Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
The rod holders fill up with water all the time. I rarely use mine and the caps aren't worth a hoot. The water accumulating in there adds unnecessary extra weight.
Pool noodle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

CaptnChaos wrote:
Matt, can I try one more wish since that one was so easy?

Sorry... One wish Genie.

Makes sense though. A new AI would likely be more sail oriented and less all-around, so rod holders could go. You can always add them right?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
A new AI would likely be more sail oriented and less all-around, ....

Boy, does that make sense.

Don't wait too long getting that "new AI" out. I'm not getting any younger--according to the calendar.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't like to miss the rod holders, even though I can add them on.
I use mine every single time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What would the elimination of the molded-in rod holders buy you? They're not in the way. They don't add any appreciable weight. There is at least some benefit to having them against none for not having them.

If I were to change the mold I'd raise the seat and rear tankwell bottoms by an inch. That would get you a tangible benefit for the effort involved.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All I said was it's a bad design with rod holders that fill up with water all the time because the caps are almost useless. The weight being all the water sitting in the rod holders Tom. My brain is in AI race mode and every ounce counts.

So since I used up my one wish I guess I'll go with the pool noodle idea NOHUHU :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
So since I used up my one wish I guess I'll go with the pool noodle idea NOHUHU :wink:
Yeah, low tech. Just my speed.

CaptnChaos wrote:
My brain is in AI race mode and every ounce counts.
Better jump back on the treadmill then, Capt! :lol:

Good luck - we'll be rooting for you at the Batcave. And looking forward to your latest secret weapon sail idea. (You'll need it if Jim shows up with a gennaker prototype).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Better jump back on the treadmill then, Capt! :lol:

Or maybe a Zoomba class :lol:
NOHUHU wrote:
Good luck - we'll be rooting for you at the Batcave. And looking forward to your latest secret weapon sail idea. (You'll need it if Jim shows up with a gennaker prototype).
Thanks to all in the Batcave NOHUHU !

And yes, I finally got my secret weapon perfected. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All the talk of secret weapons worries me.

Jim's (aka Penguinman) secret weapon is not the gennaker prototype. If I had a good looking gal on the back of my boat, I would not slow down either. Not macho to admit that you are tired and need a break...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know about the rod holder caps on the AI, but on the TI the caps should turned 180. Right now, they are setup now to flip back aft, so when I drive on the highway the flip open in the wind, and on the water they flip open and fill up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, time for an ancient Aussie to have a go. Hollgi certainly started a hotline with his version of the Everly Brothers Dream, dream, dream!
One thing that stands out with we AI/TI owners is that while we might dream about changing something on our craft, we invariably do, because we are all COMPULSIVE MODIFIERS!
Just about everything that has been brought up in this thread has been done by owner modification on the forum, in many cases brilliantly. So it is down to... IF YOU WANT IT NOW...just look up the appropriate thread and have a go at the ideas that best take your fancy.
In a lot of cases, Hobies intervention to formalise some of these 'wish list dreams' has been done. I don't think I have ever seen an outfit that listens to and responds to its customers as seriously as they do. It is perhaps due to the ingenious modifications we owners make, but Hobie are far from pig headed in saying that they are right and we are wrong, and I for one am glad to be associated with them through ownership of one of their products.
The first thing I wanted was to get my backside out of the 'bucket of water'. The second was a furlable jib. Ive been there...done that, along with several other mods. But I am waiting to buy when Hobie perfect it is a 'retro-fit' surfing nosecone for my 2009 AI. I hope MATT M if you read this, that in your capacity as chief distribution bloke, if and more hopefully, WHEN they do come out you let me know as I have great difficulty in dropping into my nearest and dearest Hobie dealer which is Binks Marine in Adelaide, just 1,500 miles down the road!
The one thing I cant change is the depth of the hull, I rather fancy the Pro series hull height and seat...and the amas on my AI.
We have high performance (read...bloody suicidal) catamarans in Aust called 'A CLASS' Cats. Their lastest design change seemed to turn the hulls inverted...razor sharp bows, very narrow hull on the top and almost flat and twice as wide underneath. Instead of the hulls slicing through the water they are planing which cuts down on drag. These blokes are almost as fast as those 'Blade Runner Moths' that ride up on hydrofoils (mostly sailed by trainee Kamakazi pilots).
Since I first got overtaken in a good sailing breeze at three to four times my speed, I have thought that perhaps flat bottommed amas are the way to go, not something that drags almost completly submerged even when hiking out.
Cheers from Vintagereplica If it works okay...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I asked Batman what he would like to see in an "improved AI/TI". As you know from his modification work, he's never short on suggestions. :roll: Such as:

1. "A Standard, reinforced flat-transom mount with four bolt pattern" just like the "real" Hobie sailboats. This would eliminate all our "rocking gudeon" issues and associated failures. And it would make it possible to ensure that the plate is fastened securely without pulling the rudder pin.
2. "a seaworthy rudder of your choice". Such as a 3rd party solution. (Nice option for the TI, I think).
3. "More rocker and a wave-friendly prow!" We'd like to to take these boats out into open water, and surf them with less worry.
4. And of course, "an optional jib" which would mount perfectly onto said bow. (OK, that's actually from MY wish list).

Let's get started with those ideas. After 6 years, it's time to evolve. :idea:
Don't' get me wrong - I love my AI, it's an quick, awesome, fun water toy. While the plastic rudder pins hold, that is. :wink:

But me and the boyz were getting a little bored waiting for the Hobie Genie to come out of the bottle, so over the long holiday weekend we got to work, building our own "Dream Island"...

It's not so hard - start with a "prowed" Hawaiian 3-man sailing canoe.

Add a couple 18ft Prindle anti-dive Amas, custom tramps,.. a 30ft mast...

Don't forget a pair of improved "Pop-up" rudders. Bam!, you're in business. Just gotta paint it all red

We're thinking of calling it the "Magic Island" - cuz it fulfills ALL our wishes. :wink:

She promises to be higher, drier, faster, point and surf better, carry more supermodels, and offer enhanced protection against any migrating humpback whales or icebergs.

Batman was cool enuff to watch our "old" boats on the beach, while we did a test run.

So far, the new ride is awesome! Just one problem. We're going to need a BIGGER trailer.

Uummm,..so Hobie - what did YOU build over this 3-day weekend? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
CaptnChaos wrote:
Matt, can I try one more wish since that one was so easy?

A new AI would likely be more sail oriented and less all-around...

I'd be all over that! Keep the mirage drive option though!

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

@nohuhu

Ha that's funny, are all this people included in the price?
Might need some help to get the new AI on the roof rack!
You also forgot the mirage drive...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hollgi wrote:
nohuhu,..
You also forgot the mirage drive...
Oh DAMM! That's right. :oops: And I used up all my wishes.

Bak to the drawing board...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next