Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New roll bars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New roll bars :mrgreen: high enough it doesnt affect sheet angle and the two top rod holders are high enough the sheet cant get to them....bottom two are long but theyr slotted to keep trigger style conventionals facing reel up....if fish pressure makes it difficult to release them ill slot them out and add restraints like a scotty but should be fine :mrgreen: come on summer time!!

-Jeff

Post subject: Re: New roll bars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very cool. I bet you've done this for your paddle yaks before? :wink: Out here in the islands, we're pretty DIY/PVC crazy too. You should see some of the rigs.!

You'll maybe want a little more elevation on those side rocket launchers. When the AI is sailing, it will dip hard to the leeward side. In any swell, your tips could bury if they are too low and too long.

Did you reinforce the critical joints with a couple screws after gluing? Man, I've seen really nice rods/reels go bye-bye due to failed joints. :oops: (And on that note, leash your fishing gear to your hull, not to the PVC!) :roll:

Jeff, thanks for giving back to the forum after lurking in the shadows so long,.. feed us more picts with tackle please!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Nohuhu! Glad i can give back to a forum thats given me so much great info!

I will definitly be reinforcing the joints thank you for bringing that up! I actually had that happen to me offshore, one of my old yaks had pvc hakas that connected amas to the back an i had one bust off on me :shock: :mrgreen: made it back ok tho haha

Its hard to tell from the pic but the bottom rocket launchers are angled forward and up....do you think about 2 ft above the amas is still too low? If so i might chop em and add T fittings to the end and angle them back and up

I think im gunna end up leashin everything to the back x bar

-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right, it's a little hard to tell.

If it's open water fishing then 30 degrees is usually as low as I go. You'll find that the boat leans at least half that under sail and the incoming 2+ foot swells can raise you further. The longer the rod, the more this matters.

Plus the rod tips will bend down while trolling biggies.

I think the lure action is better when the tips are closer to 45 degrees anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ill keep an eye on it hopefully i dont need to modify just put a coat of epoxy over the textured bedliner....this thing is tough as nails, no scatches for a long time hopefully....thanks again nohuhu

-Jeff