Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
A new AI would likely be more sail oriented and less all-around, so rod holders could go. You can always add them right?

OK, I'm interested now ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't fish, but I don't see why you would want the AI to be "less all-round", unless it led to a substantial improvement in its sailing ability. The AI's strength is its versatility. There are better fishing vessels and better sailboats and better kayaks, but nothing that combines it all so well in one package.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very well stated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do almost all of my fishing off kayaks. Yes there are much better fishing kayaks than the AI. That's why I have three kayaks including the AI.

I would happily give up rod holders on the AI that are only useful for rod storage for better sailing performance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would give up cup holders first, but really fail to see why that would be necessary. At all.

There's nothing on the AI now that doesn't belong there, especially rod holders.

It's a question of improving a few features, adding a few, and making them all more reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think we need a cuter Genie :o

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OOOF! :o Now THOSE cupholders have to go!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hoit wrote:
mmiller wrote:
A new AI would likely be more sail oriented and less all-around, so rod holders could go. You can always add them right?

OK, I'm interested now ...

At some point in development, it may be easier to take a Bravo and add a Mirage Drive!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Laukahi wrote:
At some point in development, it may be easier to take a Bravo and add a Mirage Drive!

The Bravo is a great single focused boat. Pretty fast compared to the Adventure Island, can easily fly a hull (which is a lot of fun) but not at all similar to the Adventure Island lifestyle.

The absolute best thing about the Adventure Island is it's ability to turn into a great kayak.

The Bravo actually moves in the tiniest breath of wind, I've never really wished for a mirage drive on it, but it's not an "Adventure" type of boat. You don't set out on long trips on it, you take it out when the wind is fun. The AI and TI are boats that you take out when the journey and destination are as much a part of the fun as the sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
The AI and TI are boats that you take out when the journey and destination are as much a part of the fun as the sailing.

Well said augaug.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure to be quoted in next years Hobie catalogue.

Make sure you get a free PDF or sumpthin for it. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I don't fish, but I don't see why you would want the AI to be "less all-round", unless it led to a substantial improvement in its sailing ability. The AI's strength is its versatility. There are better fishing vessels and better sailboats and better kayaks, but nothing that combines it all so well in one package.

Hear hear!

I would like to see flip up Cart wheels all controlled by a lever similar to the TI dagger board. :P

I envisage that the wheels would be wider than the hull and be attached somehow to the rear aka crossbar. When they are raised they would simply sit up clear of the water. Perhaps this has never been seriously considered because they might get in the way of the rod holders - in which case I would gladly trade the rod holders for a cart system that removes the necessity to insert, remove & store the cart. This is not a new request but I thought I should add it to the list.

Like many others, I agree that a better seat is way overdue _ particularly when I have seen an excellent seat in a competitors band of kayak that has a propeller. :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
I would like to see flip up Cart wheels all controlled by a lever similar to the TI dagger board.
mickeymouse wrote:
Like many others, I agree that a better seat is way overdue
The cart situation sounds interesting, but that would make things heavier. I don't want heavier. :)
The seat in the AI isn't a problem for me. Any type of Pro Angler style seat would raise the centre of gravity and make it less fun as a kayak. I wouldn't mind seeing an accessory luxury seat that could plug in for all those who want it, but I wouldn't want the added cost or complexity of a PA style seat for my personal usage. Keep me low, keep things simple, and I'm good there.

I do think that the strength of the AI is the versatility, and I agree with others that making any changes that reduce the versatility, but don't add significant sailing or kayaking abilities would be changes that I don't want to see made. For me, any changes that make the boat a better sailing craft, and a better kayak are great and if push came to shove, I would hope those two things took precedence above all else. The rest is gravy.

This thread just goes to show how difficult it's going to be to redesign a pretty impressive boat!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The cart situation sounds interesting, but that would make things heavier. I don't want heavier.
The seat in the AI isn't a problem for me. Any type of Pro Angler style seat would raise the centre of gravity and make it less fun as a kayak. I wouldn't mind seeing an accessory luxury seat that could plug in for all those who want it, but I wouldn't want the added cost or complexity of a PA style seat for my personal usage. Keep me low, keep things simple, and I'm good there.

I'm not so sure that the cart would need to be any heavier - particularly given that i have added a lot of water to my beach wheel cart to facilitate inserting it when in the water.

Similarly, the seat I have seen is incredibly light, comfortable and dryer than the current seat without significantly raising the centre of gravity. It is aluminium framed with a light, strong trampoline type material for the seat and folding backrest.
(I do have a magnificent "luxury" padded seat that not only sits high and dry, but adds a lot of weight.)

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have a piccie or two of this super lightweight webbing seat Mickymouse? Seems like it would be ideal as it wouldn'[t stay wet.Cheers Vintagereplica........ If it works okay...modify it anyway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next