Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahoy bartman49,

Good question...was curious, just called Attwood Marine in Michigan "customers questions", at (616) 897-9241.

Neither the 'Centric fully upholstered seat' nor the smaller 'Centric with removable upholstery' have any springs. They have foam padding. I usually hose off my smaller seat after a good saltwater soaking, and the upholstery snaps off if needed. it is comfortable. The Centric fully upholstered seat sure looks comfortable and I don't see a problem with salt water as it looks fully enclosed, but others may have info on that one.

The 'Centric SAS fully upholstered seat' DOES have springs, and a previous post above indicates the bottom of that seat is different and may not fit as well?

The seats do make a sail very comfortable for the pre-2015 Hobie Island boats, and they fit nicely into the seat well area on those. Meanwhile I tried putting one in a 2015 but the front seat bar built into those would have to be removed first, and the seat well is wider and flatter compared to the pre-2015s.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Correction, sorry, I said in the last post ...", and a previous post above indicates the bottom of that seat is different and may not fit as well?" and that is not correct. The Centric 2 bottom is different.

...so the choice is somewhere among the Centric SAS, the Centric, and the smaller Centric with removable upholstery, not the Centric 2 aka Centric II.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Attwood seats when I saw that there's a Tempress brand Contour replacement model that sells for considerably less and looks very similar in shape. Has anyone tried that model and does if fit in the seat recess area as well as the Attwood contour models?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Tempress skipper seat in my AI. It needs modifications to fit. It doesn't come close to the comfort and ease of my Attwood Centric SAS for the TI. In fact if I ever used the AI again I would take the Tempress out and slide in my Attwood. Of course there are many different Tempress styles, don't know which your talking about, measurements? how will it fit, needed modifications?. I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel here, we know the Attwood Centric works. But if you do want to experiment, please let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting thread.

I am tempted to try this for my 2011 TI.

These seats will work in the front seat as well? Sounds like they would.

More pics if you got these seats on your TI would be great!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep this is a great thread.

I think I will try at least one seat, tempted to get 2.

I am thinking the one without the springs - I think it is slightly higher than the one without?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your using at least one ama always, then I don't think you have to worry about height of the base and balance. Go for comfort. The Attwood website doesn't give this dimension for the Concentric I vs. Concentric I SAS base height, but I could imagine it would be slightly lower without the Springs, I have not tried both so I couldn't compare comfort, but I would imagine that my SAS is definitely more comfortable. The concentric with the removable pads, definitely would sit a bit lower.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed in any of these models. If your like me getting up a lot while fishing then I think it may be wise to get the one that sits highest and most comfortable, the SAS for the back seat, where I always sit solo or tandem.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/cate ... s/centric0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw this thread and order the Attwood Concentric SAS. Looking forward to trying it out. What appealed to me was being able to get up out of the seat more easily to move about my TI. I'm getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mark.

MotoE. - post back once you get your seat. Maybe some pics too....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will post my thoughts on the Attwood seat once it arrives. It's supposed to get here Monday and the forecast is for decent winds that day so hope to give it a try then. About time to dig out the cold weather gear also. It's finally cooling off in SoCal. I'm thinking the seat will help keep me warmer being raised up and not sitting in water.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went sailing in the bay today with the new seat. It is so comfortable. I sit high and dry, which was really nice today in the bay because it's getting cold. I like sitting up higher and it's so much easier to stand up and move around. I did have the feeling I was going to slide off into the water because I don't have the side of the TI holding me in place but I think this feeling will go away as I get more used to the seating position. Working the pedals was nice because you are pushing down more and just feels more natural. Here's a link to flicker to see a couple of photos. I couldn't figure out how to post the image even though I've done it in the past. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136946377@N07/23075077966/in/dateposted-public/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks good. Thanks for the pics and info.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a good seat, so much so that I'm considering an upgrade!

The only issue seems to be that it's not available in Australia, although I'm sure there are similar/identical ones
sold under local brand-names - I guess they're all made in China?

This seems to look similar:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2015-Boa ... 2033982709

Could an Attwood-ownesr take some measurements of the seat base and back, so I can check local models to see if they're the same?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mingle,

re:
"Could an Attwood-owner take some measurements of the seat base and back, so I can check local models to see if they're the same?"

The Attwood Marine website makes the seat dimensions available by clicking on any seat and then "technical specifications (pdf)" for each seat:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/cate ... s/centric0 (This shows the 3 seats that fit the Hobies)

then for one of the centric seats for example;

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/ ... h-back.jpg (This shows the dimensions in inches)

...but it seems that one could order any Attwood product on line and have it delivered?? Many internet companies show availability.

The secret of the Attwood seats is the curvature on the seat bases that happen to fit nicely into the AI and TI seat wells, and then the seats are well made and very comfortable/ideal for our boats. Hope u can get one, if so let us know how it's done outside the U.S.? Have a good one over there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next