Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wet behind, sitting in a puddle in the Adventure Islander?

Was browsing at a West Marine store & saw a Attwood Marine Corp. 'centric saltwater folding seat' & took one home to try on my Adventure Island. Molded plastic seat with snap off saltwater upholstery, white or camo color.

So... here goes: Took the AI seat out and the folding Attwood seat, with a rounded molded plastic bottom, fit like a glove into the AI seat recess, just drop it in, no mods necessary. Went out for a sail. VERY comfy with padded backrest, experience was dry and water drained out below easily in light wind then on bigger waves later. Of course some water sprayed on the seat but it did not pool there. It was also easier to peddle the Mirage drive because u sit up straighter another 3 or 4 inches or so & peddle more downward.

You can easily strap or bungee the seat 'waist' to the aka bar behind it if desired, or just drop the seat in.
The seat is narrow enough so it does not interfere with the steering lever and it barely overlaps the hatch in front of it but you can tilt the seat up slightly while sitting on it and no problem there either. I don't see any problems with the seat at all other than the price, but it's a quality, most comfortable, seat that seems just made for the AI @ about $200.

Problem solved.

Perhaps Hobie could work out a deal with Attwood to provide the seat or mold one like it for the AI?

Here's the seat:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... upholstery

Last edited by wightcap on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great find! i may just have to see how this fits in the TI. Amazon has them for $163.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any pics of that seat on your AI Wightcap?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have some pictures, cannot seem to upload....how to?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wightcap—Hobie Forums do not “host” images, so you must first store your images on an “image (picture) hosting site.” Many people use Photobucket.com which provides fairly generous free storage to place your pictures. I've given detailed, step-by-step instructions at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=237495#p237495 Scroll down to "Including Pictures (Images) in Your Hobie Forum Post."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein