Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

Has anyone actually used one of these setups on their AI? If so, what was your experience? Did it seem to create problems with nose-diving under waves? I know the theoretical advantages to using mesh fabric as in Kayak Bob's design, but these are priced pretty reasonably.

Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Spray-Shi ... RTM1562571

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe a set was on a boat at the start of the WaterTribe EC2014. I think I have a picture of it, but can't lay my hands on it right now. It appears to be some solid, non-porous material. Sort of a rubber-coated fabric. On an AI, I think it is nuts. The first spray skirts I had on my AI were given to me. They were made by a friend who installed them on my boat during a camping trip. The material was mesh, but not very porous. The first time that my bow dove, it scared me. It seemed like it was never going to come back up. The second time, I was only a little less nervous. I took them off and never used them again. The 70% shade cloth which KB recommends, and I have used, is excellent. You can see mine at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 and http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=300 Scroll down.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John, the Ebay Spray Shields are very similar to my first attempt at a Sprayskirt back 8+ years ago with waterproof fabric. Within minutes I had to cut slits in them to drain the large puddles weighing the nose down. I only used them 2-3 times and finally removed and destroyed them before I or someone trying them out hurt themselves. The Ebay ones are very inexpensive. My wife Dee's do-it-yourself Sprayskirts are a little over double the Ebay price (hers includes US shipping), and her full Sprayskirt kit over triple, but I think you would be much happier with the results. If you are handy at sewing, the pattern for cutting out your own AI Sprayskirt is available free to download from my website.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ebay's = bad bad bad!

KBOB'S= GOOD GOOD GOOD!

The best boats in the world use them.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is my understanding that the eBay skirts are made by the Amish (seriously), and I suspect they use the same material to cover their wagon roofs. The material is perfectly suited for the latter application and totally unsuitable for the former.

Kayakingbob makes the real deal, and you can buy from him, or download his or Chekika's patterns and make your own, but whatever you do, don't use anything less porous than shadecloth, unless you wear a snorkel...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Kayaking Bob, you'll probably be hearing from me soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And all this time I thought the whole point of these boats was to "get wet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKxn4bBJdg

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too true Tom, but the skirts help to lower the altitude of the spray from over your head to shoulder length or lower, and this has the dual effect of increasing your vision and lowering drag! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: