Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inflatable SUP for Haka
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After several years lurking here, I finally bought an AI Classic; an early 2010 model manufactured late in '09. I've already bought my first accessory, too - an inflatable SUP to use as an haka:
It packs down in that gray duffel, and, as you can see, a SUP paddle fits in the paddle holder better than a kayak paddle. (It looks like the mold was designed for a plain Adventure and the addition of the akas interferes slightly with the paddle shaft.)

When pedaling or sailing from the vaka, it makes a nice rest to lean against.

I thought I would have to get a frame underneath to keep it from sagging, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's stiff enough to stand on and paddle with no issues. Didn't have a selfie stick long enough to get a shot of that! It was light wind today, so I can't comment on how much air it catches, but I'm guessing a lot.

I'm going to experiment with setting a tarp up over it as a sleeping platform, and if you had to moor offshore, you could even use it as a tender!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice. Put something like this on top and your living on board!

http://cdn1.backcountrygear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/e/o/eos_1p.jpg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

is it easy to deflate? i should be scared with this with wind stronger than 10 knots. the shape and material are the best to produce a sail effect and capsize.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sardinian Islander wrote:
is it easy to deflate?

It deflates easily, but rolling it up is more challenging. It could potentially be done from the AI without getting wet, but I haven't tried it. I think deflated but still tied to the akas would have even greater sail effect. The best countermeasure would be hiking out on the board. I'm definitely getting a tiller extension!

In <5 knots, standing toward the edge of the board, the ama was almost submerged. I could still make way under sail on a reach, but less than pedaling speed. I'm about 160 lbs. and the board is just under 30, which seems in line with what others have stated for the buoyancy of the amas.

I got a longer, wider board since I also plan to use it stand alone for fishing and wanted a stable platform. This one happened to come up for sale on REI. If you're smaller than me, or don't need the stability of the board on its own, a smaller board would work. Hobie's 8' Day Trip Air looks like an interesting option, especially if it could be strapped down with the side chambers deflated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I knew it would happen--the hakas are finally bigger than the Island!!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon