Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a windpaddle for sale (large size yellow) for sale in Norcal if anyone wants to add it to their downwind arsenal. http://www.windpaddle.com/cruiser_sail.htm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CaptnChaos wrote:
Sorry about that John. This is an older thread and that jib video showed an earlier inferior attempt so I disabled those videos to not misdirect those who are trying to come up with a jib on their islands.

For awhile I was using a Hobie kayak sail (from I14T) as the jib and it worked ok especially in downwind but not the greatest overall as a jib. It was fun but not that much better performance wise. In fact it may have even slowed me down in some situations unfortunately.

So the current version has gone back to using one of my earlier jib sails re-sewn with a better shape and to allow a PVC pole to go through the luft/leading edge to hold it's shape better. Especially when furled. The PVC pipe keeps it from being a lumpy inefficient mess when furling. It seems to work pretty good now.

Currently the whole system has been removed from the AI so I can't take any current pictures. The following pictures show the furling system and show the inexpensive ($80) ronstan furler on the bow frame as well as the mast topper which is what allows independent mainsail furling as well as jib furling. There are several cleats mounted to my haka extensions (not shown) that I cleat the jib sheets to.

How have attached the front of the frame to the bow?

Do you have a rough dimensions of your current jib?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

John_h wrote:
How have attached the front of the frame to the bow?

Do you have a rough dimensions of your current jib?

Something like this miniature stainless D shackle is how the frame loosely attaches to the bow
I wouldn't recommend copying my jib dimensions. It's just what I had available which may or may not be the best efficiency.