Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone tried an outboard mount on the AKA? I ask as I have seen the other versions people have made but I carry a "safety" box on the rear so mounting in the rear rod mount holes does not work for me.
CC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I seem to recall seeing an outboard mounted on the rear aka in one of Rudy's Youtube videos. I think he goes under Halibu77. You should be able to find it by searching under his name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a bad idea to me given the only thing holding the aka in the folded out position is a nylon shear bolt.

You might be able to fabricate a mount that will still allow you to carry your "safety box". Take a look at the pics in this post of the mount I made, I specifically wanted to leave the rear deck open: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=48081 It is for an Torqeedo Ultralight, but I don't see why you couldn't make something similar with a mount point for a regular outboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That sort of thing could well work. i could go on to the rails that i have the ram tubes on and then a spreader back as yours. the rails have the full back to there is a good area for the load to be spread over.

i have the evolve but realise like you that i need to retain that for emergencies rather than getting greater distance on a no wind or wrong wind direction day (as my legs will testify!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

this is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8v2pn04K8 for Halibu's . not on the aka but i think we have a plan

CC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Travelling right now, so can't post pics, but I made a mount for my 2.5 Suzuki on the rear crossbar. Version one uses two wakeboard rack mounts and a marine 2x6 to get the outboard out about even with the aka connection. I will replace the 2x6 with a stainless bar or aluminum once I am finished fiddling. The wakeboard rack tower mounts are 1.25", and with a little rubber gasket work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-Tower ... 43af4c0f91

These little clamps are the key, so easy to work with and so solid.

Works well, though getting the height right took more monkeying than expected. I can comfortably run at 8kts on about half throttle, which means I get around two hours on a little.
Been running one tramp and one haka, tramp on the motor side. The little Suzuki weighs only 27# so doesn't add much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coachstevo wrote:
Travelling right now, so can't post pics, but I made a mount for my 2.5 Suzuki on the rear crossbar. Version one uses two wakeboard rack mounts and a marine 2x6 to get the outboard out about even with the aka connection. I will replace the 2x6 with a stainless bar or aluminum once I am finished fiddling. The wakeboard rack tower mounts are 1.25", and with a little rubber gasket work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-Tower ... 43af4c0f91

These little clamps are the key, so easy to work with and so solid.

Works well, though getting the height right took more monkeying than expected. I can comfortably run at 8kts on about half throttle, which means I get around two hours on a little.
Been running one tramp and one haka, tramp on the motor side. The little Suzuki weighs only 27# so doesn't add much.

When you get back in town, I would be interested to see pics if you have the time.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Coachstevo I would like to see this too. What hp Suzuki was your motor?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

vetgam wrote:
Coachstevo I would like to see this too. What hp Suzuki was your motor?

2.5hp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chopcat wrote:
Has anyone tried an outboard mount on the AKA? I ask as I have seen the other versions people have made but I carry a "safety" box on the rear so mounting in the rear rod mount holes does not work for me.
CC

Railblaza ports would be worth exploring. You can buy starport adaptors that can be used to attach just about anything, anywhere. The railmounts would be plenty strong, if you pinned them so they don't rotate.

Also Railblaza has a gunwale track system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i will be back next week, so will take pics.. I owe the NCKA AI folks pics too, and the salmon is going crazy so will have the boat out.

hold tight.

Nohuhu,
the railblaza mounts are still kinda dicey IMO- i worry about the plastic. would probably make it more quick disconnect though... The wakeboard mounts are nice aluminium...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're never going to shear one of these with an small motor, Stevo. Much less 2 of them. The only issue would be spinning. Easy to fix.

However, an Aka-mounted motor would work better on an AI anyway, from the pilot's perspective. This would be a great use of a "3rd rail" though, if you want to go the "TI3" route.

CC is already using a track system on his TI, so he could also explore this new option.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzaJ6_KsbU[/youtube]

http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/kayak_tracmount_pack/198/59/

Just throwing it out there for everyone to be aware of.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

well now you have me thinking of quick connect capabilities-- which is what i am lacking right now. 8 allen key bolts vs. starport? easy choice- can still mount on the aka.

How do you combat the spinning/rotating? grip tape?

T13 has sounded more and more interesting the more you all post on it. I have V1 akas, and am not going to give those up without a fight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed on the v1 Akas!

Someone more clever than me could figure all kinds of accessory mounts using a v2 TI crosstube and pivoting aka insert.

But everything from a wing seat to a motor to Hakas could be attached with the right Railblaza bases. Also these things can face other directions, not just straight up.

Their use on one of those slim trackmount systems makes things a little more interesting, still.

The railmounts have just enuff grip for the rod holders and cameras. Anything with more torque would just require a couple screws or a rivet to prevent them from turning. As a precaution, I would be comfortable with that.

Just don't use wd40 on them! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suppose too, that vibration from a 2 stroke could be a long-term issue with plastic mounts. I don't know how ruff these small motors may be on the attachments. It might even unlock them.

If it's excessive, then starports may be better suited for an electric motor.