Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

proyak :
That's what I'm all about, regardless of the actual auxiliary propulsion system (electric or hybrid (the saga continues LOL), if any (for most none is needed)) I'm all for making the most out of what you have.
My boat has pedal drive, sails, and auxiliary propulsion, I'm all for using whatever combination you need (even all at the same time) to gain the most efficiency you can get from what you have. 99% of the time I'm using all three together (plus as a great added benefit I have a great exercise program every weekend).
That's what I love about the AI/TI's you can configure them for anything you want them to do ( actually any Hobie mirage boat...and most do).

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,
Sometimes it's just not worth it to bring along the sail as winds are now light and fickled, and it just gets in the way from the business at hand :D
-Running at slow speed utilizing the Digital Maximizer (drawing only 5 amps) should I get 30+ hours run time from my 2 DieHard Platinum (AGM) Marine Batteries - group 34M.
-Running at medium speed (drawing 25 amps) I'll get about 8 hrs. run time.
-Running at full speed (drawing 50 amps) I get around 4 hours.

I'm satisfied to run out to 300' of water (just a couple miles offshore) - there I can catch anything & everything and come home with 50% charge (constantly running fishfinder and navigation lights also), and also arrive back with something to eat and share with neighbors :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

But...they sure are fun!..
And now Bob has two, thats double the fun.

Proyak. Can you post some pictures of your battery setup please.

CC

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:
Can you post some pictures of your battery setup please.
CC

Chopcat,
re: Battery setup....is just two 12v deep cycle batteries wired in parallel (red to positive, and black to negative) sitting in 2 plastic boxes with lids behind the seat, held in place with bungees - nothing fancy or technical - a photo would only show 2 black boxes with a cable running to the Minn Kota - sorry I don't have a pic but it's pretty basic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is great debate, and reminds me of why I gave up petrol in the first place. I would have to get a much larger vessel to carry all the fuel to go the distance. Not to mention oil, flammable fuel, stink, etc. I think the evolve guys are on target (power in those situations), but is the cost worth the situation? I think I'm justing getting old and thinking "gosh, I wish I could just flip a switch to get me there".
(btw 2 12v batteries on board!?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It really is "different strokes for different strokes" as I find, at 68, that the journey is usually much more important than the destination, and take pride in my fitness improving to where even a five hour pedal is not torture on the water. I love that the only fuel needed is a good breakfast, plus intake of water during the trip. If there were roses out there, I would be smelling them! :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, Tony, more power (to pedal power.) Of course, there are zillions of sail boats out there, including sailboats with motors of varying sizes. Almost as many kayaks. What makes the AI/TI different is the mirage drive. To me, any motor on an AI/TI which effectively can replace the sail, makes these boats like any other power boat (but, usually, much less powerful.) Hey, if people want to make their AI/TI into a powerboat, more power to them (excuse the pun.) It is just not my cup of tea.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With my situation I feel I have the best of all worlds, if the winds are high enough (which is not very often around here unfortunately) I can just tilt the motors up and sail. The extra weight of the motors doesn't affect the performance of the TI in any way. Many times we have 3-4 people on the boat and it performs just fine, adding the 60 or so lbs to the boat from two motors doesn't change much of anything. Since the weight is in the back, this also helps keep the bow up and out of the water, even if I didn't have the motors, I would likely add ballast weight back there anyway. The mast on the TI is mounted so far forward you need something back there especially if you are just running solo from the front seat, as the boat is more or less designed around running around with two passengers one in front and one in back, when running solo, this knocks the balance off a bit.
Personally I like having the ability to adapt to whatever conditions are out there, and still have a good time and be able to move along at a speed that is acceptable to me (even in very low winds). The problem I have is if it's a hot day and sunny(most of the year here) if your out on the water with no breeze to cool you down, it's like sitting in a frying pan (and I'm the yoke (LOL)). I still pedal 100% of the time regardless of the conditions, as I consider the TI to be a pedal boat, and you need to pedal to maximize the boats efficiency (plus its a great exercise program as well for me). If I want to go up to Egmont Key (about 20 miles north) and just hang out or go snorkeling, we just go. Often times we like to just bar hop where we might venture down south and stop for lunch at Sharkys then come back. For us this is fun. I don't have to worry about if the wind is going to die, or having to tack one direction or the other (I don't tack, no need since I can sail almost directly into the wind (probably the best point of sail on my boat). The inter-coastal in narrow and mostly you have to go either north or south to get anywhere, if the winds are from north or south (which is most of the time), then every trip would be a breeze one way but a nightmare the other. This is why my boat is rigged the way I have it, I can sail efficiently regardless of the wind conditions and direction.
I do carry extra gas on board (2 gallon cans, one in the front storage in a sealed container, and another in a bag stored on the rear deck, total weight about 12 lbs). This gives me the possible range of way over a hundred miles, fact is most days I only end up using about 1/3 of a tank of fuel from each tank (each tank hold 1/3 gallon). I measure my fuel after each outing. Basically I can go out all day and have fun for under a dollar in fuel. My hybrid system is so efficient, I can't remember the last time I ran out of gas out on the water and had to add more fuel on the water. The engines when running just above idle are extremely quiet, and with no sails up propel the boat to 6-7 mph just by themselves. Then when I start pedaling and open up the sails the speed increases. By reading the sails and working them effectively I am able to average nice speeds, at the very least fast enough to keep me moving, and a breeze on my face. I don't have to worry too much about the actual wind direction, or even if there is not much wind at all (which is most of the time around here).
Of course if it's a nice windy day, I just tilt one or both motors up and don't use them that day if I don't need them. But they are always there and ready just in case conditions change, or something else breaks down, they will always get me home. I've had motors on my TI for the last 4 yrs, and don't think I have ever gone out without a motor mounted on the boat since the first time I went out on the first day I had the boat ( April 2010) and my wife and I were stranded offshore for hours when the wind died, and the tide was going out, I vowed to never get caught like that again.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a used evolve for a reasonable price. I ordered some of the necessary caps and fittings to install it from a Hobie dealer here on Vancouver Island. the parts arrived from California without the backing plate for the through hull fitting for the power cord so I will have to try and order just that piece.
T2