Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to have a bike on board, but a Hobie Island is most certainly not the perfect place for a bike. I could do with a small foldable bike but still have difficulties in finding a good solution. I have thought about car roof boxes and big water proof plastic barrels. I would like something which shields the bike from rust and might save the bike even if the boat turns upside down. Can you help me?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it were me I would get a foldable bike then make up my own foldable bag to store it in when stored on the tramp. If you buy 10 or 20 mil thick clear vinyl sheet, you simply cut out the desired outline with scissors then glue or heat seal it into a bag that th bike fits in nicely. Putting eyelets on one end of the bag so it can be cinched shut is easiest. If you leave it a little longer so the opening can be folded a couple times before cinching it would work like a dry bag. If you want to get fancy you can add a zipper, but I suspect the zipper will be more work than it's worth. Gluing a double layer of vinyl or some cloth to the high stress areas will help it last longer. If you go out in salt water it's probably a good idea to clear coat the bike (especially all the chrome) before ever taking it out. Even with the clear coat on the bike it's probably a good idea to coat the entire bike with silicone spray before each trip. As even just exposure to the salt water air will corrode the bike like crazy. After every trip hose the bike down with fresh water, let dry then re-apply the silicone spray if you want it to last. Never store the bike in the bag for long periods when not using ( like in your garage) or the trapped moisture will get you.
You can even glue in hold down straps onto the bag to make it easy to strap down to your tramp.
If I was to do something like this, I think this is the way I would approach it.
Hope this helps
Bob
Edit: the reason I mentioned vinyl is it's easy to work with, it can be welded with a clothes iron. If you want it structurally strong (like a tube or hat box shape for example) just add 1/8" fiberglass kite rod inside to make it puff/stretch out to your chosen shape. Rip stop nylon if sprayed with waterproof tent spray is also easy to work with (you can easily sew it)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, great advice, Bob--some of your best!

Personally, I would not store it on a tramp. I would store it semi-vertical in the rear storage, right behind the seat. I would also have another bag over the opening seal so rain and splashing cannot work its way in. I agree with Bob, that it cannot be stored in such a bag for an extended period, because humidity/condensation in the bag will eat your bike.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... taking it a step further, Id make the initial "bag" out of shade-cloth or something similar to the tramps as wear protection and then the outer layer out of tarp material. I can see many parts on a bike easily wearing or poking through even 20 mil plastic.

Maybe even just a good thick harbor freight tarp morphed into a bag would be enough

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A big waterproof kit/drybag with rolltop would fit a Brompton/Birdy and other gear no problem. I use something similar for bulkier camping gear you can't fit inside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your suggestions. I have some really big dry bags, but I don't trust them very much. A marine roof box would be better. Or a big "banana case": http://www.google.com/search?q=banana+case ! Bikes are usually quite similar to each other so a few different "banana cases" would do for almost all bikes.

Actually one can google for "bike case" and get results like this: http://www.labicicletta.com/accessories ... -case.html. But the case costs 1200 dollars and it still is not water proof!

Of course one could go for a cheap bike, but out of some different reasons I want an electric bike, and they sure are not cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello again! I still want a hard shell. Actually I think I am going to throw my foldable electric bike in a trash can. Like this one:

http://www.eksverktyg.se/intra_info.php ... lt-lock%2F

Well its swedish, but use Google translate if necessary. I am sure I can fasten the bin over the akas with the lid backwards towards the aft.

The bin costs about 160 dollars at the company above. I might buy two, as I am planning for a very long expedition.