Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, do you change the use of the Dagger with your multi-sail rig?

You still have the stock vertical rudder, I believe. How does it react to the optional sails?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU:
I always have my center board (dagger) down, without it the boat is a bear to steer, I forgot to mention it earlier but when I'm sailing really close hauled almost straight into the wind I have to keep on pedaling to keep the boat from rounding up into the wind and stalling. I'm always pedaling from force of habit whenever I'm out sailing anyway (also my excercise thing).
I've had all the big sails on my TI's for a long time now, with the original twist and stow rudder it was definately not enough rudder to support all the extra sail area. However with the new standard rudder everything works great, there is finally enough rudder to control the boat even with extra sail area.
I notice when I am sailing near other TI's, they all tend to keep their mainsail out too far (showing too much sail), where I start to reef much earlier, and try to trim the sail so I can keep the rudder neutral, and keep the AMA's from burying.
One other thing I have noticed is when sailing in higher winds ( >12mph) you normally wouldn't need the jib any longer.
However I noticed in higher winds that with the mainsail reefed in a turn or two, if I then unfurl the jib about halfway out it seems to help direct the wind over the mainsail and I accelerate 1-2 mph faster, yet I still have good control over the boat, I can also point a little closer to the wind. It just seems to work, so I do it.
I tend to only use my big spinnaker for down wind, and typically furl all the other sails when I'm using it so it's typically not a factor in rudder control, but boy is it a lot of fun (a highly recommended option).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting comments Fusioneng. I'd like to see some piccies of your jib set-up if you can manage it old son. Any system where the main can be furled while flying the jib is where we of the head-sail clan want to be. I have one design from Capt'n Chaos which I am going to do when I can cure my gunna-do-itis (weather too hot and sticky here in Darwin to enthuse any-body at this time of year). Pulling away from shore and sailing into the shore is what I originally envisaged being an important function of my jib.
Cheers from Vintagereplica. If it works okay...modify it any way! (PS Gee whizz...I hope my favorite quote doesn't upset our friends in the Hobie design department!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vintagereplica:
There is an old thread showing all my mods. The Ultimate Tandem Island (Hydrofoils, Spinnaker, jib, etc ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720 ).
I went into great detail about all the designs, and there are many pics of my setup, and I go into great detail about each part of the design. I started with the 90 sq ft main sail, a 40 sq ft jib, and a 135 sq ft assemetric spinnaker (G2). Later on I cut the jib back to around 30 sq ft because the bigger jib was too much for the original twist and stow rudder. Recently the old jib which had around 2500 sailing miles on it finally wore out so I am using just a 22 sq ft standard hobie kayak sail until I get the new jib made, the new jib will be a 30 sq ft furlable wing sail, that I'm designing right now.
Captchaos ( Jim) lives near me, we go out together sometimes, he has sailed my setup. All my sails are furlable, and the boat is rigged to run single handed (solo).
I haven't made any changes at all in a very long time I use the boat most every weekend (weather permitting). The only additional changes I have planned are to convert all the sails to wing sails, and maybe add HAKAS.
If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
Bob