Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Traveler system
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone tried to outfit the TI with traveler for the main sheet. Even with the lack of a boom, I feel that the down wind experience could improve a fair amount with a small 32-40" traveler. I have a feeling it would increase your angles both up and down wind.
I just got my TI a month ago.

Post subject: Re: TI Traveler system
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pops, as traveller is not so likely to improve your angles as to marginally improve your speed at an existing pointing angle. For instance, when close-hauled, the centre position for the "traveller" would be where the current fixed position is. On a beam reach, it would improve the sail shape if the clew went to a point at the leeward end of the "traveller".

Going further towards downwind, if I am particularly concerned about maximising speed (a rare event due to my inherent state of relaxation!), I simply hold the clew out via a small notch at the end of my paddle, which catches the knot in the little dangly rope (technical term) hanging from the clew. This creates a bigger sail area visible to the wind coming over the stern.

As regards fitting a traveller, I believe the engineering requirements would be a serious deterrent, as the stern is quite narrow, and it would be extremely difficult to counteract the forward and upward forces involved. Moving the traveller forward would interfere with sail shape by opening up the leech and reduce sail power.

I think you will get more comfortable with time on the water, and the need for a traveller will diminish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good explanation Tony for us not so experienced sailors.

( Although you do need to talk to your marketing team about a name change for your patented dangly rope thing-em-y-jig ).

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Tony, on the TI, where do you attach the other end of the paddle? Can you handle this from the rear seat? Worried about gybing or losing the paddle?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After sailing my new TI 2-3 days per week for the past 2 months, I feel there are a couple of improvements that I'd like to explore, but I do concede that this boat is fun and performs quite well right out of the box.

I'd rather not debate the difference between improving speed at existing angles and improving angles of sail themselves is what could be achieved because it's essentially the same thing. If you take the boat the the edge of where it can efficiently sail up or down wind, can sailing characteristics be improved upon at those edges. A little more speed or a little more angle or both, I believe so.

I feel that a small platform for the rear seat position that included a small traveler to the aft seems like a reasonable modification after seeing the 3rd aka brace mods that have been done. I feel that being able to hike out even 12-18" for the rear seat would really be a benefit, especially for single handing the boat.

Secondly, a drop down center board for the front mirage drive slot! Has anyone done this? It seems like a no brainer to me.

I have single handed the boat from the front seat but rudder input is greatly reduced by the lack of weight in the rear, but when I go to the back seat the boat doesn't track very well especially up wind due to the minimal sized center board and the fact that it is only on one side of the boat.

Is there anyone exploring these modifications?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pops,

Check out this thread:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52441 there are other people exploring larger center boards.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pops, regarding the Traveler, have you seen what tweaker lines can do? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1bTRSA-5U Its on an AI. He shows them at 2:13.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cheers for the video Jim. I'm thinking I need tweaker for better downwind runs on my ti I was thinking where the little black rings are at the end of the outriggers (I still get the names wrong) would be about the right angle. Anyone got thoughts or info that would help?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pops

This is video showing my system, sounds like this is what you are talking about. Really shows after min 2, I have over 1,000 miles with no issues up to 25 knts, great for anything off wind since it is adjustable, if you need any photos let me know. Hopefully link works, may have to copy and paste it.
http://youtu.be/DVG5ViSC-Gs

Pedalon