Now I don't know what that is but experience tells me to start furling the sail at around 20knots. There is a margin for error built in as I've been hit by 30 knot gusts with the sail fully out and have had no damage.
With this larger sail I was aiming for better performance in lighter winds. With nearly twice the sail area it should be OK to have all the TI sail out in 10-15knots and not exceed the design specs.
The risk is getting hit by a gust above 15knots and having all the sail out but if I sail with care in those conditions, furl early and release the sheet if needed, I'm hoping it will be OK.

Now I'm no engineer and I'm willing to be corrected if my thinking above is flawed! :wink:

Last edited by stringy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here you go Nohuhu. I took some pics just after I got back from my kayak commute:
I guess the sheet angle isn't ideal but it works. The foot of the sail could be a little tighter when close hauled but I don't think that's a real issue.

There is 90cm of clearance from the sail to the seat plugs.

Furling drum build up with plastic film type tape

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Freakin Awesome! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome mod, looks very natural! Took me a while to find this thread, I've been very curious about doing this myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:

Well, winter's finally found it's way to SouthEastern PA...... and now I am back to obsessing about sail size....

Same as you: more power for light air, no concern for top speed, just expect to reef earlier....

Seems like the path of least resistance is what you have done and hopefully yours is still holding up.

Any recollection of how much you paid for the mast + sail + necessary hardware ?

I've been trying to find a mast price, but no luck yet.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:

Any recollection of how much you paid for the mast + sail + necessary hardware ?

I've been trying to find a mast price, but no luck yet.

I had to pay top dollar Pete, but it did come with a TI hull, ama, aka and all the usual extras! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I had to pay top dollar Pete, but it did come with a TI hull, ama, aka and all the usual extras! :wink:

Did the sail CE change and affect the helm ?

Sailed yesterday in some pretty decent wind: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 0843446050

60+ degrees F, Mid-January..... today it's in the low thirties.... Go figure....

Discovered that the advice to sail without the cam cleat in gusty conditions wasn't so far-fetched. Initially I had rejected it out-of-hand, figuring my hands could not take it.

But with 5/16" line and 3:1 it was totally doable. Sometimes a two-handed sheet-in, but always a comfortable on-handed hold.

I'm going to try it in light-to-moderate air using the daggerboard knob as a post cleat when I want to scratch my nose or something - and maybe cleat-less will become my SOP.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]