Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ama bar camera mount.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to have a mounting system attached to the ama bar on the deck right in front of me and directly behind the front seat on the TI so that I may attach a camera, bluetooth speaker, etc. via a camera mount. I would rather have it clamp on then drill any holes in the bar. I figured I can search all over the place or just ask the folks here if anyone knows a solution. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... es/199/59/

That's the one you want for the AI/TI camera mount, with this for the aka.
http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... 41/138/59/

Check out other items for further solutions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CR:

I checked on those RailBlaza products and they are great but the Austin Kayak folks told me that the clamps on this particular model won't fit the center arm over the deck. They are designed to fit the ama arms outboard with their slightly smaller diameter. So not going to work for my application.

I ordered a Turtle Shell Wireless Boombox ($ 99.00) which is designed to be water resistant, is small but the battery is big enough to last all day. It connects through Bluetooth to my phone. So I wanted to figure out a way to mount it in the center of the boat in front of me.

I happened to being walking through the camera dept. at WalMart and ran across a device called the Joby Gorrillapod for $ 19.00.

It's made to place a camera in unusual positions and the legs happen to wrap around the center bar on the TI just about perfect. I also used a wire-tie just to make sure it holds.

The Turtle Shell has a camera mounting hole and the pod as a snap on and off camera mounting clip. So works perfect.

Puts the box in a good position and out of the way and the sound is plenty if turned up full when sailing in higher wind and waves.

Good way to take your music with you without having to wear earphones which on a busy lake, is not very safe. I had some powerboats sneak up on me a couple of times with the earphones and didn't hear them coming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice, let us know how it holds up. Most folks want to get the camera up high, there the railblaza option works well out on the aka. There is a siderail mount, Railblaza, for the application you solved also, but then you need to drill holes. Good going on the solution.
CR Yaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use both! I have the railblaza mounts on the akas as well as some deck-mounted/haka mounted ones.

I took apart a gorillapod tripod (with a good firm pull, any of the ball/socket joints come apart and are easily pressed back together) and filled one socket with thickened epoxy, and set a railblaza starport adapter into it. Now I can pop the gorillapod links into any of my railblaza ports and attach a camera to it. The nice thing is you can adjust the amount of ball/socket joints to make a longer or shorter "arm" with the gorillapod (heavier cameras need a shorter arm length).

Gorillapod also makes a heavier-duty version, but it's a bit pricey. If I can find one cheap I'm going to get it as it's definitely a great tool to have, and when you combine it with the railblaza system there are many things it can be used for beyond a camera mount.

Here's a video using the gorillapod/railblaza and a gopro.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update: I wanted to post to let people know that my BT speaker setup with the Joby GorrillaPod works great!! I have used it many times and in all kinds of conditions. The only thing is that the front seat passenger can't lean back too far.