Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vintagereplica wrote:
Do you have a piccie or two of this super lightweight webbing seat Mickymouse? Seems like it would be ideal as it wouldn'[t stay wet.Cheers Vintagereplica........ If it works okay...modify it anyway

It can be viewed on the manufacturers website but as it is a competitor's brand I don't think I can mention it here.
At this stage I would simply like to leave it to Hobie to address. :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now the next big thing I would like is 12v power - preferably generated by using the pedals - or at least using the pedals to assist in the power generation - which could be stored in a small battery. I would also like solar power.

The need for 12v power will become increasingly necessary if Hobie is to attract the next generation of tech-savvy nerds who could not possibly live without their iPads/iPhones/androids etc.

There are so many great apps available already that would enhance any Hobie expedition/camping type trip that it should be in the forward planning.
I realise that most/much of this may be available/possible as aftermarket accessories but I think it would be worthwhile considering these features as an integral part of the boat.

In the meantime, I would appreciate comments from anyone who can assist me in achieving access to 12v power on my AI/TI now! Maybe a new thread if there isn't already one.(guess I'd better check :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Now the next big thing I would like is 12v power - preferably generated by using the pedals - or at least using the pedals to assist in the power generation - which could be stored in a small battery. I would also like solar power.

This is interesting to me. I like the idea of having power available for some of my longer trips, but don't really need it on a quicker sail or just a trip out around the cottage or regular campsite.

The concern I have with the pedals generating power is that we'd be asking a sailboat company to engineer an electronic device. That seems kind of like ordering a striploin steak at McDonalds. It's not something that Hobie has shown expertise in doing, so how reliable will it be? You'd want to make sure Hobie contracts out, but then again, you're creating a device to work with a patented device (the mirage drive) which operates much differently than a bicycle pedal crank which always operates in the same direction and at a relatively constant speed.

Also, how much am I going to have to pedal to get the power I need? It might work well on a kayaking expedition, but on an AI, the pedaling is going to be much more sporadic. Adding complexity to a system, or a boat that I rely on for overnight trips in the wilderness concerns me. Often times the simpler that something is, the more reliable it is.

Solar is far more intriguing to me, (or an accessory wind generator). I'm one of those tech-savy nerds that you talk about. Why not take advantage of the sun while it's out, or the constant wind that is present while sailing? Many day sailors are using wind powered generators to store power for on-board use. But again, I'd want an accessory windmill generator that isn't hardwired into the boat. Something that I can quickly plug into the boat, or remove to use on a campsite.

I bought a great little solar system from a company called Goal Zero. It's basically a solar panel that charges 4 AA rechargeable batteries. It's fantastic. The battery pack has a USB output to charge a cell phone, camera, video camera or other similar device, and the rechargeable batteries can be popped into my GPS if need be. What I like about this system is that it doesn't add any complexity to the boat. I can take it with me on the boat, or if I stop to hike somewhere, it's light enough that it's not a problem to strap to a backpack and take with me there also. It can keep a SPOT powered if you're stuck somewhere, and it's portable and rugged.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Solar is far more intriguing to me, (or an accessory wind generator). I'm one of those tech-savy nerds that you talk about. Why not take advantage of the sun while it's out, or the constant wind that is present while sailing? Many day sailors are using wind powered generators to store power for on-board use. But again, I'd want an accessory windmill generator that isn't hardwired into the boat. Something that I can quickly plug into the boat, or remove to use on a campsite.

I bought a great little solar system from a company called Goal Zero. It's basically a solar panel that charges 4 AA rechargeable batteries. It's fantastic. The battery pack has a USB output to charge a cell phone, camera, video camera or other similar device, and the rechargeable batteries can be popped into my GPS if need be. What I like about this system is that it doesn't add any complexity to the boat. I can take it with me on the boat, or if I stop to hike somewhere, it's light enough that it's not a problem to strap to a backpack and take with me there also. It can keep a SPOT powered if you're stuck somewhere, and it's portable and rugged.

Augaug
All good info and thoughts. :)
I am now in the process of researching the various devices and technology that exists today to meet my power needs.
Goal Zero products look excellent, however at this stage I am confused by the variety available. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Goal Zero products look excellent, however at this stage I am confused by the variety available.
I totally understand that! I bought my kit at a trade show after talking to the rep for a good length of time. It's all about balancing your needs with your budget. I do get the feeling that Goal Zero has a bit of a track record. That was one thing that concerned me. The same trade show had a different battery pack system that they gave a 1 year warranty, but the company was only 4 months old. I didn't want to be their guinea pig, and the Goal Zero stuff fit my needs a little bit better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A built-in, retractable centerboard such as that on the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:

Yes!
Along with a built-in retractable launching cart for both AI & TI (ensuring the wheels are clear of the water.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:

Yes!
Along with a built-in retractable launching cart for both AI & TI (ensuring the wheels are clear of the water.)
Landing Gear! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:

Yes!
Landing Gear! :D

How cool would it be to just land, step out & tow the boat out without having to plug the cart in. 8)
Would also make for a very impressive launch :wink:
Hey Bob - are you thinking of paying us a visit anytime soon?
We are going to Europe - Sep to Nov. Otherwise we have no plans.
I guess our winter would not be the best time ......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Probably not this year. I'm just about finished painting my house and other than a quick, early trip to the mainland, I expect it to be a quiet year for me here in Hawaii, with hopefully lots of sailing. :)

I do need to get down there, while I can still move well (with the help of a few coffee's during the day and maybe a beer in the evening). I keep telling myself, I'm not getting older (or is it the mileage?), I'm getting better! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, KB, but that only works for awhile.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Probably not this year. I'm just about finished painting my house and other than a quick, early trip to the mainland, I expect it to be a quiet year for me here in Hawaii, with hopefully lots of sailing. :)

I do need to get down there, while I can still move well (with the help of a few coffee's during the day and maybe a beer in the evening). I keep telling myself, I'm not getting older (or is it the mileage?), I'm getting better! :roll:

We could book you in as an international celebrity guest for our local Hobie adventures early 2014 if you like. :mrgreen: I am sure that many other Aussie Hobie forum mates would want to extend to you the same hospitality. :D So you could enjoy Hobieing all over the country and enjoy our hospitality and local knowledge. :mrgreen:

Actually makes me think we should form some sort of Hodie Adventure International Friendship Organisation. :roll:

Beer and coffee not a problem. :wink:

I must apologise to everyone for getting off topic :oops:
But it's not a bad idea hey :P 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for it Bob, all you need is shorts, slippers and suitcase full of sprayskirts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Go for it Bob, all you need is shorts, slippers and suitcase full of sprayskirts. :mrgreen:

Hey yeah,
bring some sprayskirts over to West Australia and I will gladly take you out in my Tandem Island.

Anyway, I am prety hapy with the TI as it is except that there could be a few refinements.
Already mentioned would be a better seat,
drainage under the seat to keep the bum dry.

Storage has always been minimal on these craft so better more cleverly designed and practical storage would be nice.

Bigger access hatch openings would be great.

I have changed the mesh pockets to silicone rubber netting so that fishing hooks do not get stuck in the nylon mesh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice idea on the rubberized netting.

Speaking of those pockets, I would like to see much smaller drains on those pockets--small things drain out also & are lost.

Larger hatch openings?? Since NOHUHU has shown that the current round hatches are not leaking (IF you keep them clean, of course,) I'm more comfortable with them. The round center hatch on the AI is between your legs. You could increase its diameter by an inch (2-3 cm), but more than that might be problematic. Also, I suspect, the larger the hatch opening, the greater the tendency to leak. The front hatch being an excellent example.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next